What nonsense claims did you used to believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2017, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2017 10:32 PM by sea_tiger.)
RE: What nonsense claims did you used to believe?
(18-07-2017 08:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  One time when I was in high school I was mentally undressing the girl in the desk in front of me and she turned around and gave me a dirty look, leading me to entertain the thought that maybe she could somehow read my thoughts.

This happened to me in my teenage years.During a Sunday mass when I was looking at a big cross behind the priest , an image of Jesus with no clothes popped up in my mind[Jesus hanging without the waist cloth with *that* part visible].I mentally asked God to forgive me and help me get rid of that image from my mind but that image was stuck in my mind for a long time.I didn't dare to go to confessional and say that I stripped Jesus.I thought that I was guaranteed to end up in hell after that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like sea_tiger's post
20-07-2017, 01:47 PM
(15-07-2017 11:21 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I can't actually remember whether I believed in Santa Claus or not. It was the only untrue/superstitious thing my parents ever presented to me. No wait, the tooth fairy too. Did I believe in that? I can't remember either.

I think it's interesting to discuss the morality of presenting these ideas as facts to children, even though you later plan to tell them otherwise. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

When my wife and I became parents we swore to ourselves to never do that to our children. We might deprive them of some very early childhood happy hours, but we both vividly remember our own anger, disappointment and shaken trust in our own parents.

What I used to believe?
That people are good by nature and bad behaviour is learned.... and I used to believe in the system.

When it comes to superstitious stuff the usual suspects come up; tarot, ghosts, karma.....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Ron NL-S's post
20-07-2017, 02:19 PM
I used to believe in Karma. But if it does exist then it takes way too fucking long.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
20-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Actually, karma is a vile, vile idea. We deserve to suffer because we did something bad in a past life or whatever? Screw this. I will never tire of saying - the only universe I can accept without curling up in a ball and shaking uncontrollably, is a random, indifferent one. Everything else is too unbelievably cruel and monstrous to even contemplate.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
20-07-2017, 03:43 PM
I meant more like instant karma. Not the genuine Hindu/Buddhist type.

Example of when instant karma actually DID work recently:

I'm pulling into the grocery store parking lot on a day when my arthritis is particularly painful. I am literally turning the wheel to park in a space that's only a couple of spaces from the door (not handicapped mind you, just close to the door) and some young-ish prick cuts me off and darts his car in front of mine and steals my parking space. On reflex I beep the horn at him. I mean this POS came within a very few inches of hitting my car to cut me off. This ass-wipe then rolls down his window to shoot me the bird. I park several spaces further away and am very aware when he sprints from his car to the door of the store. I limp my way in, buy my groceries and by the time I head back to the parking lot it has started pouring down rain. And there he is, with his window stuck in the down position, his hood up and he is getting soaked to the bone trying to get his car to start. I head to the drugstore at the other end of the parking lot where there is a long line. So a good fifteen minutes or so later I can't resist checking and yep, there he is, still trying to start his car.

That kind of Karma. But that's the first time in years I've seen it work that way. The rest of the time the shittiest people who have deserved to have to lick the shitty karma spoon have always seemed to prosper from being dicks and bitches.

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
20-07-2017, 09:50 PM
I remember in high school- probably a soph or junior so I really should have known better- getting really into Nostrodamus. A friend and I just started obsessing about it to the point we would talk about future plans based on his predictions. Probably we just enjoyed fantasizing about becoming survivalists with bunkers in the woods (some of the predictions, as translated by others, pointed to upcoming world calamities). But I remember believing it. Don't remember exactly when or how I then became a Nostradomatheist, I guess it just faded when other interests came up.

20-07-2017, 09:58 PM
(20-07-2017 02:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  Actually, karma is a vile, vile idea. We deserve to suffer because we did something bad in a past life or whatever?

Something weird about it is that, if it were true and known to be true, it would only work if you had some memory or conception of your past self. Let's say you knew reincarnation were true. But the "old" you has no knowledge of you and you have no knowledge of "old you"...I bet a lot of people wouldn't change their behavior. Jerks would still be jerks, why not, I don't give a damn about unknowable "future me."

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
20-07-2017, 10:19 PM
(20-07-2017 09:58 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Something weird about it is that, if it were true and known to be true, it would only work if you had some memory or conception of your past self.

Yeah, don't even get me started on *that* illogical, idiotic part of it all Censored

(I might be especially touchy on this subject 'cause for a while I had to listen how children with cancer/raped women/people with serious, debilitating diseases etc apparently did something to deserve (person went so far as to say they fucking CHOSE) it. The ease with which we wave away the suffering of others is staggering.

21-07-2017, 09:35 AM
I get it, Vera. Yeah not long since the last time I heard some POS claiming the five year old girl "wanted" him to have sex with her.

21-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Oh, that wasn't aimed at you, outofthereligioncloset. And I know what you meant, karma more in the sense of wishing there was some sort of justice in the universe. I'm just especially short-fused about karma in the other sense these days Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post