Poll: What motivates you to life a good and fulfilling life?
This is the only life I have.
There is an afterlife and if I stuff up I burn forever, etc...
[Show Results]

What motivates you most?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2012, 12:53 PM
RE: What motivates you most?
Thinking that this is the only life I will have doesn't motivate me... it kind of de-motivates me. I just think "oh well, doesn't really matter. This is the only life I get. I won't care afterwards."

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
That makes me sad. You made me sad.

Now brighten my day and tell me what is your motivation? Candy? Potato races? Model cars?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2012, 03:20 PM

(08-05-2012 12:53 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Thinking that this is the only life I will have doesn't motivate me... it kind of de-motivates me. I just think "oh well, doesn't really matter. This is the only life I get. I won't care afterwards."

(08-05-2012 01:15 PM)lucradis Wrote:  That makes me sad. You made me sad.

Now brighten my day and tell me what is your motivation? Candy? Potato races? Model cars?

OMG. I can't believe that's your response. Frankie tells you what he thinks, you toss it aside and ask him if Candy, potato races or model cars motivates him in life. Is that how atheists get through their life? Is that the utter meaninglessness of your faith-system?

"My life has no meaning."
"Oh sure it does! You can shovel dirt, arrange flowers in a vase, you could even weave a basket some day. Stop being so negative."
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2012, 03:59 PM
(08-05-2012 03:20 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 01:15 PM)lucradis Wrote:  That makes me sad. You made me sad.

OMG. I can't believe that's your response.

What part of Resident Evil don't you understand? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-05-2012, 03:39 PM
(05-05-2012 07:13 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm curious... Out of the following two perspectives which would motivate you the most to live a good and fulfilling life?

You only have one shot at life. This is all you got, what you have right now and when you die the gig is up.

or

There is a god and an afterlife, you have to obey it's rules and if you do you get spend eternity in heaven or burn in hell forever.
The second view is closer to what I believe but the last part is wrong. If the only way we could get into heaven would be to live a good enough life none of us would make it. God is absolutely holy and won't allow any sin in his presence and all of us have sinned. The only reason anyone can make it is that Jesus died to pay for our sins and we can be forgiven if we repent of our sins and put our faith in him. I have done this so I am certain of reaching heaven. I want to live a good life because gratitude toward God makes me want to please him and because I want others to experience this forgiveness that I have received.

If I didn't believe there was an afterlife I would try to live a fulfilling life but my idea of what such a life is like would be different. My focus would be on experiencing as much pleasure as I can.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
13-05-2012, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 03:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-05-2012 03:39 PM)theophilus Wrote:  If I didn't believe there was an afterlife I would try to live a fulfilling life but my idea of what such a life is like would be different. My focus would be on experiencing as much pleasure as I can.

Hey, how've you been Theophile. Thumbsup Precisely because I don't believe in an afterlife is why I find life fulfilling. And pleasure is the least of it. Everything is fleeting, and pleasure is the most fleeting of all.

(08-05-2012 12:53 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Thinking that this is the only life I will have doesn't motivate me... it kind of de-motivates me. I just think "oh well, doesn't really matter. This is the only life I get. I won't care afterwards."

And that's precisely what you need to deal with, young dude. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Did I mention... yeah, of course I did. Big Grin

Good jam, Girly. Wink

17-05-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm happy in this frame of mind. It means that I just sit around drawing, watching anime and eating garbage.

Watching anime and reading manga motivates me to draw. I recently just finished the story board for the first chapter of my manga. It is taking quite some time to get all of this done because very little motivates me.

Translation: I'm a lazy twat.

[Image: opforum1.png]
17-05-2012, 08:58 AM
To be honest I really don't know what actually motivates me.
I just exist; doing only what I have to do and little more.

I was never motivated to do anything really because nothing attracts or appeals to me.

Yeah, I know, I'm exceedingly boring.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
17-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Know what I think about every time I see this thread? Big Grin Clap Clap Clap