What made you certain that the Bible is a lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2012, 09:56 AM
RE: What made you certain that the Bible is a lie?
(26-12-2012 08:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome, Hannah.

We've got a lot of teens running around here, so I think you'll fit right in.
Running... around! *giggle snort*

*sigh*

Yeah, what he said.

That and running into each other Hug, butting heads Argue, constantly whining Sadcryface2, having tantrums Weeping, bothering ancient folk Einstein... Nah. That's just me having fun with emoticons. Big Grin You'll fit in great! Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
26-12-2012, 10:06 AM
What made you certain that the Bible is a lie?
Hannah, I could give you a long boring dissertation about dubious authorship, political agenda in canonization, scribal transmission errors, poorly preserved texts, contradictory information, poor science, abhorrent behavior deemed righteous, and on and on. But I think you'll gain much more by starting yourself off with this well-made, factual documentary.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/bib...crets.html

Enjoy!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
26-12-2012, 05:19 PM
I was just having an open disagreement with my true-believing Mom and she actually admitted that the Bible could have "huge mistakes" and that Abraham was probably psycho for being willing to kill Isaac, and she still is super defensive about everything and makes excuses for every doubt I point out.
I want peace and comfort, which is why I hate bringing this stuff up, but I also need truth. Any advice? I am trying to be super kind and understanding. Uggggh Sad
26-12-2012, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2012 05:52 PM by frankiej.)
Howdy!

I have never believed in any god, so I have never been religious. Nae need for me to answer your initial questions.

[Image: opforum1.png]
26-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Sure you just don't need hugs and ice cream? And you probably should go a lot slower.

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-12-2012, 08:28 PM
For me, it was also the flooding of the earth/Noah's ark. That's messed up.

Being an Atheist is freeing. Glad you're here!
26-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Most people have certain interests that they gravitate towards and strangely we all come to the "probably no gods" conclusion through different fields. For instance, someone who is drawn towards space and the mind-expanding study of astrophysics may find that in this vast universe, we see no existence of gods. Kids with chemistry sets may grow up to become biologists and discover that we don't need a deity to explain all our inner workings. The young philosophers only have to ask "why?" enough times and they will have poked holes in every tenet of religion. God is equally absent in all fields of life.

Personally, I'm a people watcher. I'm a quiet guy and like to observe human behaviors - why we do what we do and say what we say. And when I was a kid I noticed something about Christians. They weren't interested in the truth. When I had questions about this religion I was being forced into accepting, the people who were supposed to have the answers, never did. The priests and the parents and grandparents all dismissed any questions and answered them with vague feel-good statements designed to shut you up.

Why do so many people die and suffer every day if God is good?

"Well... God works in mysterious ways."

If God created us, who created God?

"The shepherd tends his flock with grace and love, my child."

What?

You start to realize that no one knows the answers because no one bothered to ask. They just obeyed, did as they were told, and are now stuck with this silly childish belief system as an adult because they're too embarrassed to turn back now.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 5 users Like Buddy Christ's post
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
I think the first thing is getting rid of the idea of being certain. I approach things in terms of what is most likely to be true. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. There is really no way to confirm the supernatural claims in the Bible.
Also, since there were all kinds or cultural religions that are similar to Christianity, and all these other religions that are based on supernatural revelations, how can you ever trust a revelation that was made to someone else (like Paul in the Bible), but discount Joseph Smith, or any other revelations made to other religious figures? There are good natural explanations for so many things, so why accept supernatural explanations when the simple answer is that there is probably a natural explanation for how the Christian religion got started.
03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
I started doubting when I was in school. I attended a Baptist school k-5. The teacher was talking about mythology, Greek, Roman myths...I don't remember why but later we were talking about Noah and flood (they believed it was very literal -- being the word of god and all) and I remember not questioning the whole flood or the animals or Noah's age....it was the end of the story and the bit about the rainbow that got me. God's promise that he'd never destroy the earth again by flood.

I suddenly made the connection to mythology. Jonah and the big fish (whale) all those stories about Abraham and Issac, Sampson, Moses were all mythological characters....no less important than Zeus. There were people in that church that truly believed that men must have ONE less rib than women.

But the New Testament...well that must be true? Um..no more onion peeling....the whole thing surrounding jesus' life was nothing more than a game of chinese whispers at best -- at worst, it was all made up. Outside the bible there's not a whole lot about jesus. There isn't a lot of corroborating evidence that isn't based on seeing a vision (which hardly amounts to anything).

So, had the Noah story stopped just before the whole crap about the rainbow -- I might still be a believer today.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
For me it is a combination of things. I don't know if I ever truly believed. Even when I was in church and sunday school, I was told to ask questions. I always liked to ask the tough questions and when the teacher had no answers, I could see the anger in their face. They would tell me they would find out the answer and then they would just hope I would forget by the following sunday. I have also read the bible from beginning to end. There is so much false info in there, it is quite absurd. I was told from a young age that the bible is the word of god, cannot be altered, and is 100% true. Then we have whole books that are "not followed anymore". I heard someone on a youtube video say that "what was true 2000 years ago, is still true today.". I see it the other way around. What has been proven to be untrue today, was also untrue 2000+ years ago. 2000 years ago, we believed the earth was flat. We know now and have known for quite some time that the earth is a sphere. According to the logic of the christians, the earth must have only become a sphere when we discovered that it was a sphere. You can always tell how truthful someone is being by how easily they become angry when you dispute them.