What other classes should I take for College?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 05:51 PM
What other classes should I take for College?
Need some general advice on what you would do?

I think I have pretty much given up trying to go for a degree. I might try to tackle the fundamentals of Algebra I. But I barely passed Pre Algebra and I am stuck with day time full work hours at my job, so many of the classes I cannot take. My Major thus far is Website Design, but that requires Algebra II lol.

Pretty much ever course is not available for Weekends or night time. I am very limited on what I can take so Basically I am just going to try to fill as much of the void as I can with what is offered during night time. Mostly Reading, writing and math classes. I seen some science classes and a bunch of others.

I have taken a lot of writing classes so far and plan on trying to take all of them. Even though I would love to take Creative Writing 1-4, they are so far from what I can tell. Day time only. I just finished up expository writing after taking intro to paragraphs and essays. I want to take speed reading if they ever offer it up for night time classes again.

I am doing English composition I and plan on doing II next. I want to write something for a book sometime. Maybe something on secular morality and the like once I have a much deeper understanding of logic, morality, history and other subjects to make for a more engaging read.

What kind of subjects would you guys fill a void with if you were not going for anything in particular?

So far I see for next term, I got some business ethics class, I could probably wait for other business like classes to come up as that might come in handy sometime.
I think they have a distance online class for religion and ecology...whatever that is.
I could possibly take something in philosophy or World Literature. I also have some other options like psychology.

So, I dunno. What do you guys think? What should I take if I just want to improve my mind, debating skills, writing, and just overall improve myself as an intellectual?
Because I really like the idea of doing that, rather than striving harder to take classes during the day while having to move back in with my dad and desperately search for a night time job so I can get some degree I may not be able to have due to math or whatever in 2-4 years. Keep in mind I am 29 now so...yeah. 4-10 years of school is a big deal for me lol. I would rather not have to do that.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 08:22 PM
RE: What other classes should I take for College?
(27-08-2014 05:51 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Need some general advice on what you would do?

I think I have pretty much given up trying to go for a degree. I might try to tackle the fundamentals of Algebra I. But I barely passed Pre Algebra and I am stuck with day time full work hours at my job, so many of the classes I cannot take. My Major thus far is Website Design, but that requires Algebra II lol.

Pretty much ever course is not available for Weekends or night time. I am very limited on what I can take so Basically I am just going to try to fill as much of the void as I can with what is offered during night time. Mostly Reading, writing and math classes. I seen some science classes and a bunch of others.

I have taken a lot of writing classes so far and plan on trying to take all of them. Even though I would love to take Creative Writing 1-4, they are so far from what I can tell. Day time only. I just finished up expository writing after taking intro to paragraphs and essays. I want to take speed reading if they ever offer it up for night time classes again.

I am doing English composition I and plan on doing II next. I want to write something for a book sometime. Maybe something on secular morality and the like once I have a much deeper understanding of logic, morality, history and other subjects to make for a more engaging read.

What kind of subjects would you guys fill a void with if you were not going for anything in particular?

So far I see for next term, I got some business ethics class, I could probably wait for other business like classes to come up as that might come in handy sometime.
I think they have a distance online class for religion and ecology...whatever that is.
I could possibly take something in philosophy or World Literature. I also have some other options like psychology.

So, I dunno. What do you guys think? What should I take if I just want to improve my mind, debating skills, writing, and just overall improve myself as an intellectual?
Because I really like the idea of doing that, rather than striving harder to take classes during the day while having to move back in with my dad and desperately search for a night time job so I can get some degree I may not be able to have due to math or whatever in 2-4 years. Keep in mind I am 29 now so...yeah. 4-10 years of school is a big deal for me lol. I would rather not have to do that.

As a good friend and counselor once said,
"The 4 - 10 years are going to pass regardless. You can either have a degree then or not. Your choice."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-08-2014, 07:09 AM
I'd be glad to help you with Algebra.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
28-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Well, my though is if you are not going to pursue a degree than save your money and time. Do no take any more classes at the college. Read book to increase you knowledge. If you want a degree so not worry about how long it will take. Like Chas said the years are going to pass one way or the other.
28-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Some subjects that help refine one's thought-process:
1) Statistics
2) Political Science/Philosophy/History
3) World Philosophy

No point taking social science unless it's nested under biology (like in Systems Science) — you'll be treated to a lot of rubbish stemming from the standard model of social science.

Feminism is the New Creationism: http://www.sciencevsfeminism.com
28-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Stats is a good one (everything uses stats from science to politics).

So no matter what you major in or end up moving towards degree-wise, stats is not a bad idea. Beyond that, I'd set some sort of boundaries and guidelines instead of just taking any old class with no goal in mind. If you do that, you may eventually have enough of some credits to get a degree, but without some sort of focused direction that degree may not mean much.

I'd advise you go talk to one of the counselors and/or academic advisors at your school. A lot of times you will find that night classes are still available for courses you want, but they may be offered less frequently. As for algebra 2 or any other math (or math-intensive class), seek out the same class (or equivalent) at a community college (which often have much more flexible schedules) and transfer the credits. As long as you do this early enough in your college career, it won't make any difference (some schools require all of your last 4 semesters worth of classes be at the institution you graduate from. IE, I could not take 95% of my coursework at a community college and then go to Harvard for one class to get a degree from Harvard).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
28-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Theology? Or maybe a a degree in Harry Potter, just as useful.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
29-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Shadow Fox,

I was 26 when I started College and I had a mortgage, two car payments, a baby and other debt. My wife worked full time and I worked part time. I got my degree in 4.5 years and had another kid my sophomore year. we sold the house while I was in school but that did not really help much.

If you want to get a degree then prioritize and do what you need to do. One thing I learned is to choose a degree that will let you live where you want to live, will keep your interest for a long time, and will meet your financial goals and life goals. I chose geology thinking I would enjoy being outdoors but did not research weather it would keep me in the state I wanted to live. It did not. I now live in a state I do not like at all so job satisfaction is low. It pays very well but money is not everything.

Taking a geology class would help in theology arguments with young earthers. If your school has it take Earth History. usually GEO 201 or something like that.

I wish you luck and but you need to make a few sacrifices to achieve a degree.
29-08-2014, 10:34 PM
(29-08-2014 09:51 AM)SkepticGeologist Wrote:  Shadow Fox,

I was 26 when I started College and I had a mortgage, two car payments, a baby and other debt. My wife worked full time and I worked part time. I got my degree in 4.5 years and had another kid my sophomore year. we sold the house while I was in school but that did not really help much.

If you want to get a degree then prioritize and do what you need to do. One thing I learned is to choose a degree that will let you live where you want to live, will keep your interest for a long time, and will meet your financial goals and life goals. I chose geology thinking I would enjoy being outdoors but did not research weather it would keep me in the state I wanted to live. It did not. I now live in a state I do not like at all so job satisfaction is low. It pays very well but money is not everything.

Taking a geology class would help in theology arguments with young earthers. If your school has it take Earth History. usually GEO 201 or something like that.

The problem is, It took me until last year to finally be able to move out on my own. I am 29 now, I would pretty much have to somehow find a full time night time job that will keep me secure or quite my job and move back into my dads house. That is an absolute no, because I fucking love it on my own and I will never give that up again. Especially since I have pretty much fallen in love with this house and the fact that it is a 3 minute drive to work,kfc,walmart,winco,Pizza,chinese,the freeway to go places, subway, gas station, the mall, restaurants, my bank and a lot more.

Where I used to live before was at least a 5 minute drive to a couple of those things and a 20 minute drive to work and everything else and if there was any traffic it was a 40 minute drive.

I live in a sweet spot like no freaking other and I gotta either give up a job that took me 5 years to find from being unemployed for so damn long and move back into my parents, or move to night shift and risk not having a job for 4 months out of the year from nightshift downtime. It would make my life rotten and unsatisfying.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-08-2014, 11:31 PM
(29-08-2014 10:34 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 09:51 AM)SkepticGeologist Wrote:  Shadow Fox,

The problem is, It took me until last year to finally be able to move out on my own. I am 29 now, I would pretty much have to somehow find a full time night time job that will keep me secure or quite my job and move back into my dads house. That is an absolute no, because I fucking love it on my own and I will never give that up again. Especially since I have pretty much fallen in love with this house and the fact that it is a 3 minute drive to work,kfc,walmart,winco,Pizza,chinese,the freeway to go places, subway, gas station, the mall, restaurants, my bank and a lot more.

Where I used to live before was at least a 5 minute drive to a couple of those things and a 20 minute drive to work and everything else and if there was any traffic it was a 40 minute drive.

I live in a sweet spot like no freaking other and I gotta either give up a job that took me 5 years to find from being unemployed for so damn long and move back into my parents, or move to night shift and risk not having a job for 4 months out of the year from nightshift downtime. It would make my life rotten and unsatisfying.

Is it possible to sign up or take online classes? Especially for the more gen-ed stuff, I took a few math and English classes online back when I was at the Art Institute, and this was back in 04'~08'.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]