What member colors mean.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2012, 02:24 PM
RE: What member colors mean.
Great thread KC!

As a newer member, one of the things that bugged me was how to edit my posts. Now that I'm a full fledged blue member, I can finally see the Edit button on my posts. Just to clarify for myself and others, you do gain this ability after 30 days, correct? Does having a positive or negative rep somehow affect this?

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Rep means nothing. Doesn't affect what you can do at all.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
21-04-2012, 06:49 PM
(21-04-2012 02:24 PM)Zephony Wrote:  Great thread KC!

As a newer member, one of the things that bugged me was how to edit my posts. Now that I'm a full fledged blue member, I can finally see the Edit button on my posts. Just to clarify for myself and others, you do gain this ability after 30 days, correct? Does having a positive or negative rep somehow affect this?
As a new user you are an unknown so you have to demonstrate you can be trusted, just like in real life.

New users actually do have access to the edit button, It's just that the timeout period is shorter for newer members. The edit button disappears after 30 mins for new members. Mainly to prevent dishonest debating tactics you sometimes get with certain people. Also it's not 30 days for the group change.. It's 14 days.

TBH I'm surprised anyone noticed. Allot of the protections put in place were not designed to be crippling or limiting in any way. And I think most people would be able to see valid reasons this was put in place.

As far as I know everyone at the time agreed as it did prevent abuse. Everyone has a time-out period on post editing except mods. This is also to prevent vandalism if someone has a hissy fit.

I've finished refining my post usually within 30mins of posting and most of the time don't go back to edit it later. Especially when other people have replied to it.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
21-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Stark, thanks for that tidbit of info!

(21-04-2012 06:49 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  TBH I'm surprised anyone noticed. Allot of the protections put in place were not designed to be crippling or limiting in any way. And I think most people would be able to see valid reasons this was put in place.

As far as I know everyone at the time agreed as it did prevent abuse. Everyone has a time-out period on post editing except mods. This is also to prevent vandalism if someone has a hissy fit.

I've finished refining my post usually within 30mins of posting and most of the time don't go back to edit it later. Especially when other people have replied to it.

Please forgive me if I sounded as if I were against its validity. I'm certainty not. And no, I don't find them crippling. I just like to know the restrictions placed on me. I was curious and thought others may have the same thought.

While I can see the need for such a protection, that particular reason didn't occur to me at the time. I was merely thinking about some spelling and grammatical errors I made wishing I could go back and fix them. I have this bad habit of posting and then going and getting lost in YouTube, or running out of the house and coming back the next day realizing I made a stupid error that bugs me wishing I could fix it ie "crono" instead of "chrono."

Anyways, thank you both for the responses!

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
[+] 1 user Likes Zephony's post
21-04-2012, 07:30 PM
breeding room huh? shit! we're gonna have a race of semi-evolutionary-partial-creationist/atheist communist super humans!
25-04-2012, 03:30 PM
(21-04-2012 03:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Rep means nothing. Doesn't affect what you can do at all.
Reds shouldn't be able to start threads.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
25-04-2012, 03:35 PM
(21-04-2012 06:49 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(21-04-2012 02:24 PM)Zephony Wrote:  Great thread KC!

As a new user you are an unknown so you have to demonstrate you can be trusted, just like in real life.

New users actually do have access to the edit button, It's just that the timeout period is shorter for newer members. The edit button disappears after 30 mins for new members. Mainly to prevent dishonest debating tactics you sometimes get with certain people. Also it's not 30 days for the group change.. It's 14 days.

TBH I'm surprised anyone noticed. Allot of the protections put in place were not designed to be crippling or limiting in any way. And I think most people would be able to see valid reasons this was put in place.

I got the 30 day thing from Stark a long time ago. I'm also very observant Smile

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the 14 days. Fixed.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-04-2012, 01:23 AM
So what are the reqs to become a veteran? Time on site? # of Posts?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
28-04-2012, 02:45 AM
If you're light blue, you're a fucking noob or a troll. If you're dark blue, you're a regular. If you're anything else, you're a tool. Class dismissed. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-04-2012, 04:46 AM
am I blue or a tool? Let me see *posts just to check the color, sorry for the spam, guys*

edit: there we go, I am blue Cool

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post