What makes TTA different?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 02:26 PM
What makes TTA different?
I was thinking about this... what makes us different (better/worse) than other atheist forums... or... other forums in general?

Many of us feel that this is the best community we've been a part of... but why is that?

Anyone have an answer?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: What makes TTA different?
kingschosen Wrote:Many of us feel that this is the best community we've been a part of... but why is that?

Isn't it obvious?

We have me. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
31-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Never been anywhere else. Cool enough place.

Your signature doesn't work on my end KC

[Image: 9f6.gif]
31-07-2013, 02:34 PM
(31-07-2013 02:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I was thinking about this... what makes us different (better/worse) than other atheist forums... or... other forums in general?

Many of us feel that this is the best community we've been a part of... but why is that?

Anyone have an answer?

Probably because it's more geared to the 'common man' than other sites and forum. Maybe it's Seth Andrews' 'Salt-Of-The-Earth' style, but the site just seems more relateable than, say, Richard Dawkins.net, etc.

That's been the major problem with atheism in the past and, I think, discouraged a lot of closeted nonbelievers from ever coming out. Atheists were perceived as stuffy, bitter, elderly academics or shut ins with no life. The Thinking Atheist seems to have offered proof that there are plenty of everyday, normal people who you would meet on the street. The only difference is, that they don't believe in God.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
31-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Classically, I would say the "hands-off" approach to moderation and restriction on the forum. Too much on other forums leaves a bad taste in my mouth and discourages me from even trying.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
31-07-2013, 02:37 PM
A lot of forums aren't as lenient and welcoming as this forum. Most are too strict. This place is more open minded and reasonable and also gives the vibe of a big warm community- a family, rather- and it has from day one.

We've also got a handful of interesting characters here; Cantor, Girly, etc. Smile
31-07-2013, 02:37 PM
My top reasons are because:

- I initially stayed because it wasn't over moderated. This makes it feel less 'club' like and more all-inclusive. The diversity opens my mind and helps to explore in a free environment.

- it's big enough that new topics/people are always coming in, but small enough that should people choose to stay everyone gets to know everyone, gives it a community feel.

That's what sticks out strongly to me.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
31-07-2013, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2013 02:42 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
I think some forums have a different focus. If I agree too much -- it's dull and if I disagree with too much, I become annoyed. For me, this place had a balance I was looking for. Also -- as I got to know how the people really are -- it's become the main reason I stay.

I really like most people here a bunch..you guys are like family to me...we don't all have to agree on everything...we agree on enough..

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I like that all sorts of topics are here. It's not just a place to get away from religion and it's not a place that is all science, all the time. The community feel of sharing music, movies, accomplishments in life, jobs, asking for advice, the good-natured teasing, and the wildly diverse group of regulars interspersed with characters that show up now and then.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
31-07-2013, 03:00 PM
The variety of characters, personalities, and humors make this place worth while. It is not devoid of intimacy like so many other forums. In many aspects, we are exactly what Atothetheist refers to us as. A family.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]