What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2016, 06:39 AM
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
Back when I was a Christian: none. My experiences in the church were universally positive. The people were nice and supported each other. The kids all played together and studied together. We did camping trips and everyone was super nice. It wasn't all about god when we got together, but there was that thread that connected all of us.

After I came out though...

At first I thought no one would care. Most religious people had seemed nice, so a simple difference of opinion wouldn't matter. The only thing that had changed was that I no longer felt that such a belief was justified. But if it made them happy, hey, it's a journey we all have to take in our own way.

I was wrong.

A couple of guys who came into the store I was working at asked me about the bible verses on the side of the highway. I said I was an atheist and didn't care much about it. They stopped, and stood at the counter for a while (it was like 1am) and started asking me about things. So I bought into that evolution stuff? I thought we all just came out of nothing? After talking for a few they went outside and keyed my car.

A few years later I was working as an assistant manager at another place. One of the people who worked there was a pastor who worked at the store part time. I have always been an "out" atheist. I don't believe in hiding things about myself. Well she did not like me, and did not like that a godless heathen was her boss. So she complained to the store manager, saying I wasn't doing my job. That I wasn't stocking, wasn't doing inventory, things like that. I had to show the surveillance footage that proved she was lieing. For the next month I had to take photos and videos of all the work I did so I had proof that I was doing it.

Then there's the ongoing issue with the bureaucrats at my university. I MIGHT have mentioned that I felt the use of bible quotes in official emails sent out by the people who do administrative work at my public university might not be appropriate. Or it could be that each time they pull up my file the fact that I'm a member of the SSA comes up. But they have been throwing up roadblocks every time they can. I ask to get a structural professor as an adviser, they can't help me. They can help the christian student who asks, but not me. They schedule another student in the same advising slot as me. They lose my paperwork for registration. Or how about how the screaming preacher got kicked out when he told the girl wearing a hijab that she was a cursed heather who deserved death, but not when he said people should go to my house and assault me? It wasn't freedom of speech when they did it to the muslim student, but when he says it to the atheist it's ok?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like natachan's post
03-02-2016, 07:40 AM
(02-02-2016 09:57 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Constant and unrelenting missionizing. Apparently one of the apostles said to go to the Jews first, so the evangels think there's some special cookie up in heaven waiting for them if they "save" a Jew.

I see the look in their eyes when they learn that I'm Jewish. It's like they can taste that cookie and they're hungry for it!

Angry

Be like Jesus. Convert them Wink.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
03-02-2016, 07:53 AM
(02-02-2016 09:02 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now.

I haven't had a lot, directly. A few noteworthy ones:
  • My ex-stepdad went all fundie when I was eight, and burned all of my He Men in a barrel, because he read a book that they were satanic (none of that is an exaggeration).
  • About the first year I was playing Dungeons and Dragons, I got some flack from a few people about the game being satanic. Luckily, that didn't last too long.
  • My mom's dad is an evil fucking asshole. When I say "evil", I don't mean "a jerk"; I mean the only functional difference between him and Hitler is scope. Luckily, he didn't do too much to me directly, but the last time I talked to him (about 12 years ago), it was fucking terrible. I know this guy is the asshole to end all assholes, and he's going on humble bragging about what a great Christian he is.
  • I got quasi-stalked in a FB group by a Baptist minister who couldn't stop lying if Jesus personally told him to.
And that's really the worst of it. I occasionally run into Christians being assholes on FB, and I tend to either ignore it or throw them on acquaintance mode or unfriend them. I go to my wife's church most weeks and I am happy that I like pretty much everyone I talk to there. While I feel they're more credulous than they ought to be on the matter, they use it as a call to be better people rather than as an excuse to be more of an asshole.

Hmmm... this may be my record for the number of uses of the word "asshole" in one post. Go figure it's in a thread titled "What negative experiences have you had with Christians?". [Image: awesome.gif]
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Priest refused to baptize my daughter because I was an unwed mother. It was hard enough to decide to ask (to make family happy) but then to be turned away...Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
03-02-2016, 09:02 AM
I lived in KC growing up and someone else's religion was never an issue there at that time. Not once did I have a bad experience. Now, my aunt took me to the UU church when I was about 6 and they told her to wait to bring me back when I didn't ask so many questions. Said I was disruptive but I don't consider that a bad experience for me, just them. Smile

I've had some small issues occasionally here in Oklahoma but nothing that I wasn't happy to take on. My family, particularly my son, went through a bad time.

When my son was in 1st grade we lived in a small town in Ks. He was a very happy boy so when he started coming home from school in a unhappy mood I noticed right away. He didn't commit to an answer but soon he started refusing to go to school. I knew something was wrong and he said some girl at school didn't like him. He came home one day crying. That was all I could take, I made him tell me what was going on.

Seems this little xtian zealot was harassing him. She had asked him about loving jesus the week before and he told her we didn't go to church or believe in gods. She went nuts on him, telling him he was going to hell and things. Evidently the teacher had to intervene though she didn't send a note home (I took great issue with this as a passive-aggressive way to convert my child). It didn't stop, the girl sat behind my son and she would whisper taunts at him all day, she drew picture of him and us burning in hell. She wouldn't stop.

I went to school and had a talk with the teacher and the principle. They agree to separate them and have a conference with her parents. Seems the grandmother was encouraging this behavior but it didn't fix anything to put her in a different class. She just found him at recess and lunch and kept it up.

My son came home crying again because she drew a picture of his bunnies burning in hell and had stuffed in his coat pocket. That was it!

I went to school and I was glorious! (My ex refers to this incident as the Ride of the Valkyrie) I told the school that they would expel that child (demon) and make her go somewhere else or not only would I sue the school, the parents and grandparents but each and every one of them who failed to protect my child! I let'er rip!

The girl got moved to the county school the next day and no more harassment. However, it really devastated my family for a long time and it killed my son's enthusiasm for school. He never recovered a love for school. Never. Sad

That's the worst thing I've ever experienced at the hands of a fundy.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 13 users Like Heatheness's post
03-02-2016, 09:29 AM
(03-02-2016 09:02 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I lived in KC growing up and someone else's religion was never an issue there at that time. Not once did I have a bad experience. Now, my aunt took me to the UU church when I was about 6 and they told her to wait to bring me back when I didn't ask so many questions. Said I was disruptive but I don't consider that a bad experience for me, just them. Smile

I've had some small issues occasionally here in Oklahoma but nothing that I wasn't happy to take on. My family, particularly my son, went through a bad time.

When my son was in 1st grade we lived in a small town in Ks. He was a very happy boy so when he started coming home from school in a unhappy mood I noticed right away. He didn't commit to an answer but soon he started refusing to go to school. I knew something was wrong and he said some girl at school didn't like him. He came home one day crying. That was all I could take, I made him tell me what was going on.

Seems this little xtian zealot was harassing him. She had asked him about loving jesus the week before and he told her we didn't go to church or believe in gods. She went nuts on him, telling him he was going to hell and things. Evidently the teacher had to intervene though she didn't send a note home (I took great issue with this as a passive-aggressive way to convert my child). It didn't stop, the girl sat behind my son and she would whisper taunts at him all day, she drew picture of him and us burning in hell. She wouldn't stop.

I went to school and had a talk with the teacher and the principle. They agree to separate them and have a conference with her parents. Seems the grandmother was encouraging this behavior but it didn't fix anything to put her in a different class. She just found him at recess and lunch and kept it up.

My son came home crying again because she drew a picture of his bunnies burning in hell and had stuffed in his coat pocket. That was it!

I went to school and I was glorious! (My ex refers to this incident as the Ride of the Valkyrie) I told the school that they would expel that child (demon) and make her go somewhere else or not only would I sue the school, the parents and grandparents but each and every one of them who failed to protect my child! I let'er rip!

The girl got moved to the county school the next day and no more harassment. However, it really devastated my family for a long time and it killed my son's enthusiasm for school. He never recovered a love for school. Never. Sad

Sadcryface Hug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
03-02-2016, 09:34 AM
(03-02-2016 09:02 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I lived in KC growing up and someone else's religion was never an issue there at that time. Not once did I have a bad experience. Now, my aunt took me to the UU church when I was about 6 and they told her to wait to bring me back when I didn't ask so many questions. Said I was disruptive but I don't consider that a bad experience for me, just them. Smile

What a terrible experience. That's so devastating to a kid. My son has had two major bullying situations. The school finally had to threaten one set of bullies with police prosecution before they quit; the other one we weren't told about until a couple of years after it had happened. Both times I was livid.

I'd bet the child who bullied yours soon found a new victim at her new school. It sucks that because she was hiding behind religion, the school was not quick to stop it. Shame on them.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
03-02-2016, 09:41 AM
(02-02-2016 09:02 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm writing a paper for my college English class about religion, and how it's affected people negatively and myself. I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now. I'm just curious as to what everyone has experienced? What was your breaking point? I want to use these as inspiration and also for short stories for this essay. Thanks guys!

I think experiencing the hate and anti-well... everything... from devout Muslims was my breaking point.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post
03-02-2016, 11:49 AM
(02-02-2016 09:57 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Constant and unrelenting missionizing. Apparently one of the apostles said to go to the Jews first, so the evangels think there's some special cookie up in heaven waiting for them if they "save" a Jew.

I see the look in their eyes when they learn that I'm Jewish. It's like they can taste that cookie and they're hungry for it!

Angry

Edit: Wait a minute... The title of your thread calls for negative experiences with Christians, but the body reads theists. I do not have negative experiences with other types of theists.

Hug

Just for you. Smile

[Image: U7GNBtX.jpg?1]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
03-02-2016, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 12:39 PM by Adrianime.)

I'm glad the little girl was the one forced to leave. Hopefully that communicated how unacceptable her behavior was. I can only hope, as she looks back as an adult (whenever she becomes one), that she realizes what a terrible little person she was being.

Also, I hope her parents got a little backlash for raising her up that way.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post