What makes me maddest about theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: What makes me maddest about theists
(06-05-2015 03:43 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I for one do not respect you Q, so why should you be entitled to receive respect?

And that is what Christians and atheists should both understand, that you and no source above you dictates your morals regarding respect, life, death, restrained or unrestrained passions, etc.

In this case, if what you say is true, you don't believe in treating other people proactively the way you'd like to be treated in return, but rather you only exhibit certain traits after others display them first. If everyone did that, no one would ever show anyone respect--we'd all wait for others to show it to us beforehand!

"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?" - Matthew 5:46

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 12:55 PM
(07-05-2015 12:48 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 03:43 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I for one do not respect you Q, so why should you be entitled to receive respect?

And that is what Christians and atheists should both understand, that you and no source above you dictates your morals regarding respect, life, death, restrained or unrestrained passions, etc.

In this case, if what you say is true, you don't believe in treating other people proactively the way you'd like to be treated in return, but rather you only exhibit certain traits after others display them first. If everyone did that, no one would ever show anyone respect--we'd all wait for others to show it to us beforehand!

"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?" - Matthew 5:46

Respect *and* disrespect are *earned*. It costs nothing to be cordial, but respect is a different animal.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-05-2015, 04:00 PM
(07-05-2015 12:48 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Respect is not a given. I do not and will not have respect for people who lie to and confuse children, and promote the dishonest and intellectual crippling anti-science agenda. I do not and will not respect anyone who condemns or judges other humans, and bases moral guidance, using ancient writings by unknown authors in the middle east 2000 years ago. I do not respect anyone who defends, and worships, a mythical tyrant that used violence against the innocent, and issue an eternal life sentence of suffering for merely thinking for oneself.

Many christians do not respect me since I ask honest questions concerning what they claim as true based on faith. Not a problem and don't care.

So for you and those along side you in the spreading of fear and lies, and holding back real progress, knowledge, happiness and peace - NO RESPECT.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 6 users Like Timber1025's post
08-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Repeating--to adopt your standards means no one will give respect until "vetted". Not how I was raised. Not what God asks.

I'm not anti-science, I don't lie to children.

I'm sorry many Christians disrespect you. I treat you per the Golden Rule and honor you where I can.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
08-05-2015, 10:22 AM
(08-05-2015 09:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Repeating--to adopt your standards means no one will give respect until "vetted". Not how I was raised. Not what God asks.

I'm sorry many Christians disrespect you. I treat you per the Golden Rule and honor you where I can.

Do you have and show respect for child abusers? Spouses that are physically abusive? That cheat? Do you respect people that prey on others for financial gain? I thought you would support the "do unto other as they do to you" concept. That is how we avoid condoning destructive behavior and encourage actual change for the better. Throwing around respect (and even love) to one and all diminishes the value of those concepts.

You say you are not anti-science, but show you are indeed when a conflict with scripture is at stake. Also, by teaching scripture's explanations for existence and that godly miracles are possible, you have lied. If you tell a child that prayer has a function you have lied. If you have told any child that they are weak or sinful, and require salvation as a fix, you have lied. If you have taught the concept of "faith" as a virtue - you have lied.

How christians act to your face and what they think are not one in the same. You are indoctrinated to view those that do not buy into your beliefs as broken, lost, angry, misguided, needing saving, and flat out stubborn to the word of god. Sadly christians are taught that the disbelief in imaginary friends is a character flaw, and all the "negative" aspects of human behavior (and this world in general) are the fault of nonbelievers.

You are allowed to have all the faith and views you like, but you will gain no respect from me. Deal with it cuz you ain't that special, and you can't substantiate most of what you think is true in your specific version of your specific religious view of choice.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 5 users Like Timber1025's post
08-05-2015, 05:22 PM
What makes me saddest about theists
(04-05-2015 03:37 PM)natachan Wrote:  So I've been off for a few days, since finals are upon us (oh woe is us!) but with my linear algebra final passed and my next final on Friday I thought I would post some thoughts.

Last week was dead week, the week before finals when a lot of activities are cancelled in order to help studying. No tests are given. No new material covered. Review sessions are rampant. And into our campus four days in a row were the obnoxious preachers.

The first ones were the people pushing the bible as a "valuable and useful cultural touchstone that has led development through time." They took credit for freeing slaves, inventing science, and for guiding morals. They called secularism a scourge. I YELLED at these people. Loudly. I called them liars and told them that while they had the right to say and post this stuff they should be ashamed of coming onto a university campus and telling lies to people. I was accused of being "mad at god" and they were shocked that my church experience was all positive.

Next comes the creationists. The ones who don't want to know. I offer to show them the evidence and they refuse to see. I offer to defend and explain and they dismiss it. I don't think these particular people were lieing (although they were dishonest), I think they are ao invested and so indoctrinated that they CANT see out. They don't want to know. They are willfully ignorant. And while I hate to use the word, if there is one sin a person can commit it is willfull ignorance.

The last is the abusive hellfire preacher. The one who threatens. The one who is more ignorant than the rest, I managed to pull out that he was a geocentrist. This one angered me the most, and it took me a while to figure out why.

Ignorance can be fixed, I have no problem with that. Willfull ignorance is immoral, a crime committed against the self and it angers me and is tragic. Lieing to people is atrocious, but it doesn't anger me as much as the last guy did.

It's one thing to be willfully ignorant. Fine, I can't stop you. But to come onto a university campus, stand in front of a library in front of those who will have to make your world function, who have come to learn and to expand their minds, and tell them that knowledge itself is evil? That pisses me right the fuck off. You come onto the campus and tell people who make sure your water is safe to drink that they are evil, to tell those who build the roads and make sure your food is good to eat that they are wrong and doing no good for society. That makes me angry.

The arrogance, the self righteousness, the hubris all rolled into one. The condescending tone to those whose good graces he relies upon. The spitting on your benefactors. That is what angers me.

You should change the title of the thread to "What makes saddest about theists."

#sigh
08-05-2015, 10:27 PM
(08-05-2015 10:22 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 09:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Repeating--to adopt your standards means no one will give respect until "vetted". Not how I was raised. Not what God asks.

Do you have and show respect for child abusers? Spouses that are physically abusive? That cheat? Do you respect people that prey on others for financial gain? I thought you would support the "do unto other as they do to you" concept. That is how we avoid condoning destructive behavior and encourage actual change for the better. Throwing around respect (and even love) to one and all diminishes the value of those concepts.

You say you are not anti-science, but show you are indeed when a conflict with scripture is at stake. Also, by teaching scripture's explanations for existence and that godly miracles are possible, you have lied. If you tell a child that prayer has a function you have lied. If you have told any child that they are weak or sinful, and require salvation as a fix, you have lied. If you have taught the concept of "faith" as a virtue - you have lied.

How christians act to your face and what they think are not one in the same. You are indoctrinated to view those that do not buy into your beliefs as broken, lost, angry, misguided, needing saving, and flat out stubborn to the word of god. Sadly christians are taught that the disbelief in imaginary friends is a character flaw, and all the "negative" aspects of human behavior (and this world in general) are the fault of nonbelievers.

You are allowed to have all the faith and views you like, but you will gain no respect from me. Deal with it cuz you ain't that special, and you can't substantiate most of what you think is true in your specific version of your specific religious view of choice.

Brilliant! I love this...

"You say you are not anti-science, but show you are indeed when a conflict with scripture is at stake. Also, by teaching scripture's explanations for existence and that godly miracles are possible, you have lied. If you tell a child that prayer has a function you have lied. If you have told any child that they are weak or sinful, and require salvation as a fix, you have lied. If you have taught the concept of "faith" as a virtue - you have lied."

Thankyou.Bowing
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
08-05-2015, 10:39 PM

"I'm not anti-science,..."

Then you're not a true Christian.

"I don't lie to children."

"I'm sorry many Christians disrespect you."

"I treat you per the Golden Rule"

Be careful Q... your salvation is at stake!Gasp
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
09-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Q we can be cordial about most anything else, but on this subject the lines are drawn in the sand.

You don't have to say anything. You've chosen the side that has done the majority of the talking for most of our species history.

Your side, at its core is not cordial. It is a war of ideals and a soldier does not attempt to avoid hurting the feelings of the man whose life he's about to take. You've willfully gone behind enemy lines and act shocked when you take gunfire.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
09-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Plus:

Q Cunt is Qunt. Smug liar who (seemingly) has no useful purpose in society.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.