What made you proud when you were a child?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2017 10:43 AM by yakherder.)
RE: What made you proud when you were a child?
Consistently whooping everyone's ass at those speed math quizzes we used to have where they'd give us like a minute to do as many relatively simple problems as possible.

When my stepfather started tasking me or taking me with during halibut season, either to cook on the boat if his cook couldn't make it or to hunt and take care of the cabin while they were out. I liked showing off my kills in the same way my cat liked showing me his and glowed with pride when a bunch of hungry guys were gorging on something I'd brought back.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
22-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Page-turning is way harder than it looks! Once, a pianist friend of mine asked me to turn pages at a recital. I figured there'd be nothing to it, then got to the venue and found out we were all going to be on television...I made it through and got (most) of the repeats, but I think I'd have felt less nervous if I'd been performing, rather than turning the pages.

Nothing made me proud as a kid; every time I tried to show off an accomplishment I was chastised for it. I was expected by my parents as a matter of course to be at the top of every class--and I was--but that was still not a laudable achievement. My mother made a point of telling me that my achievements didn't mean much because I was in such terrible school systems (and she implied that it was also kind of sad I was so unattractive). Teach myself to read? Didn't pronounce "child" correctly when I read the book to my mother. Win a state math contest? Virginia, so it doesn't count. Get the highest SATs in my class? See previous answer.

I was a performing monkey par excellence, racking up score after score and scholarship after scholarship; none of that made my parents proud. (Or at least none of it made my parents proud enough to tell me so.)

In retrospect I can feel proud about lots of things. The main thing I feel proud about is surviving and figuring out that my parents were wrong about almost everything. They were wrong in thinking that being at the top of the class in a Virginia school was not an accomplishment. They were also, of course, wrong in thinking that accomplishing academically makes one person better than another. They are fucked up, unhappy people.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
22-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Every time I felt some sort of pride my parents either downplayed the importance of the accomplishments or dismissed them completely.

When I was chosen to sing in a duet in a show at school they didn't think it was worth attending.

When I got the best report card I had in HS it still wasn't good enough. When I did really, really well on the college entrance exams (ACT) I was told that I couldn't choose my major (teaching hearing impaired kids) because it wouldn't lead to a lucrative enough career. The guidance counselor at school came looking for me to tell me how I scored because he was so excited that I did so well and didn't want to wait to tell me...I was walking on cloud 9 till I told my parents. Undecided

I suppose that's why I made a big deal of things like that with my kids and attended nearly everything they were involved in and also every awards ceremony.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
22-04-2017, 12:14 PM
I was proud when in fifth grade I won first place with an electromagnet design which won first place in my school's science fair and third place in the citywide fair.

I was proud when at sixteen I figured out the guitar solo to Boston's "More Than a Feeling" -- without a guitar in hand or a tape deck handy, just walking home from school with the song in my head. Once I got home, I picked up my guitar and the solo came out about 80% right. That felt good -- I knew I was onto something, there.

Other small moments -- holding my own in a fight ( I was always the new kid, always harassed for it), building a model airplane or ship well, helping my dad do stuff around the house or working on the car.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
22-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Good grades.
22-04-2017, 02:26 PM
I had a three wheel bicycle (not a trike) in 1959 that made me HOT STUFF!
My peddle car with all the dashboard stuff was my 2nd proudest thing.

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
22-04-2017, 04:05 PM
I was very lucky. My parents thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was the last of 8 kids and a sort of mistake but a happy mistake. My mother wasn't supposed to have any more kids. Oops.

I was proud of my ability to dance. I had a nice sense of movement, rhythm and flexibility and I really enjoyed this aspect of myself and had fun with it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Not that I want people to stop talking about this, but can this part of the thread maybe be split please? *looks at moms*
Kinda escalated to a place where there is no coming back to what it actually was for > "I was proud of x" or "I wasn't proud of things"

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
22-04-2017, 07:47 PM
When I was in first grade the school principal retired. Out of the whole school I was chosen to go up on the stage and hand him flowers and recite a poem about him.

I was so impressed, to this day I remember what the man looked like even though I only saw him that one time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-04-2017, 08:13 PM
I've seriously been thinking all day about this question and I finally have an answer. XD

When I was 10 years old my 5th grade teacher decided that, since it was nearing the end of the school year, that she'd spend a couple minutes before we got into our lessons about what she liked about us all individually.
I had absolutely no self-esteem at the time and I thought I'd either be forgotten about or I'd get something really generic like "You are a really smart kid." or something.

I was one of the first people who she spoke about but she did it in a way that I'll never forget.

She said "There's an artist in the class, can you guess who it is?"
Everyone assumed it was a boy in my class but then she looked at me.

I lit up. Then, later after everyone in the class was watching some video about something historical (I was an amazing student. XD) she asked me to come over to her. I went up and she handed me poster board and a box of art supplies and asked me to draw her some posters for the classroom for next year. I was so happy.
[+] 3 users Like Larai19's post