What nonsense claims did you used to believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 04:10 PM
RE: What nonsense claims did you used to believe?
I used to believe that if I picked my nose everyday my head would cave in... Thank's for that dad.

Get your own bleeding hymn book
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thedemonbarber's post
06-09-2017, 04:20 PM
(15-07-2017 01:32 PM)RedgraveStorm Wrote:  Greetings,

I think it's fair to say that in our lives we've all believed something nonsensical. Not just religious claims, but the kind of stories that the History Channel seems to makes a living off of now. I'm talking about cryptids, alien abduction stories, ghosts, demonic possession, extinct animals living in far-off countries, psychics, and tarot readings. The X-Files essentially.

Personally, I used to eat up e anything about cryptids. Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Mothman, Mokele-Mbembe, chupacabra, and all those fantastical beasts. I shall admit, albeit with much shame, that I only stopped believing in these beasts around four or five years ago. But if I am to be shamed, I shan't do it alone. So come all ye faithless, come and speak of your own credulity.

I used to think my mother could read my mind before I started attending school. Other than that just the idea of an afterlife and a cosmic mind reader.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
06-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Hard work pays off
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
06-09-2017, 08:07 PM
I was a Christian at one time, so there's that.

Then after I abandoned that faith, I believed not just in psychic powers, but I believed I had them, mainly psychokinesis.

I was desperate -- sue me.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-09-2017, 08:21 PM
I used to believe in snipe hunting. The older men in my family built it up starting young and treated it very seriously in front of me. Until the day if the hunt, I was sure they existed and that I would catch one.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 2 users Like reeveseb's post
06-09-2017, 09:13 PM
I thought Nostrodamus and his predictions were the stone cold real deal.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
07-09-2017, 06:32 AM
I had a friend who was certain the world was going to end during Woodstock 99 with India and Pakistan nuke attacks because it was all clearly there in Nostrodamus.

I'm so glad I don't see the era of that around anynore, even used to be a frequent history channel topic but I guess aliens is the cool thing now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
07-09-2017, 06:43 AM
Nothing concrete but I did develop a bit of an obsession with certain song lyrics.
Not a healthy thing.
It's easy to personalize vague impressionistic verse.
Once you start it's like staring at the sun.
You gotta just look away.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
07-09-2017, 06:51 AM
(06-09-2017 08:21 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  I used to believe in snipe hunting. The older men in my family built it up starting young and treated it very seriously in front of me. Until the day if the hunt, I was sure they existed and that I would catch one.

> When I was on summer vacation, having just completed 5th grade (1958), some older boys who lived nearby tried to enlist me in a snipe hunt in the nearby woods. Being a student of nature and not understanding the joke, I thought the "snipe" they were referring to was the American Woodcock. I simply told them that the popular game bird was not in season at the time and we'd get into trouble with the Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife if we got caught with the birds in our possession. It took the wind out of their sails and they went off to play the joke on some of the other boys in the neighborhood. Nearly a year passed before one of them finally told me that the whole thing was really a prank. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
07-09-2017, 07:53 AM
(06-09-2017 04:10 PM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  I used to believe that if I picked my nose everyday my head would cave in... Thank's for that dad.

Ha! Speaking of crap my dad said that I believed: for a while, he had me convinced that you split atoms with a diamond chisel. Makes enough sense; diamond is super hard.