What negative experiences have you had with Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2016, 03:18 PM
RE: What negative experiences have you had with Christians?
(04-02-2016 11:59 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  Careful. Pops will interpret that that your current godless lifestyle makes you unhappy, guilty and fearful. Dodgy

Well I'm happy to correct him if he does. I spent all of my time as a Christian wondering why I didn't get the same wonderful experiences of peach and love and a personal relationship with Jesus that everyone around me claimed to be having. I prayed and prayed and felt that I was not good enough, that something was wrong with me. I finally realized that their wasn't anything wrong with me, it was all an unspeakable fraud. Life has been immeasurably better since that realization and it just keeps getting better.

Nuh-uh, it was because you weren't a True Christian™. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-02-2016, 03:26 PM
(05-02-2016 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nuh-uh, it was because you weren't a True Christian™. Big Grin

Landover reference?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2016, 03:29 PM
(05-02-2016 06:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:05 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I don't dislike them. I feel compassion for them. I see them as misguided and really as victims. Most of them. It's the preachers and leaders that I dislike. They are the ones pushing religion and irrationality. I was once a Christian and I know firsthand how much better and happier life can be free of the unearned guilt and fear. I want that for every Human being.
Likewise.

Kind of curious about why you're giving him a pass for once being a believer, having negative experiences with organized religion, and then deciding to be an atheist after his experiences.

Yet you have been absolutely dismissive of others, including me, who have described similar experiences, saying that they never truly believed, because no one who "truly" believes can ever stop having faith. And, of course, implying that anyone who is an atheist is just an evil/doomed person at heart. Which is it: are you lying here, were you lying then, or do you just have a problem with women who challenge you?
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
05-02-2016, 03:40 PM
(05-02-2016 03:29 PM)julep Wrote:  Yet you have been absolutely dismissive of others, including me, who have described similar experiences, saying that they never truly believed, because no one who "truly" believes can ever stop having faith. And, of course, implying that anyone who is an atheist is just an evil/doomed person at heart. Which is it: are you lying here, were you lying then, or do you just have a problem with women who challenge you?

John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. (WTF???)
John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
05-02-2016, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 05:13 PM by carol.)
(05-02-2016 03:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So that's my negative experience with Christian fucked up fuckers and I never want to experience anything like that ever, ever again.
I have met some great parents and kids in my class, both religious and non religious. We were able to connect and design a program that met their needs, and it is my job to do that, and I enjoyed their children too. That being said, this rant is about the small group of parents who misuse their religion as an excuse to be abusive.

I have had a small percentage of kids in my class raised by fundie religious fucked up fuckers every single year I have taught. I think it may be hard for people who do not have to interact with these religious loonies to understand how they feel justified by their religion to abuse kids and to try to control everything the child is exposed to-the class and lessons, the school activities, the neighborhood, the local government. They use religion as an excuse to be abusive to their children, ( "spare the rod spoil the child" sort of nonsense) and then all of the interventions we set into place to help the child tend to be impacted by the 'religious tolerance" we are supposed to exhibit.
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
05-02-2016, 04:35 PM
(05-02-2016 03:29 PM)julep Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 06:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Likewise.

Kind of curious about why you're giving him a pass for once being a believer, having negative experiences with organized religion, and then deciding to be an atheist after his experiences.

Yet you have been absolutely dismissive of others, including me, who have described similar experiences, saying that they never truly believed, because no one who "truly" believes can ever stop having faith. And, of course, implying that anyone who is an atheist is just an evil/doomed person at heart. Which is it: are you lying here, were you lying then, or do you just have a problem with women who challenge you?
Firstly, gender has nothing to do with anything as far as I'm concerned.

Other than that, I'm only agreeing that many who are supposed to be right are indeed not. That's all. Nothing else.

I feel for anyone who has been dealt with poorly by those who are supposed to know and act a certain way. That's what I was trying to say.

I never said atheists in general where evil. That would be a flawed stereotype, similar to saying all "Christians" are saved or without sin.
05-02-2016, 06:03 PM
(05-02-2016 04:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 03:29 PM)julep Wrote:  Kind of curious about why you're giving him a pass for once being a believer, having negative experiences with organized religion, and then deciding to be an atheist after his experiences.

Firstly, gender has nothing to do with anything as far as I'm concerned.

Other than that, I'm only agreeing that many who are supposed to be right are indeed not. That's all. Nothing else.

I feel for anyone who has been dealt with poorly by those who are supposed to know and act a certain way. That's what I was trying to say.

I never said atheists in general where evil. That would be a flawed stereotype, similar to saying all "Christians" are saved or without sin.

You told me a couple of times that I had never tried hard enough to believe, without giving any regard to what experiences I might have had with regard to Christians or Christianity--and I have seen you say the same to other people--so I find your "sympathy" in this thread hypocritical. You were just as nasty and judgmental as any Christian.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
05-02-2016, 06:24 PM
(05-02-2016 06:03 PM)julep Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 04:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Firstly, gender has nothing to do with anything as far as I'm concerned.

You told me a couple of times that I had never tried hard enough to believe, without giving any regard to what experiences I might have had with regard to Christians or Christianity--and I have seen you say the same to other people--so I find your "sympathy" in this thread hypocritical. You were just as nasty and judgmental as any Christian.
No. Not at all. I never meant or said that your (or anyone else's) current disbelief is due solely to your own effort, or the lack there of, but most likely also referenced faulty man made hypocritical doctrine and hidden personal greed that all can be subject too. I have said over and over that ones disbelief due to ignorance, which is generally caused by faulty doctrine, is not equivalent to damnation, but actually quite contrary to it. Furthermore; I don't generally prescribe to the common concepts of heaven and hell anyway. Sure I've been rude here before. I have actually remarked to one individual that they most likely would be damned to not exist in any form. But the two aren't related, and you're sorta stretching the things I've said into something else to fit into the anti pops mold it seems. And that's fine too. I probably have offended you some how. My presence here may offend you, I don't know.

You are reaching a little though, as noted previously in your remark about gender or sex.

I don't even know that I've ever viewed your profile to know what gender you are. Name sounds kinda feminine. If I was more harsh on any it would be a male, no doubt.

Anyway, no double standard. Different ops, different scenarios. And no my sentiments or empathy towards those who have been hurt, by anyone, are genuine, and it sucks that Christians, are very contrary to the writings of Christianity.
05-02-2016, 06:29 PM
(04-02-2016 06:39 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Eventually we will come together in peace and prosperity.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-02-2016, 06:58 PM
(05-02-2016 03:45 PM)carol Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 03:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So that's my negative experience with Christian fucked up fuckers and I never want to experience anything like that ever, ever again.
I have met some great parents and kids in my class, both religious and non religious. We were able to connect and design a program that met their needs, and it is my job to do that, and I enjoyed their children too. That being said, this rant is about the small group of parents who misuse their religion as an excuse to be abusive.

I have had a small percentage of kids in my class raised by fundie religious fucked up fuckers every single year I have taught. I think it may be hard for people who do not have to interact with these religious loonies to understand how they feel justified by their religion to abuse kids and to try to control everything the child is exposed to-the class and lessons, the school activities, the neighborhood, the local government. They use religion as an excuse to be abusive to their children, ( "spare the rod spoil the child" sort of nonsense) and then all of the interventions we set into place to help the child tend to be impacted by the 'religious tolerance" we are supposed to exhibit.

When I reported the abuses of my daughters boyfriend to the authorities I was able to phone it in anonymously. The guy who took my call sort of indicated that the religious cases he handled were some of the worst and psychological damage to children raised in these kinds of houses were long term.

There were six kids in that family and every one of them were messed up psychologically and socially. If he could get away with it the boyfriend would spend most of the day over at our house to get away from his parents. He was amazed at how easy it was to be a human being in our house without the threat of hell hanging over his head all the time. But mental damage had already been inflicted on this young man. He hardly spoke. He had a hard time laughing and was depressed most of the time. I did everything I could to help him but my daughter was being pulled into his dark moods and suffering along with him so I felt I needed to protect her as well. It was an insane time. Self preservation finally took over and my daughter finally realized she needed to get away from him.

Fucking religion.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post