What makes me maddest about theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 03:37 PM
What makes me maddest about theists
So I've been off for a few days, since finals are upon us (oh woe is us!) but with my linear algebra final passed and my next final on Friday I thought I would post some thoughts.

Last week was dead week, the week before finals when a lot of activities are cancelled in order to help studying. No tests are given. No new material covered. Review sessions are rampant. And into our campus four days in a row were the obnoxious preachers.

The first ones were the people pushing the bible as a "valuable and useful cultural touchstone that has led development through time." They took credit for freeing slaves, inventing science, and for guiding morals. They called secularism a scourge. I YELLED at these people. Loudly. I called them liars and told them that while they had the right to say and post this stuff they should be ashamed of coming onto a university campus and telling lies to people. I was accused of being "mad at god" and they were shocked that my church experience was all positive.

Next comes the creationists. The ones who don't want to know. I offer to show them the evidence and they refuse to see. I offer to defend and explain and they dismiss it. I don't think these particular people were lieing (although they were dishonest), I think they are ao invested and so indoctrinated that they CANT see out. They don't want to know. They are willfully ignorant. And while I hate to use the word, if there is one sin a person can commit it is willfull ignorance.

The last is the abusive hellfire preacher. The one who threatens. The one who is more ignorant than the rest, I managed to pull out that he was a geocentrist. This one angered me the most, and it took me a while to figure out why.

Ignorance can be fixed, I have no problem with that. Willfull ignorance is immoral, a crime committed against the self and it angers me and is tragic. Lieing to people is atrocious, but it doesn't anger me as much as the last guy did.

It's one thing to be willfully ignorant. Fine, I can't stop you. But to come onto a university campus, stand in front of a library in front of those who will have to make your world function, who have come to learn and to expand their minds, and tell them that knowledge itself is evil? That pisses me right the fuck off. You come onto the campus and tell people who make sure your water is safe to drink that they are evil, to tell those who build the roads and make sure your food is good to eat that they are wrong and doing no good for society. That makes me angry.

The arrogance, the self righteousness, the hubris all rolled into one. The condescending tone to those whose good graces he relies upon. The spitting on your benefactors. That is what angers me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like natachan's post
04-05-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: What makes me maddest about theists
But Jesus LOVES you.....

Now do what he says -- or ELSE!!!!

know just how ya feel...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-05-2015, 09:20 PM
I'd have to say the the believers who piss me off the most are the condescending assholes who think we're ignorant for not believing.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
04-05-2015, 09:32 PM
(04-05-2015 09:20 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'd have to say the the believers who piss me off the most are the condescending assholes who think we're ignorant for not believing.

I am more annoyed by the fools who say (or think) we actually have a "choice" to accept their bullshit. It's like telling we have a choice to accept that there's a red rhino in the bathtub. What fucking planet do they live on ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Or the ass munchers like William Lane Craig and Sye Ten Cockgobbler who say we all know God is real but we're being willfully ignorant to Him.

The debate between Sye and Matt D made me want to commit mass homicide.
04-05-2015, 10:12 PM
For me it's the people that accept an act of cruel torture as a part of god's "good & loving" plan.

I saw a video of a christian kid who saw nothing inherently wrong with slavery as long as it was done with good christian values.

WTF ?

Then I thought, "well then, if someone should kidnap him and chain him in a basement for the next 20 years, raping him 2-3 times a day, he should be ok with it. After all, no rape in the 10 commandments."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
04-05-2015, 10:36 PM
(04-05-2015 10:12 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  For me it's the people that accept an act of cruel torture as a part of god's "good & loving" plan.

I saw a video of a christian kid who saw nothing inherently wrong with slavery as long as it was done with good christian values.

WTF ?

Then I thought, "well then, if someone should kidnap him and chain him in a basement for the next 20 years, raping him 2-3 times a day, he should be ok with it. After all, no rape in the 10 commandments."

But this would be Sodomy!
You should know that slavery, genocide, murder, rape (of females) and plagues of varying severity are perfectly fine: but bum sex is clearly immoral! Big Grin Tongue

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
04-05-2015, 10:39 PM
(04-05-2015 09:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 09:20 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'd have to say the the believers who piss me off the most are the condescending assholes who think we're ignorant for not believing.

I am more annoyed by the fools who say (or think) we actually have a "choice" to accept their bullshit. It's like telling we have a choice to accept that there's a red rhino in the bathtub. What fucking planet do they live on ?

One where they see a red rhino in a bathtub? Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-05-2015, 11:12 PM
(04-05-2015 10:12 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  For me it's the people that accept an act of cruel torture as a part of god's "good & loving" plan.

WTF ?

I actually used to be fine with slavery until I found the Catholic Church's official teaching and even then it wasn't until I got the reasoning from Rerum Novarum that I really became actively anti-slavery.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
05-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Question RE: What makes me maddest about theists
There are some atheists too, who are overly zealous when it comes to any essential purpose or otherwise, concerning the cosmos. As to whether our accrued secular knowledge is perfect is highly debatable.