What movie will you recommend to Erxomai?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2012, 12:14 PM
RE: What movie will you recommend to Erxomai?
You saw Iron Sky, right? I just thought that was such a wonderful, feel good flick. How could anyone not love Nazis on the Moon? Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-11-2012, 12:20 PM
(16-11-2012 12:14 PM)kim Wrote:  You saw Iron Sky, right? I just thought that was such a wonderful, feel good flick. How could anyone not love Nazis on the Moon? Shy
Yes! I finally watched the whole thing last night.

I had started watching it on YouTube, as it was released for free online before it went to DVD. I decided early on that I needed to watch it with a quality picture, so I waited for the DVD.

I'm glad I did. What a great movie! Nazis on the Moon? What the fuck more could you want???

It's a Finnish film, but it's in English and not dubbed. I would rate it as a B-movie, but I love B-movies. Actually, it's a pretty well made B-movie, so I might even call it a B+ movie. Sure, it's a hokey premise. Sure the acting is not stellar. But the story is fun and the special effects were surprisingly well done for a relatively low-budget film.

I decided to rate it based on how much I enjoyed the ride more than how good the movie actually was. So I gave it 4 out of 5 Netflix stars!

http://www.ironsky.net/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
16-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I know!! I wish I would have seen it in a theater - it really did have some surprisingly great effects!

Also, I thought it was great that it actually made a serious statement that people can become deluded and led quite easily.

Didn't you just love the heroine? She's so personable and yea, quite the hottie. I think she's going to be very sought after now that this has had a wider release. I'm going to watch for more Finnish and Scandinavian films... I kind of like their unabashed directness. I certainly liked Rare Exports and I adored the original Swedish, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo films. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-11-2012, 01:24 PM
(16-11-2012 12:53 PM)kim Wrote:  I know!! I wish I would have seen it in a theater - it really did have some surprisingly great effects!

Also, I thought it was great that it actually made a serious statement that people can become deluded and led quite easily.

Didn't you just love the heroine? She's so personable and yea, quite the hottie. I think she's going to be very sought after now that this has had a wider release. I'm going to watch for more Finnish and Scandinavian films... I kind of like their unabashed directness. I certainly liked Rare Exports and I adored the original Swedish, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo films. Shy
Don't forget to add Troll Hunter to your list!

Yeah, I don't usually go in for preachy movies (ironic, huh), but the closing shot made me drop my jaw in surprise and I audibly said, "Whoa."
I was caught off guard that there should be a message and it was in the moment that I got it that I really got it. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
17-11-2012, 11:24 PM
What movie will you recommend to Erxomai?
(27-07-2012 01:42 AM)Filox Wrote:  Is there any possibility that you haven't seen Equilibrium?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

Grammatron clerics, gun kata and all that superb stuff?

I strongly suggest this movie to anyone who haven't seen it, yet.

I finally took your recommendation. It turns out I actually saw most of this movie about 8 years ago but I was at a party with peeps who didn't really enjoy it. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it this time. You've got Batman and Boromir, and that dude go helped Stella get her groove back. It's a great story. Reminds me a lot of Fahrenheit 451, only better because you have Kung fu handguns. The final battle is worth the price of an otherwise kinda slow, but thoughtful dystopian flick. And Christian Bale is pretty badass with a couple of guns in his hands.

18-11-2012, 08:39 AM
(17-11-2012 11:24 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-07-2012 01:42 AM)Filox Wrote:  Is there any possibility that you haven't seen Equilibrium?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

Grammatron clerics, gun kata and all that superb stuff?

I strongly suggest this movie to anyone who haven't seen it, yet.

I finally took your recommendation. It turns out I actually saw most of this movie about 8 years ago but I was at a party with peeps who didn't really enjoy it. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it this time. You've got Batman and Boromir, and that dude go helped Stella get her groove back. It's a great story. Reminds me a lot of Fahrenheit 451, only better because you have Kung fu handguns. The final battle is worth the price of an otherwise kinda slow, but thoughtful dystopian flick. And Christian Bale is pretty badass with a couple of guns in his hands.
Wow, absolutely nothing in there makes me even remotely interested in seeing that movie. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2012, 08:46 AM
(18-11-2012 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-11-2012 11:24 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I finally took your recommendation. It turns out I actually saw most of this movie about 8 years ago but I was at a party with peeps who didn't really enjoy it. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it this time. You've got Batman and Boromir, and that dude go helped Stella get her groove back. It's a great story. Reminds me a lot of Fahrenheit 451, only better because you have Kung fu handguns. The final battle is worth the price of an otherwise kinda slow, but thoughtful dystopian flick. And Christian Bale is pretty badass with a couple of guns in his hands.
Wow, absolutely nothing in there makes me even remotely interested in seeing that movie. Drinking Beverage
Chas, Equilibrium is a dystopian movie (made before or around the time (mindless) dystopias became so hip... and so bad). It does borrow stuff from Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World and 1984, but I thought it did a good job of it. Plus, it did have a happy ending (as much as you can have in a dystopia), which is rare for this genre, so I did like it.

Mind you, I saw it ages ago. And like I said, back then dystopia didn't mean post-apocalyptic zombie crap. Or Hunger Games. Yet another once good genre has been turned into mindless bilge for the mindless entertainment of the mindless masses.

And yeah, I know just how arrogant that sounded.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
18-11-2012, 08:49 AM
(18-11-2012 08:46 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  Wow, absolutely nothing in there makes me even remotely interested in seeing that movie. Drinking Beverage
Chas, Equilibrium is a dystopian movie (made before or around the time (mindless) dystopias became so hip... and so bad). It does borrow stuff from Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World and 1984, but I thought it did a good job of it. Plus, it did have a happy ending (as much as you can have in a dystopia), which is rare for this genre, so I did like it.

Mind you, I saw it ages ago. And like I said, back then dystopia didn't mean post-apocalyptic zombie crap. Or Hunger Games. Yet another once good genre has been turned into mindless bilge for the mindless entertainment of the mindless masses.

So, "it's got Batman and Boromir" is not to be taken literally?

18-11-2012, 08:55 AM
(18-11-2012 08:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 08:46 AM)Vera Wrote:  Chas, Equilibrium is a dystopian movie (made before or around the time (mindless) dystopias became so hip... and so bad). It does borrow stuff from Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World and 1984, but I thought it did a good job of it. Plus, it did have a happy ending (as much as you can have in a dystopia), which is rare for this genre, so I did like it.

So, "it's got Batman and Boromir" is not to be taken literally?
It has the actors who played them (though Sean Bean's part is really really short... which is sad, 'cause he's quite sexy there (and most everywhere) Sadcryface ).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
18-11-2012, 08:59 AM
(18-11-2012 08:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 08:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  So, "it's got Batman and Boromir" is not to be taken literally?
It has the actors who played them (though Sean Bean's part is really really short... which is sad, 'cause he's quite sexy there (and most everywhere) Sadcryface ).

Very funny. So you are saying that the characters of Batman and Boromir appear?