What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 09:02 PM
What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
I'm writing a paper for my college English class about religion, and how it's affected people negatively and myself. I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now. I'm just curious as to what everyone has experienced? What was your breaking point? I want to use these as inspiration and also for short stories for this essay. Thanks guys!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
02-02-2016, 09:25 PM
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
I haven't had any really bad experiences but maybe you could use Seth's story?

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
02-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Back when I was a Christian, my father was a missionary in a jail chaplain ministry. We went to a Baptist church that was one of the chief sources of funding for my father's salary. My parents had to pay to become members of this church in order for the church to support the ministry. The church members (who were predominantly upper middle class and quite comfortable, financially) made sure that my dad's salary was well below the poverty line. They "made up" for it by giving our family tax-deductible clothes (that would have otherwise been thrown in the trash) and cans of food near or past their expiration dates, etc. , while their designer-clad sons and daughters mocked me and my siblings for being badly dressed losers.

When my mother left my father for another man, the church promptly fired him for being a bad Christian--can't keep that wife under control, God must not like you and so we don't, either. The church members ostracized both my father and us kids. My father made us kids keep going to church, and we just had to take it. I had to loan my father money from my gigs to pay the electric bill.

This was my experience with Christian charity. I didn't much care for it.
[+] 15 users Like julep's post
02-02-2016, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 09:50 PM by Adrianime.)
"Atheists don't have morals" --some guy on a video game forum (argument lasted a few days)
"Everything that happens is god's will, it's all fate" --girl I was trying to get to know, to elaborate this turned into an argument where she admitted that a girl getting raped and mutilated is "fate".
and
"No matter what you say, fact of the matter is if you don't accept Jesus as your lord and savior you are going to hell, and that's that." --girl I was trying to date (note, this was prompted by me very casually commenting on how I was uncomfortable at my sister's easter church service.)

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
02-02-2016, 09:52 PM
I used to live my life for Jesus and God because this is what I was taught to do by my church and church community. What did God/Jesus want me to do? How did God/Jesus want me to live? How can I make God/Jesus happy? How can I do better about putting God and Jesus' wants/desires above mine? I made every single decision by checking in with God first. I lived the WWJD mentality. In the process, I lost myself. It's really nice to be free of all of that and find myself again, who I am as a person and not the generic one I was creating for God and Jesus. It's nice to finally just be me--and live the life I want.
[+] 10 users Like jennybee's post
02-02-2016, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 10:03 PM by Aliza.)
Constant and unrelenting missionizing. Apparently one of the apostles said to go to the Jews first, so the evangels think there's some special cookie up in heaven waiting for them if they "save" a Jew.

I see the look in their eyes when they learn that I'm Jewish. It's like they can taste that cookie and they're hungry for it!

Angry

Edit: Wait a minute... The title of your thread calls for negative experiences with Christians, but the body reads theists. I do not have negative experiences with other types of theists.
[+] 11 users Like Aliza's post
03-02-2016, 12:38 AM
My negative experiences would be about xtians preaching and being incapable of seeing their privileged status in Poland. Believers are more like negative experience for entire country with them trying to force primitive, religious taboos to become laws in which they in part succeeded, like is the case with abortion or gay marriage.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
03-02-2016, 12:53 AM
In middle school my history teacher for some reason mentioned intelligent design, and claimed intelligent design was a "new scientific theory". I can only guess that he was trying to indoctrinate us. Another time I was talking to a neighborhood friend about evolution, and his mother found out and got mad at me, and I wasn't able to talk about evolution to him anymore. She gave us some Creationist stuff.

In high school, there was a student who went around at least once during lunch to attempt to proselytize, and asked me what I believed in, I didn't really say anything to him. Another time in biology class, a student claimed she knew evolution wasn't real. Fortunately the teacher knew how to deal with that and told her that was a religious belief, and evolution is science. Thumbsup

My music teacher (who was the leader of the Christian Club) was probably the most inconsiderate. If I remember correctly he asked if anyone in the class was an atheist. No one said anything. Then he made some disapproving comment about atheists.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
03-02-2016, 02:57 AM
Girl I was dating broke up with me 'cos her Mama told her that dating an atheist was "not serious" and she shouldn't be playing around - marriage or nothing.

I experienced significant self-loathing as a teenager from being taught that e.g. masturbation was evil and dirty, and so forth.

Many people I would have called friends in the past now keep me at arm's length, presumably because I might infect them.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-02-2016, 05:36 AM
I belonged to the 7th Day Adventist church. Annually we would go out caroling at Christmas time asking for donations to help the poor. At the end of the season we'd spend about half of what was begged from our neighbors to have a banquet to celebrate our great season!
[+] 3 users Like DerFish's post