What movie will you recommend to Erxomai?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 07:59 AM
RE: What movie will you recommend to Erxomai?
Erx,
You might like "Boom", the old Liz Taylor film version of "The Milktrain doesn't Stop Here Anymore", (Arthur Miller ?? ..or somebody like that)..set up on the top of the Island of Corfu...spectacular views, w Liz and Dick...just saw it the other day. Should be on Netflix.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Erx,
I was just messing with you...I am not much into chick flicks myself.

Not much of a movie watcher and have odd taste in films anyway, according to my husband.

Stevie Ray Vaughan has some awesome concert DVDs...love them. I haven't seen anyone go that way in music threads but he was amazing, love his stuff. Watching a concert you really see him totally into his guitar.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Watch "The others"

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
15-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Ok I keep blanking out. Same reason I suck balls at tests. Not literally... least not anymore.

I'll leave out real classics minus a couple due to necessity.

You like 13th Warrior me too. You should watch, Outlander. It's pretty much the same movie but with some sci-fi thrown in for good measure.
Or Total Recall, Because who doesn't like some loosely translated Phillip K Dick? (The new one was supposed to be closer to the novel but it looks pretty much the same.)
Or for more Dick, Minority Report is fun to watch. Not a great movie but it's not too shabby. Cruise haters be damned.

There isn't much quality when it comes to fantasy... It's a barren landscape. People like LOTR but I like the books. You could try some 80's classics that suck, or just abandon the genre. I like the ones you chose. That is all. I miss Highlander.
Maybe give some post apocalypse movies some time. It's like fantasy in reverse.
You can try Stakeland, it's surprisingly not cringeworthy. Or if depression is your bag, The Road. It's one of those movies where if you junk food it up while watching you end up feeling a bit guilty.
I haven't seen the new Conan, but it doesn't rate all that badly so that's worth a go too.

Comedies are also one of those subjective things, but you seem a good humored individual. In modern times you could give Your Highness, or Step Brothers, or anything with Will Ferrel will usually get a good baked chuckle or two. Anchorman, Talladaga Nights, Etc. Superbad is pretty funny too. Mostly because of the duo of Micheal Cera and the chubby guy. I wish the guys behind that movie hadn't gotten rich. knocked up isn't very good in my opinion and neither is 40 year old virgin.

If you get the chance to watch Inception take it, preferably when baked. It's a visual mind fuck. Also Shutter Island is superb. more DiCaprio movies such as The Beach, or Blood Diamond are surely enjoyable affairs. A Deniro film worth watching if you liked Ronin (good for you by the way that movie is awesome) would be Heat. Oh and fantasy with him would be Stardust, written by the amazing Neil Gaiman.
Cape Fear too.

I could do this all day man.
So far as concerts worth watching I'm useless. I have only really enjoyed one concert enough to buy a DVD of them and it was AC/DC. The big one with every single recorded performance. Those guys put on a pretty good show. So do Iron Maiden i guess with all the fireworks and giant robots... I'm waiting for a Black Keys Live set. I've watched them all online and would love to own it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Akira... that is all...

[Image: opforum1.png]
15-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Akira is for fanboys. Otherwise the story doesn't make any sense.
I watched that movie when I was 13 and understood it enough to know there had to be more.
Then I borrowed my super geek friends massive trades... Wow. Lots of reading.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
15-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I would highly recommend Harry Brown.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289406/
It's a crime thriller staring Michael Caine and Emily Mortimer.

If you're in the mood for a comedy, try I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220628/
It's a about two friends throwing their buddy a bachelor's party.

I don't use Netflix so I'm sorry if these aren't available.

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
15-04-2012, 05:29 PM
HEY HEY!!! I don't like chick flicks, Erx. Focus, man, Focus!! Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
15-04-2012, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 09:48 PM by Erxomai.)
(15-04-2012 05:29 PM)aurora Wrote:  HEY HEY!!! I don't like chick flicks, Erx. Focus, man, Focus!! Dodgy
I know...bad choice of words. I should have said little kid movies! Tongue

San Onofre: I ended up watching Tinker Tailor tonight. I liked it, but I'm a fan of slow moving and very cryptic Cold War movies. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone that doesn't know that they already like John Le Carre stories. It made me think of The Good Shepherd with Matt Damon. Even moves at about the same pace. I was also reminded of a TNT Mini-series called The Company...about the early years of the CIA, and is a good companion to The Good Shepherd.

Anj: You have good musical taste. I saw a Stevie Ray concert video around 10 years ago. I went to a friend's house and we were supposed to do something, but the concert was on his TV and both of us being guitar players, we were so mesmerized we just watched him play and skipped whatever activity we had planned.

Bucky: Netflix doesn't have Boom. At first I was like, WTF is this kid recommending? The after reading a quick synopsis it sounds like it could be a little bit like Dark Shadows which I dig on big time.

Observer: I put The Others in my queue, but if I get scared I'm going to hunt you down.

Lucradis: We have a similar taste in movies, bro. The only movies on your list that I haven't seen are Stakeland, Your Highness, and Stardust. Oh, and Conan, but I might wait longer on that one. Where we differ, I don't mind overly hyped ones like LOTR. I loved the books and loved the movies. I have no problem with Peter Jackson. I like his stuff. I got excited about your recommendation for Outlander until I realized I saw it a couple of months ago. I also was reminded of 13th Warrior.
I do love me some Dick. Well, Phillip Dick, that is. Blush
I almost killed myself after watching The Road. I gravitate towards post-apocalyptic stories, but that was some pretty depressing shit. It also reminded me a lot of The Book of Eli, which wasn't awesome, but if you liked The Road, it's pretty much the same story only with more guns and more cannibals.
I wonder why I've never heard of Stardust. It looks fun. I have your 3 on reserve at the library.

Frankie: Good call, but I saw Akira about 20 years ago. I liked it. I probably would like it more if I watched it while baked. Big Grin

Zephony: I actually started Harry Brown once and don't remember why I didn't get past the first 4 minutes (according to my sources at Netflix). So it's back in my queue at your recommendation. I've seen I hope they Serve Beer in Hell. As we've all said at some point in our lives: The book was better. Although Tucker Max makes me depressed because he's so opposite of me.

Thank you one and all for the suggestions and helping me get through yet another weekend! (And probably several more to come. Smile)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Did you see them Wizards yet, preacher-man? Fucking netflix, been watching stoopidnatural there for the past week.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]