Poll: What motivates you to life a good and fulfilling life?
This is the only life I have.
There is an afterlife and if I stuff up I burn forever, etc...
[Show Results]

What motivates you most?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 02:44 AM
RE: What motivates you most?
Guess. Big Grin

Those options suck. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-05-2012, 08:02 AM
(06-05-2012 12:40 AM)Egor Wrote:  Apparently there is no difference in motivation. Atheists seem to be highly motivated to do what they want to do in life and so do theists. Personally, I think that's just how God wants it to be.

I sometimes wonder if God even wants us spending a lot of time worrying about Him. Sometimes I think he just wants us to get on with the business of living and using the talents He gave us in the process. There is probably a spiritual reason for that.

Praying to God seems to help me; communicating with God seems to help me. I don't know if it does a lot for Him.
I agree. Both thoughts can be highly motivational. However, I think it's reasonable to conclude that the "heaven" premise makes life logically worthless. So you've accepted Jesus Christ as your savior, right? You've won your way to heaven, and nothing else you do in your life matters --- it's all immaterial and going to decay and it's not where your priorities or values lie. You could gather up "treasures in heaven", but these treasures don't buy fuck-all and even if they gave you prestige (such as the crowns that are also proposed as heavenly gifts), that prestige doesn't have the value that it has on Earth because there's no status or special treatment. It doesn't matter how much your faith grows because you won't have need of it once everything's revealed and you know everything. It doesn't matter how much your knowledge of the bible grows for the same reason. And it doesn't matter how close your walk with God is because there's no sin in Heaven and everybody gets as close to God as they possibly could.

If you buy into the heaven hypothesis, Earth is just a door mat --- a place to wipe your feet before entering the place that matters. How motivated are you to make the most of your time on the door mat? Well, if you spend years and years on the door mat, I'm sure you'd have to find a way to make it seem like your time here isn't wasted or pointless.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
06-05-2012, 08:24 AM
If I had to choose from the two it would be the first but that misses the complexity and nuance of living in a civilized society.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
(05-05-2012 07:13 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm curious... Out of the following two perspectives which would motivate you the most to live a good and fulfilling life?

You only have one shot at life. This is all you got, what you have right now and when you die the gig is up.

or

There is a god and an afterlife, you have to obey it's rules and if you do you get spend eternity in heaven or burn in hell forever.

Effectively, the first one.

Because doing the first is how to do the second.
06-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Motivated by a passion for healing/caring, for creating, for accomplishing, for leading through service.
How we got here and who if anything designed it not really in my thoughts when I'm working or playing.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
06-05-2012, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 02:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
I get an adrenalin rush when I finish writing a computer program to do a specific task. I get off on it. Makes me feel like the god that I am. That motivates me. Blush

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Isn't this a biased question especially in a forum about atheism?
My answer would have to be number one but its too general and doesn't describe my motivation.
Some other, more specific, sources are:
- the love and acknowledgement of loved ones
- to fit in and reduce conflict
- for the collective good
- to appeal to your mental image or pride (lack of a better word)
[+] 1 user Likes dxnguyen89's post
06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
(05-05-2012 07:13 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm curious... Out of the following two perspectives which would motivate you the most to live a good and fulfilling life?

You only have one shot at life. This is all you got, what you have right now and when you die the gig is up.
Which shows why we need a plan to do something about this:

http://chronopause.com/
06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
(06-05-2012 06:50 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  Which shows why we need a plan to do something about this:

http://chronopause.com/

“We are so ignorant that we do not even know what we need to know, or what we don‟t know that we don‟t know – and that is a very dangerous situation indeed.”

That guy called me a pod person. Tongue

What we need to do about this is discourage these unnecessary fantasies.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
06-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Ah, but unnecessary phantasies lead you to places you would never go otherwise, and once in a while you find a useful speck.

They can lead you to knowing something you didn't know you didn't know.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post