What nonsense claims did you used to believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2017, 11:21 PM
RE: What nonsense claims did you used to believe?
I can't actually remember whether I believed in Santa Claus or not. It was the only untrue/superstitious thing my parents ever presented to me. No wait, the tooth fairy too. Did I believe in that? I can't remember either.

I think it's interesting to discuss the morality of presenting these ideas as facts to children, even though you later plan to tell them otherwise. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2017, 04:29 AM
(15-07-2017 11:21 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I can't actually remember whether I believed in Santa Claus or not. It was the only untrue/superstitious thing my parents ever presented to me. No wait, the tooth fairy too. Did I believe in that? I can't remember either.

I think it's interesting to discuss the morality of presenting these ideas as facts to children, even though you later plan to tell them otherwise. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

I wouldn't feel comfortable either. However, my wife and I never had kids anyway.

My parents didn't lie to me and my sisters about Santa Claus. I also remember how disappointed the nextdoor neighbors kids said they were when they found out their parents had misled them.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
16-07-2017, 05:09 AM
I've heard a lot of people try to defend it, but I think they're rationalizing the fact that they just want to do it (or feel peer pressure to do so). I don't think it's really a good thing to do.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
16-07-2017, 11:07 AM
(15-07-2017 10:11 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 04:53 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I used to believe in von Daniken's rubbish. I was only 15 at the time.

I'm not sure about Santa Claus. I'm pretty sure he's legit.

> I used to believe that Von Däniken's stuff was legitimate too, until I saw the NOVA documentary The Case of the Ancient Astronauts. It blew his pseudoscience right out of the water. That was way back in the mid-1970's.
My dad was really convinced by Von Daniken, but I always thought it didn't make much sense.

I did however believe that "The Bermuda Triangle" was a real thing, 'til I read some really good articles about it.

And I was sure that "Atlantis" was a real sunken city somewhere in the Atlantic ocean.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
16-07-2017, 12:53 PM
When I was about ten, my dad got into a lot on anti-freemason woo. It kind of made sense at the time.

As I grew a little older and met a few masons, I realized that dad was nuts.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
16-07-2017, 01:01 PM
(16-07-2017 11:07 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 10:11 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I used to believe that Von Däniken's stuff was legitimate too, until I saw the NOVA documentary The Case of the Ancient Astronauts. It blew his pseudoscience right out of the water. That was way back in the mid-1970's.
My dad was really convinced by Von Daniken, but I always thought it didn't make much sense.

I did however believe that "The Bermuda Triangle" was a real thing, 'til I read some really good articles about it.

And I was sure that "Atlantis" was a real sunken city somewhere in the Atlantic ocean.

I did a lot of reading about Atlantis when I was a teen...I think I really, really wanted to believe it was real. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-07-2017, 02:34 PM
I used to believe that humans were sentient.

Now I realise, it's just me.

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
16-07-2017, 03:40 PM
(16-07-2017 02:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I used to believe that humans were sentient.

Now I realise, it's just me.

Yes

Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-07-2017, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 04:07 PM by dancefortwo.)
In high school I used to believe in reincarnation.... and wouldn't you know, I was a princess in a previous life. If I was going to believe in reincarnation I sure as hell wasn't going to be a peasant.

Now I just believe in carnations. Tongue

[Image: Red_Mini_Carnation_Flower_300.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-07-2017, 03:55 PM
(16-07-2017 03:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  In high school I used to believe in reincarnation.... and wouldn't you know, I was a princess in a previous life. If I was going to believe in reincarnation I shure as hell wasn't going to be a peasant.

Now I just believe in carnations. Tongue

[Image: Red_Mini_Carnation_Flower_300.jpg]
I went through a phase where I read a lot about reincarnation and really wanted to believe it...yeah, it didn't take either.