What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 01:05 PM
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
(04-02-2016 12:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  I haven't had any recent horrible experiences in person at this point, most of what happened to me was while I was growing up as my dad was an super fundamentalist and my mom just went along with it.
*sigh* Where to even begin

I was home schooled from 1st - 5th grade, I was in kindergarten and Sunday school for those first few years until my dad didn't like the church anymore. During that time I had no real contact with anyone outside of my family, no real friends or anything as my parents didn't let me interact with kids for the most part, so no childhood friends and all that.
I wasn't allowed to watch any TV other than Christian tv and cartoons IE Superbook
I was told that sex was evil and that I need to wait until I was married until I could have it and then only to have kids. I was taught masturbation was evil and when I went through phase that most boys do where you tend to play down there I was told don't do that or it will fall off.
All my friendships were controlled by my parents and they would cut them off if they didn't like them much, which was pretty much everybody so I never really had any normal sense of interacting with friends until my mid to late teens and to this day I still have a lot of trouble interacting with and reading people correctly.
Recently I found out that my dad molested my sister for years and may have been the reason we constantly moved around the country to avoid CPS which has resulted in her having depression and PTSD.
I was punished for watching bill nye the science guy, and for watching star trek when an episode that involved evolution played.
Reading Harry potter books, and anything remotely dealing with dungeon and dragons was not allowed because it was of Satan.
I nearly failed high school biology because I was told not to pay attention to any of the evolution pieces of the course work.
Right before my deconversion my mind almost shattered under the strain of faith vs reason.

That is what I can remember off the top of my head at the moment, I'm sure there is much more but my childhood and teenage years were fucked up to say the least that has permanently affected who I am and not for the better. I often find myself wondering who I would have ended up becoming if I could have had a normal childhood.

And now I've made myself sad Sad

Sad Me too.

Hug

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
04-02-2016, 03:40 PM
(04-02-2016 12:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  I haven't had any recent horrible experiences in person at this point, most of what happened to me was while I was growing up as my dad was an super fundamentalist and my mom just went along with it.

I was home schooled from 1st - 5th grade, I was in kindergarten and Sunday school for those first few years until my dad didn't like the church anymore. During that time I had no real contact with anyone outside of my family, no real friends or anything as my parents didn't let me interact with kids for the most part, so no childhood friends and all that.
I wasn't allowed to watch any TV other than Christian tv and cartoons IE Superbook
I was told that sex was evil and that I need to wait until I was married until I could have it and then only to have kids. I was taught masturbation was evil and when I went through phase that most boys do where you tend to play down there I was told don't do that or it will fall off.
All my friendships were controlled by my parents and they would cut them off if they didn't like them much, which was pretty much everybody so I never really had any normal sense of interacting with friends until my mid to late teens and to this day I still have a lot of trouble interacting with and reading people correctly.
Recently I found out that my dad molested my sister for years and may have been the reason we constantly moved around the country to avoid CPS which has resulted in her having depression and PTSD.
I was punished for watching bill nye the science guy, and for watching star trek when an episode that involved evolution played.
Reading Harry potter books, and anything remotely dealing with dungeon and dragons was not allowed because it was of Satan.
I nearly failed high school biology because I was told not to pay attention to any of the evolution pieces of the course work.
Right before my deconversion my mind almost shattered under the strain of faith vs reason.

That is what I can remember off the top of my head at the moment, I'm sure there is much more but my childhood and teenage years were fucked up to say the least that has permanently affected who I am and not for the better. I often find myself wondering who I would have ended up becoming if I could have had a normal childhood.

Your dungeons and dragons story reminds me. When my kids were little I was in a store and took them over to pick out some Pokemon cards which they collected and just loved to play with. Some lady was wheeling her shopping cart by with two kids sitting in the cart. They took a look at my kids thumbing through all the Pokemon cards and wanted to come take a look too. Well, the mother started screaming and yelling at them, telling them that Pokemon was the work of the devil and that the cards were evil. I couldn't believe it. I felt so sorry for those kids. Can you believe? I mean, Pokemon cards? Really?

I'm sorry you had to go through all the crap you went through. Hug

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-02-2016, 03:47 PM

*Huuugs*

Just for the record. I had a normal childhood and have managed to fuck myself up somehow.
You on the other hand, had a fucked up childhood and managed to pull yourself up.

So don't be too sad, you have done very well with the hand you have been dealt.
[+] 5 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
04-02-2016, 04:54 PM
(04-02-2016 03:47 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  

*Huuugs*

Just for the record. I had a normal childhood and have managed to fuck myself up somehow.
You on the other hand, had a fucked up childhood and managed to pull yourself up.

Hugs to you too, Nishi. Hug

Heart

[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-02-2016, 04:56 PM
(04-02-2016 04:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 03:47 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  *Huuugs*

Hugs to you too, Nishi. Hug

Heart
What?

Why?
04-02-2016, 05:53 PM
(04-02-2016 04:56 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 04:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hugs to you too, Nishi. Hug

Heart
What?

Why?

I donno. Maybe because you said you" fucked yourself up somehow." So, why not?

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-02-2016, 06:15 PM
(03-02-2016 04:09 PM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  I can relate to this, my parents were freshly born again and so as kids we were banned from watching He-Man (only one Master of the Universe) and Thundercats.

No surprise here. The gay overtones of He-man resonate today.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-02-2016, 08:46 PM
(04-02-2016 12:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 12:23 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Doesn't really make sense in the context I mean.

There is a general moral code that should be adhered to by all. Christians more so than others as they claim to be saved and right with GOD.

I'm sorry that you are unable to express yourself clearly enough to be understood.

Quote:That's all. No need to b a dick, but whatever.

Sometimes that's the only thing left.
Just didn't have to be in that case is all. Matter of opinion I guess.
04-02-2016, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 09:15 PM by carol.)
(02-02-2016 09:02 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm writing a paper for my college English class about religion, and how it's affected people negatively and myself. I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now. I'm just curious as to what everyone has experienced? What was your breaking point? I want to use these as inspiration and also for short stories for this essay. Thanks guys!

The first that I can remember was going to a church with a friend, and her mother telling her I was not allowed to take communion because I did not have a soul. I also had rocks thrown at me growing up by some christian children, because I was raised atheist. I had some little white racists hostile to me because my father was jewish too. I had a religious mix-mom was raised by parents who were christian scientist/quaker, my father was a holocaust survivor who was jewish genetically but was raised christian. I had negative experiences with jewish theists too, who told me I am not jewish and would need to convert, because my mother is not jewish. There was a strong catholic neighborhood and some strong hostility to our strange family. That intensified when my parents divorced and my mom came out as a lesbian. I was raised atheist although my grandparents were in a war for our souls-especially the one that was christian scientist, who hated jewish people regardless of the religion they were raised in.

When I became an adult and started teaching, I accepted the strict limitations parents impose upon teachers in a small town-which have evolved as I grew older and started teaching high school. Often they are religious in nature. I take it for granted that when I am out in public, even going to a grocery store, it is common for a parent to ask me a religious question or bless me, ( loudly) or try to pray over me, or complain about science classes or bring up some religious restrictions that they would like me to honor when teaching their child. When meeting the parents, it is very common for them to invite me to their church and ask a lot about what church I attend, ask very personal questions about my life and try to make sure I do not believe in evolution or teach the kids sex ed in a way they do not approve of. They examine book lists we print out and try to ban books on a regular basis. They have come to the classroom and sat in for several days when I was teaching engllish and science classes they objected to. In honors english class they have restricted the books their children (who were seniors) were allowed to read. ( at the beginning of the school year we always pass out the book lists so they can be examined, but inevitably a parent will wait until the last moment to object, halfway through the school year.) I would say that there are two or three religious extremists parents every year that cause a lot of problems for the school. There are also a lot of home schoolers who bring their children to some school events which we have to make accommodations for due to religious restrictions.

I am very careful with my dress and my language and stick to one glass of wine when out to eat. I am also very careful to keep to myself in general. I am well liked in by the majority of parents and students, and in this little town too, but that came from my sticking to topics like the weather when I talk to people outside of school. I really do not share myself with parents much at all.

I am very honest when talking one on one with students when off work though ( before and after school, lunch breaks) , especially students who came to me for help because of the pain religion has caused them. If the student is very religious I work with them to get them through the class, but when a student is honestly questioning and not trying to set me up for punishment from their fundie parents I am forthright about my ideas.I also try to set up situations for students to share ideas.
In retrospect, I would have been happier teaching in a college. This year I took of for surgery, and who knows what I will do next year. It may be time for a change.

does this seem whiny>?? reads as whiny to meWeeping
[+] 4 users Like carol's post
04-02-2016, 09:21 PM
(04-02-2016 09:08 PM)carol Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 09:02 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm writing a paper for my college English class about religion, and how it's affected people negatively and myself. I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now. I'm just curious as to what everyone has experienced? What was your breaking point? I want to use these as inspiration and also for short stories for this essay. Thanks guys!

The first that I can remember was going to a church with a friend, and her mother telling her I was not allowed to take communion because I did not have a soul. I also had rocks thrown at me growing up by some christian children, because I was raised atheist. I had some little white racists hostile to me because my father was jewish too. I had a religious mix-mom was raised by parents who were christian scientist/quaker, my father was a holocaust survivor who was jewish genetically but was raised christian. I had negative experiences with jewish theists too, who told me I am not jewish and would need to convert, because my mother is not jewish. There was a strong catholic neighborhood and some strong hostility to our strange family. That intensified when my parents divorced and my mom came out as a lesbian. I was raised atheist although my grandparents were in a war for our souls-especially the one that was christian scientist, who hated jewish people regardless of the religion they were raised in.

When I became an adult and started teaching, I accepted the strict limitations parents impose upon teachers in a small town-which have evolved as I grew older and started teaching high school. Often they are religious in nature. I take it for granted that when I am out in public, even going to a grocery store, it is common for a parent to ask me a religious question or bless me, ( loudly) or try to pray over me, or complain about science classes or bring up some religious restrictions that they would like me to honor when teaching their child. When meeting the parents, it is very common for them to invite me to their church and ask a lot about what church I attend, ask very personal questions about my life and try to make sure I do not believe in evolution or teach the kids sex ed in a way they do not approve of. They examine book lists we print out and try to ban books on a regular basis. They have come to the classroom and sat in for several days when I was teaching engllish and science classes they objected to. In honors english class they have restricted the books their children (who were seniors) were allowed to read. ( at the beginning of the school year we always pass out the book lists so they can be examined, but inevitably a parent will wait until the last moment to object, halfway through the school year.) I would say that there are two or three religious extremists parents every year that cause a lot of problems for the school. There are also a lot of home schoolers who bring their children to some school events which we have to make accommodations for due to religious restrictions.

I am very careful with my dress and my language and stick to one glass of wine when out to eat. I am also very careful to keep to myself in general. I am well liked in by the majority of parents and students, and in this little town too, but that came from my sticking to topics like the weather when I talk to people outside of school. I really do not share myself with parents much at all.

I am very honest when talking one on one with students when off work though ( before and after school, lunch breaks) , especially students who came to me for help because of the pain religion has caused them. If the student is very religious I work with them to get them through the class, but when a student is honestly questioning and not trying to set me up for punishment from their fundie parents I am forthright about my ideas.I also try to set up situations for students to share ideas.
In retrospect, I would have been happier teaching in a college. This year I took of for surgery, and who knows what I will do next year. It may be time for a change.

does this seem whiny>?? reads as whiny to meWeeping

Not whiny.

It is sad that you need to live in such a closed and cautious way. Have you considered teaching at a private school?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user