What nonsense claims did you used to believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2017, 09:19 AM
RE: What nonsense claims did you used to believe?
(21-07-2017 09:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  Oh, that wasn't aimed at you, outofthereligioncloset. And I know what you meant, karma more in the sense of wishing there was some sort of justice in the universe. I'm just especially short-fused about karma in the other sense these days Rolleyes

I didn't take it as aimed at me or anyone in particular. I probably even should have used the term "instant justice" anyway. It's more accurate in my context.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2017, 11:36 AM
When I was in third grade (Mt. Carmel School, 1956) a nun told the class that the world would end in our lifetimes (the year 2000). That gave me a lot of sleepless nights over the next few years until I decided she was nothing but a kook. Facepalm
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
22-07-2017, 10:59 PM
(21-07-2017 09:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  Oh, that wasn't aimed at you, outofthereligioncloset. And I know what you meant, karma more in the sense of wishing there was some sort of justice in the universe. I'm just especially short-fused about karma in the other sense these days Rolleyes

I've talked with someone before who felt that they couldn't handle reality unless there was this kind of karma. I really could not understand, now matter how much they explained. They were just so annoyed at the thought of people "getting away with things" that they'd find it somehow satisfying to see some innocent new creation cop the flak.

I always ask, in what way is this new person "you"? Except for karma labeling it as you, it has no connection to you whatsoever. I guess such people would say it has your soul or whatever, but that just seems like another reference number since it will still not cause anything tangible to actually carry over.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
23-07-2017, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017 08:43 AM by Vera.)
Absolutely, Rob! And while I get the desire for some sort of justice (though *not* the ability to actually believe it exists, when faced with such an obviously random and unjust (from our tiny, ant-like perspective) world), I cannot wrap my brain around using it to excuse all the suffering... and, almost exclusively - that of others.

Because, frankly, in my experience at least, those who actually believe in this vileness, usually come from a position of contentedness and moral superiority and not the desire for justice. "I have it good, so I musta done something to deserve it", think they smugly, even if not put quite this way.

And just because *you* have experienced, let's say an unpleasant divorce and maybe learnt something in the process, in no way, shape or form, is it comparable with the woman, gangraped by soldiers and discarded like a piece of torn, bleeding cloth by the road. No, she is not going to learn anything from that and no, she did not choose it, nor does she deserve it and even suggesting it is a staggering lack of empathy and cruelty...

Just because *you* came out the other side of your own little bit of trouble, doesn't mean all people can. Or that there even *is* an other side for many of them...

I had a portuguese teacher (lived in her house for a month) who pretty much claimed that all bad things in life are due to lack of positive thinking. Because she was sucking her American ex-husband dry with alimony... while her lovely cousin had to take care of her sister with Down's syndrome. Apparently, according to my teacher, they both deserved it Censored

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
23-07-2017, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017 09:33 AM by M. Linoge.)
(18-07-2017 08:26 AM)Emma Wrote:  That's a really good list. Sadly, that feeling of a "presence" in the room didn't leave me for quite a lot longer.

My sympathies. A sibling of mine struggled with feeling haunted into her early teens.

Quote: Anyway- I used to believe in speaking in tongues. I used to believe in demonic possession. I used to believe in ghosts. I used to believe in aliens abducting people. I used to believe in prayer. I used to believe in God. I used to believe that I had a relationship with that god where he would be in my mind talking to me and listening to my thoughts. Now I realize that I just have a constant internal dialogue with myself. I used to believe that worshiping God brought me closer to him and that the emotions of peacefulness that I felt were from that god's spirit inside me. Now I realize that I was experiencing an emotional euphoria was simply a neurological response to being in a meditative state.

Sounds like a risky mental exercise me and a few classmates stumbled upon.
One of my early teachers took it upon himself to show us - with demonstrations as well as examples from society - how perception can be manipulated and how emotions can overrule logical thinking.

Ironically, thanks to those warnings we found a way to induce a state of bliss through simple visualisation. It felt amazing. We didn't care that long-term practice temporarily turned our brains to mush.
Like anyone with an unlimited supply of something pleasant that feels better and better the longer it goes on, I wondered how far I could take it. So one summer I cleared my schedule and prepared for a few day of indolence in solitude.
After eight hours my mouth was forming nonsense words while I rocked back and forth in ecstasy. Coming up on thirteen I could feel the secrets of the universe reveal themselves to me; I had transcended my mortal shell, peeking into other dimensions. In the midst of these many profound insights, it occurred to me that I might have had one too many and quit the exercise.
Sleep and food quickly restored me to.... well, not normal, just average me.

In the light of that day, I sympathised with the prophets whom allegedly wandered into the desert for 40 days of "communing with the lord". If they were doing what I did - me being a pragmatic, atheist, skeptic - they didn't stand a chance.

Anyway, without Teach to warn me about how this works, I don't know what I would have believed.
Chemicals, friends and neighbours, even natural ones, will flock you up if you let them.
23-07-2017, 01:07 PM
I pretty much believed everything my church told me about a powerful being living in the clouds who loves us all *if only you submit* ...and if you do what he says, he'll grant you wishes. It is so bizarre to me looking back now as an atheist that I believed all of this shit-especially when I was so skeptical and clear thinking about everything else.

I also used to *hope* that Bigfoot really existed. Years ago, as a teenager, one of my friends and I wanted to go exploring in one of the areas that was supposed to be a hot bed of sightings. Now as an adult, while I know his existence is a No, I still would go exploring in one of the "Bigfoot" territories just for fun and for shits and giggles. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-09-2017, 08:01 AM
I used to love cars and thought they got better every year and looked forward to new cars models. Every September, go back to school, new TV shows and NEW CARS.

It is almost half-a-century since the Moon landing. How much does it cost us for them to keep redesigning this junk? Why do we care? Even if they come up with better electronics why redesign the body and change the shape of the tail lights?

Ford kept making the same car from 1908 to the 1920s. The price went down from $850 to $300. Suppose they designed a truly excellent set of car bodies by 1980 and then kept making the same ones since then? What would they cost by not and haven't we had better stuff to spend money on?

How much have American consumers lost on the depreciation of cars every year since the Moon landing?

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Fiziks has been History
06-09-2017, 01:01 PM
I used to believe that if you interpreted "day" to mean "age" (or some vague unit of time), that the creation myth(s) in Genesis was totally compatible with science.
06-09-2017, 01:41 PM
(06-09-2017 01:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I used to believe that if you interpreted "day" to mean "age" (or some vague unit of time), that the creation myth(s) in Genesis was totally compatible with science.
I thought as a 6th grader reading the begot section of ages like of Noah that if you instead of 900 years meant like months or Moon phases instead if years their ages made sense.

Obviously reading it as is, it felt clearly a crock of shit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-09-2017, 02:16 PM
(06-09-2017 01:41 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I thought as a 6th grader reading the begot section of ages like of Noah that if you instead of 900 years meant like months or Moon phases instead if years their ages made sense.

I remember doing that same conversion, as well.

Other things I remember believing:
  • Physical evidence of the ark had been found near Mount Ararat.
  • Astronomy shows a "lost day" which coincides with two specific events from the Bible, and NASA has confirmed these findings.
  • The Shroud of Turin was legit and meant anything at all.
  • Blood from the Shroud of Turin had been analyzed and it only had an X chromosome! (and this wasn't somehow indicative of Jesus having Turner syndrome).
  • Circumcision is done for legit health reasons.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post