What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2016, 06:13 PM
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
(02-02-2016 09:02 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm writing a paper for my college English class about religion, and how it's affected people negatively and myself. I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now. I'm just curious as to what everyone has experienced? What was your breaking point? I want to use these as inspiration and also for short stories for this essay. Thanks guys!

Other than being told that I asked too many questions, nothing really. Sorry theists, my rejection of religion is 100% intellectual in nature. My real breaking point was realizing that I had this wonderful brain and according to religion, I wasn't supposed to use it. I was supposed to believe on faith. This I couldn't reconcile. This is the reason I really started looking to justify my belief in reason and I found that I couldn't. Boy couldn't I. Then I discovered rational philosophy and that was the dead end for God.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
03-02-2016, 06:20 PM
My neighbors mother once gave me a religious jesus is here to save you pamphlet that I thought was hilarious... but other than that I can't think of anything.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-02-2016, 06:25 PM
I've been trying to think of something, but I've got nothing beyond normal face-palming moments. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Sounds like most of you have good reason to dislike "Christians".

It also seems that what y'all describe the as negative acts of said "Christians" are expressly not Christian behaviors.
Definitely helps to shed light on many of your dispositions, and I'm sorry for the things that took place at the hands of those hypocrites.

Hopefully soon Christians will start acting right on a more wide spread level. I'm not immune, nor are any of us, but if one proclaims there own salvation or way of being with there words, and it isn't reflected in their actions, then they aren't being truthful with themselves, and they will be recompensed for their actions. Including me.

I personally have been cast out as an antichrist before, and have witnessed general selfish, elitist mentality from many who would have you think they are rightious in every way. You can always tell ones true colors through observation though.

Eventually we will come together in peace and prosperity.

All of us that can let loose of greed.

I am grateful to be here, that I might learn further of the hypocrisy of those claiming to know the direction of rightiousness.

Peace.
04-02-2016, 07:03 AM
(04-02-2016 06:39 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Sounds like most of you have good reason to dislike "Christians".

It isn't "Christians", or even Christians. It's people who claim to know things that they have no evidence for.

Quote:It also seems that what y'all describe the as negative acts of said "Christians" are expressly not Christian behaviors.

Yes, they are. That's what happens when you live your life based on delusions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
04-02-2016, 07:04 AM
(03-02-2016 04:09 PM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  I can relate to this, my parents were freshly born again and so as kids we were banned from watching He-Man (only one Master of the Universe) and Thundercats.

That was the same justification I saw: only one master of the universe! This didn't, by any chance, come from the book Turmoil in the Toybox, did it?

I fucking hated that book. He made me read it when I got older, and I realized what a crock of shit it was, then. Looking back on it, he probably got a boner reading it because it said a bunch of fundie things and fit nicely with his "kids these days" world view. Because it's much easier to assume that your kids don't listen because of evil toys than it is to reexamine your own parenting abilities.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-02-2016, 12:23 PM
(04-02-2016 07:03 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 06:39 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Sounds like most of you have good reason to dislike "Christians".

It isn't "Christians", or even Christians. It's people who claim to know things that they have no evidence for.

Quote:It also seems that what y'all describe the as negative acts of said "Christians" are expressly not Christian behaviors.

Yes, they are. That's what happens when you live your life based on delusions.
Doesn't really make sense in the context I mean.

There is a general moral code that should be adhered to by all. Christians more so than others as they claim to be saved and right with GOD.

That's all. No need to b a dick, but whatever.
04-02-2016, 12:34 PM
(03-02-2016 09:02 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I lived in KC growing up and someone else's religion was never an issue there at that time. Not once did I have a bad experience. Now, my aunt took me to the UU church when I was about 6 and they told her to wait to bring me back when I didn't ask so many questions. Said I was disruptive but I don't consider that a bad experience for me, just them. Smile

I've had some small issues occasionally here in Oklahoma but nothing that I wasn't happy to take on. My family, particularly my son, went through a bad time.

When my son was in 1st grade we lived in a small town in Ks. He was a very happy boy so when he started coming home from school in a unhappy mood I noticed right away. He didn't commit to an answer but soon he started refusing to go to school. I knew something was wrong and he said some girl at school didn't like him. He came home one day crying. That was all I could take, I made him tell me what was going on.

Seems this little xtian zealot was harassing him. She had asked him about loving jesus the week before and he told her we didn't go to church or believe in gods. She went nuts on him, telling him he was going to hell and things. Evidently the teacher had to intervene though she didn't send a note home (I took great issue with this as a passive-aggressive way to convert my child). It didn't stop, the girl sat behind my son and she would whisper taunts at him all day, she drew picture of him and us burning in hell. She wouldn't stop.

I went to school and had a talk with the teacher and the principle. They agree to separate them and have a conference with her parents. Seems the grandmother was encouraging this behavior but it didn't fix anything to put her in a different class. She just found him at recess and lunch and kept it up.

My son came home crying again because she drew a picture of his bunnies burning in hell and had stuffed in his coat pocket. That was it!

I went to school and I was glorious! (My ex refers to this incident as the Ride of the Valkyrie) I told the school that they would expel that child (demon) and make her go somewhere else or not only would I sue the school, the parents and grandparents but each and every one of them who failed to protect my child! I let'er rip!

The girl got moved to the county school the next day and no more harassment. However, it really devastated my family for a long time and it killed my son's enthusiasm for school. He never recovered a love for school. Never. Sad

That's the worst thing I've ever experienced at the hands of a fundy.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that's absolutely terrible.
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
04-02-2016, 12:58 PM
I haven't had any recent horrible experiences in person at this point, most of what happened to me was while I was growing up as my dad was an super fundamentalist and my mom just went along with it.
*sigh* Where to even begin

I was home schooled from 1st - 5th grade, I was in kindergarten and Sunday school for those first few years until my dad didn't like the church anymore. During that time I had no real contact with anyone outside of my family, no real friends or anything as my parents didn't let me interact with kids for the most part, so no childhood friends and all that.
I wasn't allowed to watch any TV other than Christian tv and cartoons IE Superbook
I was told that sex was evil and that I need to wait until I was married until I could have it and then only to have kids. I was taught masturbation was evil and when I went through phase that most boys do where you tend to play down there I was told don't do that or it will fall off.
All my friendships were controlled by my parents and they would cut them off if they didn't like them much, which was pretty much everybody so I never really had any normal sense of interacting with friends until my mid to late teens and to this day I still have a lot of trouble interacting with and reading people correctly.
Recently I found out that my dad molested my sister for years and may have been the reason we constantly moved around the country to avoid CPS which has resulted in her having depression and PTSD.
I was punished for watching bill nye the science guy, and for watching star trek when an episode that involved evolution played.
Reading Harry potter books, and anything remotely dealing with dungeon and dragons was not allowed because it was of Satan.
I nearly failed high school biology because I was told not to pay attention to any of the evolution pieces of the course work.
Right before my deconversion my mind almost shattered under the strain of faith vs reason.

That is what I can remember off the top of my head at the moment, I'm sure there is much more but my childhood and teenage years were fucked up to say the least that has permanently affected who I am and not for the better. I often find myself wondering who I would have ended up becoming if I could have had a normal childhood.

And now I've made myself sad Sad

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 5 users Like Worom's post
04-02-2016, 12:58 PM
(04-02-2016 12:23 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Doesn't really make sense in the context I mean.

There is a general moral code that should be adhered to by all. Christians more so than others as they claim to be saved and right with GOD.

I'm sorry that you are unable to express yourself clearly enough to be understood.

Quote:That's all. No need to b a dick, but whatever.

Sometimes that's the only thing left.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP