What nonsense claims did you used to believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2017, 10:33 PM
RE: What nonsense claims did you used to believe?
(15-07-2017 01:32 PM)RedgraveStorm Wrote:  Greetings,

I think it's fair to say that in our lives we've all believed something nonsensical. Not just religious claims, but the kind of stories that the History Channel seems to makes a living off of now. I'm talking about cryptids, alien abduction stories, ghosts, demonic possession, extinct animals living in far-off countries, psychics, and tarot readings. The X-Files essentially.

Personally, I used to eat up e anything about cryptids. Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Mothman, Mokele-Mbembe, chupacabra, and all those fantastical beasts. I shall admit, albeit with much shame, that I only stopped believing in these beasts around four or five years ago. But if I am to be shamed, I shan't do it alone. So come all ye faithless, come and speak of your own credulity.

As I am sure many on the forum will appreciate, when I say it, the fact that I am rather slow on the uptake has meant that I haven't "believed" in anything in the way you suggest most people have.

For me, someone might have said there was something called "Bigfoot". Initially, because of my "slowness", I would probably not have even absorbed what they were saying. My brain would have then slightly woken up and I would think "come again, what's that, a big hairy beast living in the Rocky Mountains, not near any shops or source of food, no parents, no house...hmmm?" My initial take on most of this is disbelief rather than acceptance.

Is it the case that as children a lot of people, when told that reindeers can fly and a fat man can deliver presents to every child on earth in one night, accept this straight off? How does that work? What's the mechanism that has you believeing something utterly stupid first and then coming to the conclusion it's wildly fantastical after several years of unquestioning acceptance? Call me slow but I don't get the process of gullible acceptance. And, how long does it take to lose one's gullibility?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
30-09-2017, 04:06 AM
RE: What nonsense claims did you used to believe?
I used to think that there was something to that 'states rights' version of the Civil War.

What a fucking load of toxic, manipulative, willfully ignorant bullshit that was.

Also, UFO's and the idea of being abducted used to bother me. Funny how everyone having cellphone cameras and there not being a massive up-swell in photographic evidence of these happenings kinda puts a damper on things.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply