What made you proud when you were a child?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 08:45 AM
What made you proud when you were a child?
See subject of this thread.

I'll give it a start.

When I was 10, my mom was singing in a choir concert and she brought me along. They had a person to turn the pages for the pianist but that person apparently didn't show up. So my mom had pointed at me from a distance and the pianist came to me and asked "Can you read music" and I said "yes" and he asked me if I could turn the pages for him during that long piece.
He told me exactly how he wanted it (always a measure in advance) and where I should stand etc.
And I was soooo proud that I was the page turner for the pianist!!
After the piece was done, he nodded at me respectfully and I returned to my seat Cool

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
22-04-2017, 08:48 AM
RE: What made you proud when you were a child?
Nothing, I was bullied all the way through high school and had low self esteem.

I don't think every kid has a peachy keen childhood. I was lucky, I outgrew it, but my childhood was not much fun. The only good thing is that I managed to stay out of trouble and outgrew the destructive things I did.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2017, 08:54 AM
(22-04-2017 08:48 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Nothing, I was bullied all the way through high school and had low self esteem.

I don't think every kid has a peachy keen childhood. I was lucky, I outgrew it, but my childhood was not much fun. The only good thing is that I managed to stay out of trouble and outgrew the destructive things I did.

So during your whole childhood, you never did anything at all that you were proud of?
I was bullied too, but I did things that I was very proud of. I just didn't measure me feeling good about something I did by the bullies.
Like, when I was 11 I did a super mario speed run with all short cuts and although I died in the last bowser boss castle, I was proud that I had come that far that fast. Or when I was a teenager, the bullying was the worst but I learned my favourite 8 verse poem in one sitting by heart and I was proud of it, It had nothing to do with bullies. Just with me being proud of an accomplishment.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
22-04-2017, 09:05 AM
(22-04-2017 08:54 AM)Leerob Wrote:  
(22-04-2017 08:48 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Nothing, I was bullied all the way through high school and had low self esteem.

So during your whole childhood, you never did anything at all that you were proud of?
I was bullied too, but I did things that I was very proud of. I just didn't measure me feeling good about something I did by the bullies.
Like, when I was 11 I did a super mario speed run with all short cuts and although I died in the last bowser boss castle, I was proud that I had come that far that fast. Or when I was a teenager, the bullying was the worst but I learned my favourite 8 verse poem in one sitting by heart and I was proud of it, It had nothing to do with bullies. Just with me being proud of an accomplishment.

No, I wont claim I never smiled or laughed. But no, nothing that I would say stands out. I spent too much time running from bullies and at the same time spent too much time throwing myself at other kids/teens trying to fit in, which did really nothing but make me a door mat. I didn't have any real friend until high school.

I look back at it now and regret all that time wasted caring about what others thought of me. But when you are sensitive and awkward and don't know any better you end up blaming yourself for not fitting in and that kind of lack of self esteem does hurt yourself.

I wasn't a bad kid and never got arrested, but no, I barely got passing grades and spent more time trying to fit in and be what others though I should be instead of being myself.

It's not a matter of "shame" or "pride" but it was what it was and it emotionally tough for me more often than not. I do not want to repeat my childhood. I am much happier now and have things I am very happy I have done.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
22-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Hard as I try to remember, there's not a single thing I've been proud of. I was bullied too and it's hard to not remember that. What made it worse was that teachers were on the forefront of doing the bullying, so that I mostly felt sick when going to school. Today they would be out of a job pretty soon, but that's not how things worked 40 years ago.

That's not to say, my childhood was all bad. But there is nothing I remember to take pride in.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
22-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Can't say it filled me with an overwhelming sense of pride or anything, but in the first grade my teacher asked if anyone knew a poem about an important historical figure (was the day he was hanged by the Turks, something we... well, not exactly celebrate, pay our respects, rather) and I did (I used to learn poems by heart for fun, as a kid. Like, I learnt this really humongous one for no reason other than why not). I did and I went to recite it in front of a whole bunch of other students.

On the other hand, I've had to play the boy part in a dance recital I did when very very young. No idea why, it's not as if I looked like a boy or anything Dodgy

I think I tend to purposefully diminish and look down upon my (non-existent) achievements, so while I had a nice childhood, I can't remember anything that made me feel especially proud of myself.

I was very good at baseball/softball (whatever it was we used to play as kids)? All, sports, really.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-04-2017, 09:50 AM
I don't ever remember feeling proud of myself. If parents or friends praised me for some reason, I don't remember a sense of pride because of it. It just was what it was.

Looking over my life, I am most proud that I have always lived without be hypocritical. Even when I believed it was always I am what I say I am and I don't pretend otherwise.

That and I have always stood against bullying and I befriended people others didn't and I look continue to look for and expect people to be good...even though I am often disappointed.

But...not proud because of it.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
22-04-2017, 10:02 AM
I liked scoring 100 on spelling quizzes.
22-04-2017, 10:05 AM
I was proud when I learned to water ski.

When I learned to swim, ride a bike- when I won races and scored goals (rarely)
22-04-2017, 10:24 AM
singing lead parts in our 60 member choir 4~6th grade.
Excelling at tests.