What makes me maddest about theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2015, 08:14 PM
RE: What makes me maddest about theists
(04-05-2015 11:12 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 10:12 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  For me it's the people that accept an act of cruel torture as a part of god's "good & loving" plan.

I saw a video of a christian kid who saw nothing inherently wrong with slavery as long as it was done with good christian values.

WTF ?

Then I thought, "well then, if someone should kidnap him and chain him in a basement for the next 20 years, raping him 2-3 times a day, he should be ok with it. After all, no rape in the 10 commandments."

I actually used to be fine with slavery until I found the Catholic Church's official teaching and even then it wasn't until I got the reasoning from Rerum Novarum that I really became actively anti-slavery.

You can't be serious. You actually are so fucking stupid and devoid of moral character that you needed the damn Pope to explain to you why it's wrong ?
Un-be-fucking-leivable.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-05-2015, 02:39 AM
(08-05-2015 09:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Repeating--to adopt your standards means no one will give respect until "vetted". Not how I was raised. Not what God asks.

I'm not anti-science, I don't lie to children.

I'm sorry many Christians disrespect you. I treat you per the Golden Rule and honor you where I can.

You are a religionist. You do lie to children. You said "not what god asks". There are no gods. Repeating that is a lie. The gods "ask" nothing. Human brains and cultures evolved to survive. Survival of the species requires a minimum of tolerance. The "golden rule" did not come from Christianity, or religions. You're creating a (dishonest) false standard by your dishonest use of language. Your "not how I was raised" is the usual patronizing religionist self-righteous attempt to claim moral superiority. It's a lie.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-05-2015, 05:46 AM
(06-05-2015 08:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Self-control is...? A fruit of God's Spirit.

What is a fruit of the spirit?
Is it something that those without the spirit cannot exhibit?
Is it something those with the spirit exhibit in greater degree?
How would you design an experiment to test this hypothesis? Would you (say) be able to select 100 people off the street, test them for their self control, then ask them to self-identify as atheist, Christian or other... would you see greater self control among Christians? How much greater?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
11-05-2015, 09:51 AM
(10-05-2015 05:46 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Self-control is...? A fruit of God's Spirit.

What is a fruit of the spirit?
Is it something that those without the spirit cannot exhibit?
Is it something those with the spirit exhibit in greater degree?
How would you design an experiment to test this hypothesis? Would you (say) be able to select 100 people off the street, test them for their self control, then ask them to self-identify as atheist, Christian or other... would you see greater self control among Christians? How much greater?

Moot per the scriptures. Everyone has the Spirit in some degree or they would be dead. I don't need to select 100 persons off the street, because I've worked/lived with/discipled etc. Christians and non-Christians. Christians have the fruit to a greater degree.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2015, 09:57 AM
(08-05-2015 10:22 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 09:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Repeating--to adopt your standards means no one will give respect until "vetted". Not how I was raised. Not what God asks.

I'm not anti-science, I don't lie to children.

I'm sorry many Christians disrespect you. I treat you per the Golden Rule and honor you where I can.

Do you have and show respect for child abusers? Spouses that are physically abusive? That cheat? Do you respect people that prey on others for financial gain? I thought you would support the "do unto other as they do to you" concept. That is how we avoid condoning destructive behavior and encourage actual change for the better. Throwing around respect (and even love) to one and all diminishes the value of those concepts.

You say you are not anti-science, but show you are indeed when a conflict with scripture is at stake. Also, by teaching scripture's explanations for existence and that godly miracles are possible, you have lied. If you tell a child that prayer has a function you have lied. If you have told any child that they are weak or sinful, and require salvation as a fix, you have lied. If you have taught the concept of "faith" as a virtue - you have lied.

How christians act to your face and what they think are not one in the same. You are indoctrinated to view those that do not buy into your beliefs as broken, lost, angry, misguided, needing saving, and flat out stubborn to the word of god. Sadly christians are taught that the disbelief in imaginary friends is a character flaw, and all the "negative" aspects of human behavior (and this world in general) are the fault of nonbelievers.

You are allowed to have all the faith and views you like, but you will gain no respect from me. Deal with it cuz you ain't that special, and you can't substantiate most of what you think is true in your specific version of your specific religious view of choice.

All persons deserve respect. In America, some of the rights all persons deserve are enumerated in our Constitution and other foundational documents. Once Americans were on board with showing everyone respect, a process which still continues, of course, more and more persons received the benefit of these rights.

I would say there would be something rather wrong with me if I didn't experience a conflict between the scriptures and science--blindly accepting that everything in the Bible must have happened the way I think it had at first look is as bad IMHO as blindly rejecting everything one reads in the Bible. I think it's normal for someone who understands even the basics about modern biology, cosmology and geology to find discomfort in reading some of the scriptures. That's normal.

I don't know if I'd call faith a virtue. For me, a good working synonym, even the best, for faith, is trust. I'm saved the same way I trusted a bus driver to bring me to a location last week--via relaxing aboard the bus and letting the driver bring me to the destination. The question we must ask ourselves, "Is trusting Jesus reasonable?"

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2015, 10:22 AM
(11-05-2015 09:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 10:22 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Do you have and show respect for child abusers? Spouses that are physically abusive? That cheat? Do you respect people that prey on others for financial gain? I thought you would support the "do unto other as they do to you" concept. That is how we avoid condoning destructive behavior and encourage actual change for the better. Throwing around respect (and even love) to one and all diminishes the value of those concepts.

You say you are not anti-science, but show you are indeed when a conflict with scripture is at stake. Also, by teaching scripture's explanations for existence and that godly miracles are possible, you have lied. If you tell a child that prayer has a function you have lied. If you have told any child that they are weak or sinful, and require salvation as a fix, you have lied. If you have taught the concept of "faith" as a virtue - you have lied.

How christians act to your face and what they think are not one in the same. You are indoctrinated to view those that do not buy into your beliefs as broken, lost, angry, misguided, needing saving, and flat out stubborn to the word of god. Sadly christians are taught that the disbelief in imaginary friends is a character flaw, and all the "negative" aspects of human behavior (and this world in general) are the fault of nonbelievers.

You are allowed to have all the faith and views you like, but you will gain no respect from me. Deal with it cuz you ain't that special, and you can't substantiate most of what you think is true in your specific version of your specific religious view of choice.

All persons deserve respect. In America, some of the rights all persons deserve are enumerated in our Constitution and other foundational documents. Once Americans were on board with showing everyone respect, a process which still continues, of course, more and more persons received the benefit of these rights.

I would say there would be something rather wrong with me if I didn't experience a conflict between the scriptures and science--blindly accepting that everything in the Bible must have happened the way I think it had at first look is as bad IMHO as blindly rejecting everything one reads in the Bible. I think it's normal for someone who understands even the basics about modern biology, cosmology and geology to find discomfort in reading some of the scriptures. That's normal.

I don't know if I'd call faith a virtue. For me, a good working synonym, even the best, for faith, is trust. I'm saved the same way I trusted a bus driver to bring me to a location last week--via relaxing aboard the bus and letting the driver bring me to the destination. The question we must ask ourselves, "Is trusting Jesus reasonable?"

Good thing is, we can actually prove the bus driver would be a real person in that case. The analogy really doesn't fit with yours.

You're putting your "trust" in something you cannot see, touch, hear, or smell. I'd say taste, but that'd be weird.

That's a wee bit different than trusting a bus driver to get you from X to Y.
[+] 1 user Likes Dusky's post
11-05-2015, 10:34 AM
(11-05-2015 09:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All persons deserve respect.

I disagree. Does a woman have to respect her rapist?
[+] 1 user Likes Dusky's post
11-05-2015, 10:43 AM
(08-05-2015 10:22 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Do you have and show respect for child abusers? Spouses that are physically abusive? That cheat? Do you respect people that prey on others for financial gain? I thought you would support the "do unto other as they do to you" concept. That is how we avoid condoning destructive behavior and encourage actual change for the better. Throwing around respect (and even love) to one and all diminishes the value of those concepts.

Murderers and rapists too?

As for Bible it's not more credible than say Edda, so it's not matter of rejecting it, but seeing this book for what it's really is. And it is nothing more than myths, even if mixed with real historical events.

As for faith your example is wrong. Expecting that bus driver do his job is not the same thing as believing in divinity of some dude who may not even existed (though I think that Jesus, as in one of many preachers/prophets/whatever existed).

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-05-2015, 10:54 AM

These are your values, you really need open up and expect that people don't share or agree to your values.

Those american rights are for governments actions, which is in no way is any social or legal stance on how person to person interactions should be.

Trusting Jesus to do what exactly? If you're trusting the bus driver to get you to point a to point b, what are you trusting Jesus to do? or for what?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-05-2015, 11:56 AM
(11-05-2015 09:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The question we must ask ourselves, "Is trusting Jesus reasonable?"

No because it would be delusional and a lie. Keep it up, you are doing fine under your spell, just as expected.Dodgy

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 4 users Like Timber1025's post