What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
(04-02-2016 11:05 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I was once a Christian and I know firsthand how much better and happier life can be free of the unearned guilt and fear. I want that for every Human being.

Careful. Pops will interpret that that your current godless lifestyle makes you unhappy, guilty and fearful. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2016, 11:59 PM
(04-02-2016 11:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:05 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I was once a Christian and I know firsthand how much better and happier life can be free of the unearned guilt and fear. I want that for every Human being.

Careful. Pops will interpret that that your current godless lifestyle makes you unhappy, guilty and fearful. Dodgy

Well I'm happy to correct him if he does. I spent all of my time as a Christian wondering why I didn't get the same wonderful experiences of peach and love and a personal relationship with Jesus that everyone around me claimed to be having. I prayed and prayed and felt that I was not good enough, that something was wrong with me. I finally realized that their wasn't anything wrong with me, it was all an unspeakable fraud. Life has been immeasurably better since that realization and it just keeps getting better.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 7 users Like true scotsman's post
05-02-2016, 12:28 AM
(04-02-2016 11:59 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  Careful. Pops will interpret that that your current godless lifestyle makes you unhappy, guilty and fearful. Dodgy

Well I'm happy to correct him if he does. I spent all of my time as a Christian wondering why I didn't get the same wonderful experiences of peach and love and a personal relationship with Jesus that everyone around me claimed to be having. I prayed and prayed and felt that I was not good enough, that something was wrong with me. I finally realized that their wasn't anything wrong with me, it was all an unspeakable fraud. Life has been immeasurably better since that realization and it just keeps getting better.

Hah. I know that feel. I wuz like "God, you gots to talk to me. Everyone else says they can hear you." Took me a while to figure out they were idiots. Then after I figured it out I had a brain fart and had to figure it out again a few years later. All that goddamn sincerity Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-02-2016, 12:28 AM
(03-02-2016 09:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think experiencing the hate and anti-well... everything... from devout Muslims was my breaking point.

Same with me with xians.

Actually in Australia most people don't give a rat's arse about Jesus. Mainly it's the immigrants who arrived following WWII, Greeks, Italians etc.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-02-2016, 12:51 AM
(04-02-2016 05:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 04:56 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  What?

Why?

I donno. Maybe because you said you" fucked yourself up somehow." So, why not?

Hug
Oh that. Thanks. It's okay though.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
05-02-2016, 02:52 AM
Small bit of background. I'm a preacher's daughter - the 30th anniversary of his death was this week. But gawd works in mysterious ways, right? Anyway, mom remarried, spent my childhood in either a Southern Baptist or United Methodist church every time the doors were open.

Fast forward to May 2014. I had this defining moment of "oh wow. There really is no God." Initially it was a devastating realization. When my husband got home after working a child rape case, I told my him I was an atheist through sobbing tears as I sat on his lap in the kitchen. "Promise me you won't leave me. I love you, I'll always love you." Later that summer he said, "You don't know how to love, what love is, because you don't have the love of God." We are now divorced.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
05-02-2016, 03:12 AM
(05-02-2016 02:52 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Small bit of background. I'm a preacher's daughter - the 30th anniversary of his death was this week. But gawd works in mysterious ways, right? Anyway, mom remarried, spent my childhood in either a Southern Baptist or United Methodist church every time the doors were open.

Fast forward to May 2014. I had this defining moment of "oh wow. There really is no God." Initially it was a devastating realization. When my husband got home after working a child rape case, I told my him I was an atheist through sobbing tears as I sat on his lap in the kitchen. "Promise me you won't leave me. I love you, I'll always love you." Later that summer he said, "You don't know how to love, what love is, because you don't have the love of God." We are now divorced.

Gasp

Wow, I have no words. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
05-02-2016, 06:05 AM
(04-02-2016 11:05 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 06:39 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Sounds like most of you have good reason to dislike "Christians".

It also seems that what y'all describe the as negative acts of said "Christians" are expressly not Christian behaviors.
Definitely helps to shed light on many of your dispositions, and I'm sorry for the things that took place at the hands of those hypocrites.

Hopefully soon Christians will start acting right on a more wide spread level. I'm not immune, nor are any of us, but if one proclaims there own salvation or way of being with there words, and it isn't reflected in their actions, then they aren't being truthful with themselves, and they will be recompensed for their actions. Including me.

I personally have been cast out as an antichrist before, and have witnessed general selfish, elitist mentality from many who would have you think they are rightious in every way. You can always tell ones true colors through observation though.

Eventually we will come together in peace and prosperity.

All of us that can let loose of greed.

I am grateful to be here, that I might learn further of the hypocrisy of those claiming to know the direction of rightiousness.

Peace.

I don't dislike them. I feel compassion for them. I see them as misguided and really as victims. Most of them. It's the preachers and leaders that I dislike. They are the ones pushing religion and irrationality. I was once a Christian and I know firsthand how much better and happier life can be free of the unearned guilt and fear. I want that for every Human being.
Likewise.
05-02-2016, 03:12 PM
I don't think I've written too much about my youngest daughters first boyfriend and his crazy religious parents. She met the boyfriend when they were both 15. She informed me that the parents were, to quote my daughter, "uber religious." I'd never had too much contact with religious people so I didn't know what to expect. I wish someone had given me some forewarning.

The mother in this family was a baby making, god fearing, super soft spoken, spineless jellyfish of a woman who deferred to the husband as the end all, be all of living and one step away from being a god himself. She made me want to throw up.

The father was a cold hearted, spare the rod spoil the child, mean as hell bastard but went around masquerading as a niceity-nice older boy scout type. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

If one of their 6 kids did something bad they were grounded for a month, and entire month!, which meant they couldn't leave their bedroom except to take a 6 minute shower once a day. (they were home schooled most of the time) They had to spend part of each day writing three or four pages from the Bible in long hand. And it had to be super neat and legible.

Another form of punishment was they were locked out of the house (it didn't matter what the weather was) and they weren't allowed back in the house again until they recited some memorized passages from the Bible.

So several things happened. When any of the kids were grounded (they ranged in age from 14 to 24 but only 4 lived at home) they would climb out their bedroom window in the middle of the night, because you see, being a prisoner isn't fun when you're 15, and they would end up on the streets getting into trouble. If they were locked out of the house they simply went over to a friends house or....... ended up wandering the streets getting into trouble. And these fucked up, shitty asshole religious nut case, parents couldn't figure out why their kids were giving them such problems. (When they were little kids the father hit them and locked them in closets. )

So being the unsuspecting, innocent atheist and not knowing any of the details of these wacko parents, my daughter brings home "David" to met me. As I slowly discover the horrors of these religious nuts I finally ended up phoning family services on the parents.....several times. One time when one of the kids was seriously suicidal and texting my daughter about his despair I called the suicide prevention hot line and they sent out the police to get the kid and take him to the hospital. The parents simply prayed for him.

All the kids suffered from severe depression. One of the daughters was close to being a prostitute, the others were heavily into drugs and the more trouble the kids got into the more severe the punishment was from the parents. More prayer, church attendance and the bible was shoved down their throats, more hand written bible passages were required, more grounding. At one point my daughters boyfriend lived in the parent's backyard shed, refusing to recite a bible passage at the door to get into the house. I was beyond angry at these fucked up religious parents. My daughter was being sucked into trying to help the boyfriend's depression and I was caught up trying to find help him and his other siblings. Many sleepless nights ensued.

It all came to a head when the boyfriend started living in an abandoned shack in the middle of an orchard of hazelnut trees to get away from his shitty religious parents. He was 17. My daughter just couldn't help him anymore. She was suffering herself and hardly eating anything. She was a mess.

In the meantime my other daughter who is transgender, was beginning her transition. Those were very stressful times, I'm telling ya.

That whole episode is one of the main reasons I'm here at TTA. I didn't realize what an atheist I was until I came in contact with those fucked up religious assholes and I needed to find a place to vent and feel comfortable and TTA was the place.

So that's my negative experience with Christian fucked up fuckers and I never want to experience anything like that ever, ever again.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-02-2016, 03:15 PM
(04-02-2016 10:04 PM)carol Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 09:35 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I'm sort of a "damn the torpedoes" kind of person, don't know how you keep it in and regulated. Sorry that you feel you have to. Kudos for having the ability to do so. I have a big mouth, being circumspect is not in my mental make-up.

Hug

Thanks for the hug. I am a classic introvert in both the positive and negative attributes. I think long and hard to figure out solutions, and so I do not keep it in and regulated, it is just part of my nature to think first. I would have been cautious regardless of my job. I am also very good at it-reading the behavior and understanding what may work with different kids. It was a trade off, one i was willing to make but perhaps I will no longer be willing to. I also have a good school system, great principal, and a nice group of people to work with. It is only a percentage of people that make it difficult and because I work with so many students it is smart to be careful. I am certainly not circumspect-I take risks often. I am also able to take a classroom of high school students and get their attention, affection and respect-they work very hard in my class. There are different types of strength-my type is kind and quiet, but I get results and respect. I associate circumspect with someone who is too worried to move-I am not at all worried,or shy,,, i made a trade off, that is all. I am tough as nails in my own way. iron fist/velvet glove kinda woman. soft spoken but get results.

Mismatched quote tags.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user