What makes me maddest about theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 06:28 PM
RE: What makes me maddest about theists
(05-05-2015 06:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 11:12 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I actually used to be fine with slavery until I found the Catholic Church's official teaching and even then it wasn't until I got the reasoning from Rerum Novarum that I really became actively anti-slavery.

You have a moral vacuum in your head. Drinking Beverage

Used to. My inner morality is still not fully formed but it is coming along. I think part of the formation has to do with the fact that I finally decided to get a personality.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
05-05-2015, 07:41 PM
(05-05-2015 12:19 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  I get you Natachan. We don't get them very much on our campus, but when I was a student in the south, we would get them quite often. I remember this preacher calling us students masturbators. One student went up to him and said "yeah, and we also like to fuck". The crowd just laughed at the preacher. Which brings up the point that laughing at them and mocking their ridiculousness is provably more effective in disarming them. Get a bunch of your friends together or your SSA (if you have one) next time they come. A roar of laughter is more likely to send them on their way with their tails between their legs.

As a freshman on campus, the first preacher I had the misfortune of seeing in the union square was none other than Fred Phelps himself. I remember thinking to myself that I could easily debate him on everything he was saying, if only I hadn't been young, shy and still a believer at the time.

The best moment was when two students made out in front of him holding up a sign that said "Less Fred, More Head". It got quite the reaction from the crowd, even in this small religious community. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
05-05-2015, 08:59 PM
(04-05-2015 11:12 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I actually used to be fine with slavery until I found the Catholic Church's official teaching and even then it wasn't until I got the reasoning from Rerum Novarum that I really became actively anti-slavery.
That bit concerns me. Would you be fine with slavery otherwise?

I'm a former Catholic, and I've never been fine with slavery.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
06-05-2015, 08:31 AM
(05-05-2015 10:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  Read the entire post, Q, and perhaps you'll get why I'm mad. But then again, that's never been your strong suit.

I did read it. I'm trying to convey how it comes off to yell at these people. I've talked with a number of street and campus preachers, and they weighed what I said more carefully because I talked with them rather than confronted them in anger.

If you simply speak to them with respect, the crowd will get on your side also. And if you can wait until they're on a break, they will REALLY listen to you--especially if they themselves are calm after exerting themselves so much.

To be honest, if we're going to talk about strong suits, self-control does not seem to be in the atheist's toolkit, at least if I go by the way people speak to me at TTA.

Self-control is...? A fruit of God's Spirit.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2015, 09:51 AM
(06-05-2015 08:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 10:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  Read the entire post, Q, and perhaps you'll get why I'm mad. But then again, that's never been your strong suit.

I did read it. I'm trying to convey how it comes off to yell at these people. I've talked with a number of street and campus preachers, and they weighed what I said more carefully because I talked with them rather than confronted them in anger.

If you simply speak to them with respect, the crowd will get on your side also. And if you can wait until they're on a break, they will REALLY listen to you--especially if they themselves are calm after exerting themselves so much.

To be honest, if we're going to talk about strong suits, self-control does not seem to be in the atheist's toolkit, at least if I go by the way people speak to me at TTA.

Self-control is...? A fruit of God's Spirit.
Some people in this forum are tired of your dishonest horseshit " arguments " . You are trolling this forum for a good 8- 9 months. That's pretty impressive but theist trolls are rarely banned in the thinking atheist site. People with this kind of trolling would not last a month in any site. Why are you here anyway ? 8-9 months of trolling isn't enough for you ? For Jupiter's cock you are pathetic !No

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
06-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Suck my toolkit Q.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to be here.
06-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Interesting. I just gave you information on how to get a crowd to agree with you as a skeptic when confronting a Christian preacher you feel isn't being, well, Christian, and you are attacking me.

I also told you how to gain ground with the preacher to help convince him of the strength of your ideas!

I'm sorry I haven't yet deconverted for your amusement, I can learn at TTA without changing my mind overall, can't I? That does not mean I am here without learning new things. I'm not a troll and I treat you with respect. And I'm learning.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2015, 03:43 PM
I for one do not respect you Q, so why should you be entitled to receive respect?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
06-05-2015, 04:13 PM
(06-05-2015 02:31 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Interesting. I just gave you information on how to get a crowd to agree with you as a skeptic when confronting a Christian preacher you feel isn't being, well, Christian, and you are attacking me.

I also told you how to gain ground with the preacher to help convince him of the strength of your ideas!

I'm sorry I haven't yet deconverted for your amusement, I can learn at TTA without changing my mind overall, can't I? That does not mean I am here without learning new things. I'm not a troll and I treat you with respect. And I'm learning.

This is again you assuming the preacher agrees to your value system. You make this presumption an awful lot for someone to believe you aren't trolling in a sense, not that you're dishonest, but that you engage in the same behavior without adjustment to agitate manner.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-05-2015, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 06:41 PM by Fodder_From_The_Truth.)
You're not here "to learn" or change your mind. You're here to act like a child with a new toy who won't let little brother play with it.

But little brother doesn't want to play with your toy. Little brother just wants you to play with your toy alone or with others who enjoy said toy and possibly shut the fuck up while you're at it.