What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2016, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 12:37 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
This isn't directly a negative that happened to me, or even a direct negative. But my sister who is struggling the most in life is (of course) the most religious. I was driving her daughter, my niece, around one day. We saw a homeless person and my niece said, "Did you know that homeless people are homeless because god hates them?"

Facepalm

I had to (try to) explain that that wasn't true. The damage...is on my niece. She is being filled with thoughts like this all her life. She is an incredibly smart girl (as children who grow up with irresponsible parents tend to be), but she loves her mother and will believe anything she says. It's so sad.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
03-02-2016, 12:40 PM
(03-02-2016 12:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:02 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I lived in KC growing up and someone else's religion was never an issue there at that time. Not once did I have a bad experience. Now, my aunt took me to the UU church when I was about 6 and they told her to wait to bring me back when I didn't ask so many questions. Said I was disruptive but I don't consider that a bad experience for me, just them. Smile

I've had some small issues occasionally here in Oklahoma but nothing that I wasn't happy to take on. My family, particularly my son, went through a bad time.

When my son was in 1st grade we lived in a small town in Ks. He was a very happy boy so when he started coming home from school in a unhappy mood I noticed right away. He didn't commit to an answer but soon he started refusing to go to school. I knew something was wrong and he said some girl at school didn't like him. He came home one day crying. That was all I could take, I made him tell me what was going on.

Seems this little xtian zealot was harassing him. She had asked him about loving jesus the week before and he told her we didn't go to church or believe in gods. She went nuts on him, telling him he was going to hell and things. Evidently the teacher had to intervene though she didn't send a note home (I took great issue with this as a passive-aggressive way to convert my child). It didn't stop, the girl sat behind my son and she would whisper taunts at him all day, she drew picture of him and us burning in hell. She wouldn't stop.

I went to school and had a talk with the teacher and the principle. They agree to separate them and have a conference with her parents. Seems the grandmother was encouraging this behavior but it didn't fix anything to put her in a different class. She just found him at recess and lunch and kept it up.

My son came home crying again because she drew a picture of his bunnies burning in hell and had stuffed in his coat pocket. That was it!

I went to school and I was glorious! (My ex refers to this incident as the Ride of the Valkyrie) I told the school that they would expel that child (demon) and make her go somewhere else or not only would I sue the school, the parents and grandparents but each and every one of them who failed to protect my child! I let'er rip!

The girl got moved to the county school the next day and no more harassment. However, it really devastated my family for a long time and it killed my son's enthusiasm for school. He never recovered a love for school. Never. Sad

That's the worst thing I've ever experienced at the hands of a fundy.
I'm glad the little girl was the one forced to leave. Hopefully that communicated how unacceptable her behavior was. I can only hope, as she looks back as an adult (whenever she becomes one), that she realizes what a terrible little person she was being.

This was 20yrs ago. I don't hold much for her chances of regretting her behaviors when she was supported by her family. It changed my son forever thoguh. He was a happy, accepting and friendly little boy but after this he became more suspicious and less trusting of others. He closed people out more. I tried to mitigate this but it changed his personality. That broke my heart.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
03-02-2016, 03:34 PM
(03-02-2016 12:40 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 12:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm glad the little girl was the one forced to leave. Hopefully that communicated how unacceptable her behavior was. I can only hope, as she looks back as an adult (whenever she becomes one), that she realizes what a terrible little person she was being.

This was 20yrs ago. I don't hold much for her chances of regretting her behaviors when she was supported by her family. It changed my son forever thoguh. He was a happy, accepting and friendly little boy but after this he became more suspicious and less trusting of others. He closed people out more. I tried to mitigate this but it changed his personality. That broke my heart.

Hug

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
03-02-2016, 04:09 PM
(03-02-2016 07:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ]

I haven't had a lot, directly. A few noteworthy ones:[list]
[*]My ex-stepdad went all fundie when I was eight, and burned all of my He Men in a barrel, because he read a book that they were satanic (none of that is an exaggeration).

I can relate to this, my parents were freshly born again and so as kids we were banned from watching He-Man (only one Master of the Universe) and Thundercats.
[+] 1 user Likes Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
03-02-2016, 04:29 PM
(03-02-2016 04:09 PM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 07:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ]

I haven't had a lot, directly. A few noteworthy ones:[list]
[*]My ex-stepdad went all fundie when I was eight, and burned all of my He Men in a barrel, because he read a book that they were satanic (none of that is an exaggeration).

I can relate to this, my parents were freshly born again and so as kids we were banned from watching He-Man (only one Master of the Universe) and Thundercats.

Sadcryface2

I loved those shows and I wasn't even a kid. Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
03-02-2016, 04:39 PM
(03-02-2016 11:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 09:57 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Constant and unrelenting missionizing. Apparently one of the apostles said to go to the Jews first, so the evangels think there's some special cookie up in heaven waiting for them if they "save" a Jew.

I see the look in their eyes when they learn that I'm Jewish. It's like they can taste that cookie and they're hungry for it!

Angry

Edit: Wait a minute... The title of your thread calls for negative experiences with Christians, but the body reads theists. I do not have negative experiences with other types of theists.

Hug

Just for you. Smile

[Image: U7GNBtX.jpg?1]

Those cookies look like bricks of poo. They can keep them. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
03-02-2016, 04:41 PM
(03-02-2016 04:39 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 11:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Hug

Just for you. Smile

[Image: U7GNBtX.jpg?1]

Those cookies look like bricks of poo. They can keep them. Smile

Whaaaaaa....... Weeping

03-02-2016, 04:48 PM
(03-02-2016 04:41 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 04:39 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Those cookies look like bricks of poo. They can keep them. Smile

Whaaaaaa....... Weeping

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
03-02-2016, 04:53 PM
You mean apart from some of the assholes here? None.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-02-2016, 05:20 PM
My Christian neighbors don't talk to me anymore since they saw my transgender daughter go from male to female. If I was out working in my garden they would come by and ask curious questions about my two kids, trying to dig up some juicy gossip about my oldest transgender daughter but I always managed to dodge their questions.

It's no great loss though. They were a bunch of nosey busybodies even before she transitioned and I never had anything in common with them anyway since I've only been to church twice in my entire life......... and that was two times too many.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post