What made you proud when you were a child?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 08:16 PM
RE: What made you proud when you were a child?
Uh... nothing really. Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Oh yeah, I took a punch for a friend in middle school. That was one thing.

22-04-2017, 09:04 PM
I am probably on the same boat as Brian.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
22-04-2017, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2017 10:59 AM by yakherder.)
On the flipside, it's fun seeing what my kids are proud of. And also what they're not proud of that I think they should be.

The other day my youngest (2) was sitting on his little toddler potty and pooped in it for the first time (he's a bit behind where my 5 year old was, which is fine). He got up and started yelling excitedly about his caca. For the past couple weeks, his new thing (must have picked it up at daycare) is yelling "tuhduh!" like a magician when he accomplishes some random feat. I could almost see the gears working in his head as he paused for a moment, decided this was the perfect time to say it, and raised his arms and yelled "tuhduh!" Because my mind works in weird ways, the image reminded me of a magician pulling a rabbit out of his hat and I immediately imagined him saying "Watch me pull a caca out of my..." you know, and then yelling "tuhduh!" and I just about died laughing.

My 5 year old is at this point fully bilingual and it's fascinating watching him in a conversation in a mixture of people who favor either English or French and how easily he weaves back and forth between the two. Everyone is in awe except him. He thinks nothing of it.

From our various foraging outings, bird watching, etc., I'm also impressed at how good he's becoming at identifying things like wild herbs, edible plants, mushrooms, and birds. If he's with some other kids and they hear birds chirping and the other kids say "I hear birds singing!" he's like "Yeah, I hear a cardinal, a bluejay, and a chickadee" and I'm just sitting quietly in the background beaming with ego.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
22-04-2017, 09:21 PM
(22-04-2017 09:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  On the flipside, it's fun seeing what my kids are proud of. And also what they're not proud of that I think they should be.

The other day my youngest (2) was sitting on his little toddler potty and pooped in it for the first time (he's a bit behind where my 5 year old was, which is fine). He got up and started yelling excitedly about his caca. For the past couple weeks, his new thing (must have picked it up at daycare) is yelling "tuhduh!" like a magician when he accomplishes some random feat. I could almost see the gears working in head head as he paused for a moment, decided this was the perfect time to say it, and raised his arms and yelled "tuhduh!" Because my mind works in weird ways, the image reminded me of a magician pulling a rabbit out of his hat and I immediately imagined him saying "Watch me pull a caca out of my..." you know, and then yelling "tuhduh!" and I just about died laughing.

My 5 year old is at this point fully bilingual and it's fascinating watching him in a conversation in a mixture of people who favor either English or French and how easily he weaves back and forth between the two. Everyone is in awe except him. He thinks nothing of it.

From our various foraging outings, bird watching, etc., I'm also impressed at how good he's becoming at identifying things like wild herbs, edible plants, mushrooms, and birds. If he's with some other kids and they hear birds chirping and the other kids say "I hear birds singing!" he's like "Yeah, I hear a cardinal, a bluejay, and a chickadee" and I'm just sitting quietly in the background beaming with ego.

You're a great dad! Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
22-04-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm late to the party. Art, math and handball.

In kindergarten I painted a rooster sitting on a fence with a house in the background which got a lot of attention. In first grade the teacher gave me a book with a picture of a boat on the water and asked me to draw it with chalk on the blackboard so the rest of the class could copy it. I made it as big as I could reach and when I got back to my seat I was surprised how much it looked like the pic in the book.

In late elementary school I started expressing patterns in math. I remember the thrill of writing 1/A + 1/B = (B+A)AB. This was before studying algebra but seemed the best way to show the pattern I was noticing.

In seventh grade I was such a weakling I couldn't throw a basketball as high as the rim. But I could beat anyone in my class in handball after having played my right hand against my left against our garage door for hours after school every afternoon in upper elementary school.

Scholastically though my mother was a dropout and she was awfully proud of any passing score on any assignment or report card. Approval seemed pretty automatic and irrelevant.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
22-04-2017, 10:12 PM
(22-04-2017 08:13 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I've seriously been thinking all day about this question and I finally have an answer. XD

Me too.

Although, for me, "all day" is only about 3 hours.

And by "thinking...about", I mean that I've been analysing the question.

I think there is the introvert's perspective and the extrovert's perspective. And we've had examples of both so far.

Pride for the extrovert comes from recognition of an achievement by someone else, often, I suspect, someone higher in the dominance hierarchy.

Pride for the introvert comes in the achievement itself... a job well done... an inner peace / sense of satisfaction.

Most healthy humans probably experience both as few of us are fully extrovert or fully introvert in all contexts.

Furthermore, in the latter case, if someone else recognises that achievement they're likely to get a "meh" response which the observer might judge to be pride/arrogance in an adult as noted here...

(22-04-2017 09:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  ...
Everyone is in awe except him. He thinks nothing of it.

I think this is part of the development of the Theory of Mind.

Of course, no one is going to think of a 5 year old as arrogant but in an adult, say a professor who is all book-learned and stuff, the lack of awareness that anyone cares or might be impressed by something that comes naturally to them has something to do with the 'ivory tower' perception.

We've seen rejection of scientists and other types of expert recently with Brexit and climate change deniers... I'm thinking this has something to do with the link (as perceived by many) between achievement and pride and arrogance.

Consider

I'm quite proud of that analysis.

Smartass

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
23-04-2017, 12:40 AM
At 15 I repeatedly outfought a HEMA champion with nearly 28 years of experience on me. I lead a very active and varied life even as a child and did a lot of stuff I'm proud of but that was my finest moment.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
23-04-2017, 03:15 AM
I recall coming top of my class in spelling tests repeatedly during 5th grade, 11 years of age.

PS: Hema???

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-04-2017, 05:14 AM
(23-04-2017 03:15 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I recall coming top of my class in spelling tests repeatedly during 5th grade, 11 years of age.

PS: Hema???

Now that you mention that, that's one thing I was proud of. In primary.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]