What nonsense claims did you used to believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2017, 03:57 PM
RE: What nonsense claims did you used to believe?
Heat Lightning...... look it up, heat lightning isn't real. It's just regular lightning so far away you can't hear the thunder.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
16-07-2017, 05:05 PM
(16-07-2017 02:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I used to believe that humans were sentient.

Now I realise, it's just me.

Yes

My dad used to say, "Everyone's nuts but me and you, and sometimes I worry about you."

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
16-07-2017, 05:43 PM
(16-07-2017 05:05 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 02:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I used to believe that humans were sentient.

Now I realise, it's just me.

Yes

My dad used to say, "Everyone's nuts but me and you, and sometimes I worry about you."

Hobo

Methinks he lied... parents rarely stop worrying about their children. Big Grin

But your dad and I may be on the same page.

While thinking about the "it's wrong to objectify women" kinda thing, I realised that objectifying is the norm and it's actually uncommon to subjectify.

Or to put it another way, we extend the theory of mind (ToM) to ourselves and to a very small number of others (relatively speaking) ... and even then we'll be mainly inaccurate about, or have an incomplete model of, what they are thinking and feeling (and believing and desiring).

So, I have sentience and I project my capability/maturity model of sentience onto others to a greater or lesser degree of integrity depending on how much empathy I feel for them (which for most individuals on the planet is very little, if any).

The corollary, therefore, is that to nearly 100% of humans I don't exist and to the remaining fraction I am an object observed through their sentient lens.

Which is nice.

Confused

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-07-2017, 06:21 PM
(16-07-2017 05:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The corollary, therefore, is that to nearly 100% of humans I don't exist and to the remaining fraction I am an object observed through their sentient lens.

Yeah, others focus on us much less than we think, which means most of our self-consciousness is to no real purpose.

For instance, my cat is only nice to me when she wants to be fed, but I've gotten over thinking it was because of something I did wrong.

Undecided
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
16-07-2017, 06:40 PM
(16-07-2017 03:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  In high school I used to believe in reincarnation.... and wouldn't you know, I was a princess in a previous life. If I was going to believe in reincarnation I sure as hell wasn't going to be a peasant.

Now I just believe in carnations. Tongue

[Image: Red_Mini_Carnation_Flower_300.jpg]

Did you ever get a past-life reading? 'cause I did, multiple times in fact!
[+] 1 user Likes RedgraveStorm's post
17-07-2017, 04:20 AM
(16-07-2017 06:40 PM)RedgraveStorm Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 03:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  In high school I used to believe in reincarnation.... and wouldn't you know, I was a princess in a previous life. If I was going to believe in reincarnation I sure as hell wasn't going to be a peasant.

Now I just believe in carnations. Tongue

[Image: Red_Mini_Carnation_Flower_300.jpg]

Did you ever get a past-life reading? 'cause I did, multiple times in fact!
Maybe one for another topic, but a friend of mine once dated a girl who believed in past lives. He thought nothing of it and let her do whatever made her happy. Few months later she finds a group locally that is to do with people meeting up to talk about their past lives. "great stuff",he thinks ,"a nice social activity for you and you'll meet new people". As you can probably already guess it went south rather quickly.

The leader of the group manged to convince this girl that in a past life, she was in fact her mother, and that one of the young men who also attended the group was [in a past life] her husband. She of course took it as truth, split up with my friend saying "I'm supposed to be with X, he's my soul mate", leaving my friend completely dumbfounded in the process.

So yeah, some people are so stupid is hurts.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
17-07-2017, 04:30 AM
Alien abductions, UFO's, Area 51, all that bullshit.

[Image: 77ea4db15e8f9a9762140ec7042696f056abe142...eb0541.jpg]

Now, Ancient Aliens induces near uncontrollable laughter.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-07-2017, 02:22 PM
(15-07-2017 02:52 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I used to believe Americans would never vote a dumbass in as president.

I'd seen it happen too many times to be that optimistic.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
17-07-2017, 02:28 PM
I used to want to believe in all of the ESP and paranormal stuff -- telepathy, telekinesis, precognition, auras, the lot. So I started studying it, systematically and scientifically. The more I learned, the less was there to see.

But it wasn't a total loss; I gained invaluable insight into conmen and the psychology of woo-wooism. And a large appreciation for legerdemain. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
17-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Marxism...enough said I would say.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post