What movie will you recommend to Erxomai?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2012, 05:01 PM
RE: What movie will you recommend to Erxomai?
I keep drawing blanks every time I try and think of stuff...

But then nuggets get through and you win.

A Perfect Getaway . Seriously good.

The Night Train
. Low budget goodness.

Sanjuro, Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Stray Dog, Rashomon, Ikiru, Throne Of Blood, The Hidden Fortress, High And Low, Ran, Anything by Akira Kurosawa...

Do you like Horror? And if so, what kind? It is my specialty.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2012, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2012 09:28 PM by Erxomai.)
Ok, now you've given me a list of unknowns.

I'm not typically a fan of horror, but if it's clever and not just a gore-fest I can be ok with it.
Actually, since becoming an atheist it's a lot easier for me to enjoy supernatural horror movies.
Hobo

(16-04-2012 12:41 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Have you watched the cult classics The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Accross the 8th Dimension(1984) and Death Race 2000(1975)? Banzai is about a man who discovers a way to travel through dimensions and is tracked down by beings from that dimension, it's hilarious. Death Race is about a popular racer who has been in races where you score points by running over people it's another entertaining movie and it's where the whole 10 points for a pedestrian thing came from.

Ever watch Krull(1983)? A pretty interesting fantasy movie the likes of Conan

Of course if you want something funny you better have watched Porky's(1982) The first two movies are good, the third is not so good. It's one of the best crazy teenager movie sets out there. Plenty of movies were made to mimic it.

While we're talking comedies let's throw in Young Einstein(1989) a slapstick about einstein's youth except this time he comes from Tasmania.

I decided to start adding the years just to make sure you dont mix the films up.
These are the movies of my coming of age. I actually just re-watched Death Race the other night and was considering watching Krull...came out the year I graduated High School. Shocking

(19-04-2012 04:32 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Not exactly an atheist, so choices may seem rather lame.

Probably Not exactly your neck of the woods but:

Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance (2012 Nicholas Cage....Idris Elba)
Unstoppable (2011 Denzel Washington...Chris Pine)
V- For Vendetta (2006 Natalie Portman....Hugo Weaving)
Man Of The Year (2006 Robin Williams)
Conspiracy Theory (1997 film, Mel Gibson...Julia Roberts)

Have not seen it yet but want to see:

Underworld:Awakening (2012 Kate Beckinsale)
Red Riding Hood

Do not watch a lot of films, and am not an atheist so my suggestions are going to likely be the equivalent of... What the....?
Lol...Sinner, you don't have to be an Atheist to have good taste in movies. Now, if you were a Fundie, you would have terrible taste, I suppose. Dodgy

I like the Underworld movies and any comic book movie is fun...Love the V-for Vendetta story.
I'll have to check out Unstoppable, it looks action packed.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
19-04-2012, 09:54 PM
(19-04-2012 09:22 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, now you've given me a list of unknowns.

I'm not typically a fan of horror, but if it's clever and not just a gore-fest I can be ok with it.
Actually, since becoming an atheist it's a lot easier for me to enjoy supernatural horror movies.
Hobo

(16-04-2012 12:41 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Have you watched the cult classics The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Accross the 8th Dimension(1984) and Death Race 2000(1975)? Banzai is about a man who discovers a way to travel through dimensions and is tracked down by beings from that dimension, it's hilarious. Death Race is about a popular racer who has been in races where you score points by running over people it's another entertaining movie and it's where the whole 10 points for a pedestrian thing came from.

Ever watch Krull(1983)? A pretty interesting fantasy movie the likes of Conan

Of course if you want something funny you better have watched Porky's(1982) The first two movies are good, the third is not so good. It's one of the best crazy teenager movie sets out there. Plenty of movies were made to mimic it.

While we're talking comedies let's throw in Young Einstein(1989) a slapstick about einstein's youth except this time he comes from Tasmania.

I decided to start adding the years just to make sure you dont mix the films up.
These are the movies of my coming of age. I actually just re-watched Death Race the other night and was considering watching Krull...came out the year I graduated High School. Shocking

(19-04-2012 04:32 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Not exactly an atheist, so choices may seem rather lame.

Probably Not exactly your neck of the woods but:

Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance (2012 Nicholas Cage....Idris Elba)
Unstoppable (2011 Denzel Washington...Chris Pine)
V- For Vendetta (2006 Natalie Portman....Hugo Weaving)
Man Of The Year (2006 Robin Williams)
Conspiracy Theory (1997 film, Mel Gibson...Julia Roberts)

Have not seen it yet but want to see:

Underworld:Awakening (2012 Kate Beckinsale)
Red Riding Hood

Do not watch a lot of films, and am not an atheist so my suggestions are going to likely be the equivalent of... What the....?
Lol...Sinner, you don't have to be an Atheist to have good taste in movies. Now, if you were a Fundie, you would have terrible taste, I suppose. Dodgy

I like the Underworld movies and any comic book movie is fun...Love the V-for Vendetta story.
I'll have to check out Unstoppable, it looks action packed.

Unstoppable was pretty action packed!
A couple others that I might recommend are:
Enemy of the State
Gamer <------ My hubby likes this one.
If you have not seen Iron Man I or II....my hubby recommends those though for some reason Tony Stark puts me to sleep....literally!
The new Star Trek: First Generation <---- This one was better than I antiscipated it would be.
That about sums up any ideas I have. Sorry again, know they are not the best...but then I am not a big Sci Fi fan...Thrillers too sometimes are a little hard for me. Though I have always liked "What Lies Beneath" and "Stir of Echoes."

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
19-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I know a lot of people hate them, but I love the Blade trilogy. Love, love, love the music in them also.

Now and then I hold my own personal Blade marathon. I do the same with the Underworld series.

I like the movies based on graphic novels...don't know why, I just do.

And I know that people dis LOTR, but I really enjoy them...a marathon of watching the extended versions takes a weekend though.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-04-2012, 10:04 PM
(19-04-2012 09:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I know a lot of people hate them, but I love the Blade trilogy. Love, love, love the music in them also.

Now and then I hold my own personal Blade marathon. I do the same with the Underworld series.

I like the movies based on graphic novels...don't know why, I just do.

And I know that people dis LOTR, but I really enjoy them...a marathon of watching the extended versions takes a weekend though.
I am an odd ball here, but I love LOTR. Favorite character is Aragorn....with Sam Wise Gamgee following at a close second.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
19-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Erx as for good feel movies I thoroughly recommend The Artist. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
19-04-2012, 11:19 PM
(19-04-2012 09:22 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Lol...Sinner, you don't have to be an Atheist to have good taste in movies. Now, if you were a Fundie, you would have terrible taste, I suppose. Dodgy

It's exactly as Erxomai says. Anyone with any belief should be able to enjoy any good movie. Suspension of disbelief is crucial to any kind of story telling, We all should go in with an open mind and enjoy the story for what it is, not for if we agree with the characters religious or any other beliefs.

(19-04-2012 09:54 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Gamer <------ My hubby likes this one.

I too enjoyed this one. I mean, who wouldn't want to control a catholic priest in a real life version of Second Life?!

Anyways... let me think of some other good movies for you to watch...

Waiting
The Lincoln Lawyer
Morning Glory
Be Cool

And I'm sure you've already seen this, but it's always worth watching again:

Space Balls

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
20-04-2012, 12:29 AM
The new Star Trek(2009) was amazing. Continuity be damned =p It's seriously worth looking at if you haven't caught it yet. Any sci-fi fan should watch this one.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
20-04-2012, 02:32 AM
I just watched Troll Hunter. Freakin' awesome. I highly recommend it.

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-04-2012, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 10:02 AM by Erxomai.)
(20-04-2012 02:32 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I just watched Troll Hunter. Freakin' awesome. I highly recommend it.
Haha...I loved the Troll Hunter. I saw it a few months ago.
I think it's true footage, how about you?

(19-04-2012 11:19 PM)Zephony Wrote:  Waiting
The Lincoln Lawyer
Morning Glory
Be Cool

And I'm sure you've already seen this, but it's always worth watching again:

Space Balls
[Image: spaceballs.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post