What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 09:25 PM
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
(04-02-2016 12:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  And now I've made myself sad Sad

Hug
I am so sorry.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
04-02-2016, 09:28 PM
(04-02-2016 09:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  [quote='carol' pid='941408' dateline='1454641683']

Not whiny.

It is sad that you need to live in such a closed and cautious way. Have you considered teaching at a private school?

That is a wonderful suggestion. It is time for a change for me.
04-02-2016, 09:35 PM
(04-02-2016 09:08 PM)carol Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 09:02 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm writing a paper for my college English class about religion, and how it's affected people negatively and myself. I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now. I'm just curious as to what everyone has experienced? What was your breaking point? I want to use these as inspiration and also for short stories for this essay. Thanks guys!

The first that I can remember was going to a church with a friend, and her mother telling her I was not allowed to take communion because I did not have a soul. I also had rocks thrown at me growing up by some christian children, because I was raised atheist. I had some little white racists hostile to me because my father was jewish too. I had a religious mix-mom was raised by parents who were christian scientist/quaker, my father was a holocaust survivor who was jewish genetically but was raised christian. I had negative experiences with jewish theists too, who told me I am not jewish and would need to convert, because my mother is not jewish. There was a strong catholic neighborhood and some strong hostility to our strange family. That intensified when my parents divorced and my mom came out as a lesbian. I was raised atheist although my grandparents were in a war for our souls-especially the one that was christian scientist, who hated jewish people regardless of the religion they were raised in.

When I became an adult and started teaching, I accepted the strict limitations parents impose upon teachers in a small town-which have evolved as I grew older and started teaching high school. Often they are religious in nature. I take it for granted that when I am out in public, even going to a grocery store, it is common for a parent to ask me a religious question or bless me, ( loudly) or try to pray over me, or complain about science classes or bring up some religious restrictions that they would like me to honor when teaching their child. When meeting the parents, it is very common for them to invite me to their church and ask a lot about what church I attend, ask very personal questions about my life and try to make sure I do not believe in evolution or teach the kids sex ed in a way they do not approve of. They examine book lists we print out and try to ban books on a regular basis. They have come to the classroom and sat in for several days when I was teaching engllish and science classes they objected to. In honors english class they have restricted the books their children (who were seniors) were allowed to read. ( at the beginning of the school year we always pass out the book lists so they can be examined, but inevitably a parent will wait until the last moment to object, halfway through the school year.) I would say that there are two or three religious extremists parents every year that cause a lot of problems for the school. There are also a lot of home schoolers who bring their children to some school events which we have to make accommodations for due to religious restrictions.

I am very careful with my dress and my language and stick to one glass of wine when out to eat. I am also very careful to keep to myself in general. I am well liked in by the majority of parents and students, and in this little town too, but that came from my sticking to topics like the weather when I talk to people outside of school. I really do not share myself with parents much at all.

I am very honest when talking one on one with students when off work though ( before and after school, lunch breaks) , especially students who came to me for help because of the pain religion has caused them. If the student is very religious I work with them to get them through the class, but when a student is honestly questioning and not trying to set me up for punishment from their fundie parents I am forthright about my ideas.I also try to set up situations for students to share ideas.
In retrospect, I would have been happier teaching in a college. This year I took of for surgery, and who knows what I will do next year. It may be time for a change.

does this seem whiny>?? reads as whiny to meWeeping

I'm sort of a "damn the torpedoes" kind of person, don't know how you keep it in and regulated. Sorry that you feel you have to. Kudos for having the ability to do so. I have a big mouth, being circumspect is not in my mental make-up.

Hug

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
04-02-2016, 09:39 PM
(02-02-2016 09:02 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm writing a paper for my college English class about religion, and how it's affected people negatively and myself. I wanted to know what negative experiences have you had with theists? It can be while you were religous or deconverting or even now. I'm just curious as to what everyone has experienced? What was your breaking point? I want to use these as inspiration and also for short stories for this essay. Thanks guys!

A JW told me to go to hell, after I asked him a bunch of nonsensical questions. I found it a bit odd, as far as I know, JWs don't believe in hell. Oh well, guess I'll be less annoying next time.
[+] 2 users Like xieulong's post
04-02-2016, 10:04 PM
04-02-2016, 10:06 PM
04-02-2016, 10:07 PM
arhg, sorry...

Thanks for the hug. I am a classic introvert in both the positive and negative attributes. I think long and hard to figure out solutions, and so I do not keep it in and regulated, it is just part of my nature to think first. I would have been cautious regardless of my job. I am also very good at it-reading the behavior and understanding what may work with different kids. It was a trade off, one i was willing to make but perhaps I will no longer be willing to. I also have a good school system, great principal, and a nice group of people to work with. It is only a percentage of people that make it difficult and because I work with so many students it is smart to be careful. I am certainly not circumspect-I take risks often. I am also able to take a classroom of high school students and get their attention, affection and respect-they work very hard in my class. There are different types of strength-my type is kind and quiet, but I get results and respect. I associate circumspect with someone who is too worried to move-I am not at all worried,or shy,,, i made a trade off, that is all. I am tough as nails in my own way. iron fist/velvet glove kinda woman. soft spoken but get results.
04-02-2016, 10:13 PM

The first that I can remember was going to a church with a friend, and her mother telling her I was not allowed to take communion because I did not have a soul. I also had rocks thrown at me growing up by some christian children, because I was raised atheist. I had some little white racists hostile to me because my father was jewish too. I had a religious mix-mom was raised by parents who were christian scientist/quaker, my father was a holocaust survivor who was jewish genetically but was raised christian. I had negative experiences with jewish theists too, who told me I am not jewish and would need to convert, because my mother is not jewish. There was a strong catholic neighborhood and some strong hostility to our strange family. That intensified when my parents divorced and my mom came out as a lesbian. I was raised atheist although my grandparents were in a war for our souls-especially the one that was christian scientist, who hated jewish people regardless of the religion they were raised in.

When I became an adult and started teaching, I accepted the strict limitations parents impose upon teachers in a small town-which have evolved as I grew older and started teaching high school. Often they are religious in nature. I take it for granted that when I am out in public, even going to a grocery store, it is common for a parent to ask me a religious question or bless me, ( loudly) or try to pray over me, or complain about science classes or bring up some religious restrictions that they would like me to honor when teaching their child. When meeting the parents, it is very common for them to invite me to their church and ask a lot about what church I attend, ask very personal questions about my life and try to make sure I do not believe in evolution or teach the kids sex ed in a way they do not approve of. They examine book lists we print out and try to ban books on a regular basis. They have come to the classroom and sat in for several days when I was teaching engllish and science classes they objected to. In honors english class they have restricted the books their children (who were seniors) were allowed to read. ( at the beginning of the school year we always pass out the book lists so they can be examined, but inevitably a parent will wait until the last moment to object, halfway through the school year.) I would say that there are two or three religious extremists parents every year that cause a lot of problems for the school. There are also a lot of home schoolers who bring their children to some school events which we have to make accommodations for due to religious restrictions.

I am very careful with my dress and my language and stick to one glass of wine when out to eat. I am also very careful to keep to myself in general. I am well liked in by the majority of parents and students, and in this little town too, but that came from my sticking to topics like the weather when I talk to people outside of school. I really do not share myself with parents much at all.

I am very honest when talking one on one with students when off work though ( before and after school, lunch breaks) , especially students who came to me for help because of the pain religion has caused them. If the student is very religious I work with them to get them through the class, but when a student is honestly questioning and not trying to set me up for punishment from their fundie parents I am forthright about my ideas.I also try to set up situations for students to share ideas.
In retrospect, I would have been happier teaching in a college. This year I took of for surgery, and who knows what I will do next year. It may be time for a change.

does this seem whiny>?? reads as whiny to meWeeping

My husband teaches high school. Fortunately we live in Portland OR, one of the most godless places in the country. Thumbs up for that.Thumbsup But even in this area he's run into books that parents don't like and he's been taken to task for teaching books that mention sex. He got into trouble for teaching the book Rat Saw God. The teenaged character smokes marijuana.

Now he teaches Shakespeare which is full of sex, violence, incest, cursing, drinking, crossdressing and all sorts of fun stuff but most parents that are conservative and religious don't understand Elizabethan English and just think it's quaint, stuffy highfalutin, hoity-toity nonsense . Bwahahahahaha. He gets away with all kinds of shit because of that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-02-2016, 10:29 PM
(04-02-2016 10:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

My husband teaches high school. Fortunately we live in Portland OR, one of the most godless places in the country. Thumbs up for that.Thumbsup But even in this area he's run into books that parents don't like and he's been taken to task for teaching books that mention sex. He got into trouble for teaching the book Rat Saw God. The teenaged character smokes marijuana.

Now he teaches Shakespeare which is full of sex, violence, incest, cursing, drinking, crossdressing and all sorts of fun stuff but most parents that are conservative and religious don't understand Elizabethan English and just think it's quaint, stuffy highfalutin, hoity-toity nonsense . Bwahahahahaha. He gets away with all kinds of shit because of that.

We did Shakespeare the year before last, it was wonderful.
04-02-2016, 11:05 PM
(04-02-2016 06:39 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Sounds like most of you have good reason to dislike "Christians".

It also seems that what y'all describe the as negative acts of said "Christians" are expressly not Christian behaviors.
Definitely helps to shed light on many of your dispositions, and I'm sorry for the things that took place at the hands of those hypocrites.

Hopefully soon Christians will start acting right on a more wide spread level. I'm not immune, nor are any of us, but if one proclaims there own salvation or way of being with there words, and it isn't reflected in their actions, then they aren't being truthful with themselves, and they will be recompensed for their actions. Including me.

I personally have been cast out as an antichrist before, and have witnessed general selfish, elitist mentality from many who would have you think they are rightious in every way. You can always tell ones true colors through observation though.

Eventually we will come together in peace and prosperity.

All of us that can let loose of greed.

I am grateful to be here, that I might learn further of the hypocrisy of those claiming to know the direction of rightiousness.

Peace.

I don't dislike them. I feel compassion for them. I see them as misguided and really as victims. Most of them. It's the preachers and leaders that I dislike. They are the ones pushing religion and irrationality. I was once a Christian and I know firsthand how much better and happier life can be free of the unearned guilt and fear. I want that for every Human being.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 6 users Like true scotsman's post