Poll: What motivates you to life a good and fulfilling life?
This is the only life I have.
There is an afterlife and if I stuff up I burn forever, etc...
[Show Results]

What motivates you most?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2012, 07:13 PM
What motivates you most?
I'm curious... Out of the following two perspectives which would motivate you the most to live a good and fulfilling life?

You only have one shot at life. This is all you got, what you have right now and when you die the gig is up.

or

There is a god and an afterlife, you have to obey it's rules and if you do you get spend eternity in heaven or burn in hell forever.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2012, 07:39 PM
RE: What motivates you most?
Sorry, DT, I can't vote cos neither of those motivate me i.e. they are equally non-motivational.
As animals, males and females are both motivated by something that starts with SE....
Security and Sex
(but not respectively)

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Personally out of the two options provided I would choose this is my only life.
Though I have an issue with being told what todo and wouldn't likely find god or his rules very influencing in m decision on how to live my life, even we're I to believe in him.

Like you I can't fathom how having an afterlife is in the least but motivating. It's just another thing. I mean sure if they see it as a kind of disneyland that can sure be exciting in a lose some sleep kind of way but I can't see how it would motivate them to be the best they can be.

It's like that thing from office space where Peter tells those two guys with moustaches that fear will only make people work just hard enough to not get fired.

So is it fear or reward that becomes the motivation? Both maybe? I don't know. Honestly I have yet to personally meet anyone Christian or atheist or anything else, that was very good at making the best of life. That includes me.

Still I like to think that liking a movie because of all of its intricacies is somehow better than only liking it for the ten seconds of nipple that happens to become exposed somewhere near the middle.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2012, 07:51 PM
whatever there is after death will be the ultimate question for me, curiosity is killing me and when it becomes to much to bear I'll have to know the answer and I'll die. So I can say curiosity motivates me Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
05-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Both would motivate me, number one I would be a happier person though. Like the carrot or the stick story, I prefer the carrot Big Grin
05-05-2012, 08:14 PM
XXX
[+] 1 user Likes jackashflash's post
05-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Funny cos I was listening to a song on the radio and it just got me thinking about this. Yes, for me the idea of some god punishing or rewarding me after I die does nothing for me.

The thought that I better make the most of what I have now cos this is all there is. That kindof lights a fire under my ass and gets me moving like nothing else would.

Just when I hear theists telling me that you need god otherwise you have no purpose. I don't understand that at all and I was once a Christian.

Yeah I'm aware of lots of things that can motivate people - I was mostly thinking about those mindsets - Those two perspectives to view the world through.

As jack says, sex is a motivator but it's not what I meant. Cows curiosity might get him butchered one day! Tongue Hmmm, I wonder what it's like to be eaten?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
06-05-2012, 12:40 AM

Apparently there is no difference in motivation. Atheists seem to be highly motivated to do what they want to do in life and so do theists. Personally, I think that's just how God wants it to be.

I sometimes wonder if God even wants us spending a lot of time worrying about Him. Sometimes I think he just wants us to get on with the business of living and using the talents He gave us in the process. There is probably a spiritual reason for that.

Praying to God seems to help me; communicating with God seems to help me. I don't know if it does a lot for Him.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Egor's post
06-05-2012, 01:45 AM
For me, it's gotta be that this is the only life; live it to it's fullest, right here, right now.

I have a lot of problems even contemplating the second choice as it's as ludicrous as believing in Santa (and there's probably as much evidence for it).

Live every day as if it's your last (yeh, very funny, I'd like to think that's my philosophy but in reality, it's not Dodgy ).

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
06-05-2012, 02:02 AM
from these two options I could only chose that this is my only life
but
for real, my motivation is that I want to feel good, happy. So I do things that make me feel good and happy. I work, I eat, I love, I work towards my dreams,...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post