What place comes closest to Utopia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2014, 12:27 PM
RE: What place comes closest to Utopia?
(26-03-2014 10:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 08:43 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I know Scandinavian countries usually top these lists--do they have a downside?

I'm not sure what their rules on citizenship are, and I'm not sure how much you get to enjoy the utopia until you are a citizen.

If you have a job and a brain (meaning not buy a fucking yacht for the lawls like some of us do) in Norway, you'll do fine. Guaranteed healthcare is nice, and the obnoxiously high prices (Norway has the most expensive Big Mac in the world) are compensated by our high payrates. Just remember, "Utopia Norwegia" only lasts as long as there is enough oil...

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2014, 12:35 PM
(26-03-2014 11:07 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 08:43 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  a comfortable climate (60-85 F) would be near the top of the 'bonus' list.

Dodgy

That's not comfortable, that's Satan's armpit.

Are you crazy? Anything below 60 is unbearable. Let's boost 85 up to 95 and I am the happiest person on the planet.

sunny sunny warmy warmy happy happy tank tops Shy
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
26-03-2014, 12:41 PM
(26-03-2014 08:43 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Hobbit's post on another thread reminded me of something I was thinking about last night while I was looking at a website trying to figure out how to move to Denmark.

(26-03-2014 08:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  that thought has crossed my mind many times, just over school for my children. Add in healthcare and the crazy religious stuff. ugh.

So.....where is the closest thing we have for Utopia?

Here's some of my criteria:

--excellent free education for my children
--great healthcare system
--a place where the young, elderly, disabled and poor are taken care of in a kind, healthy way- not forced to sell all they own for bottom of the barrel care and handouts.
--where the environment (air, water, ground) is clean
--where people are happy because they have money, employment, education

a comfortable climate (60-85 F) would be near the top of the 'bonus' list.

I know Scandinavian countries usually top these lists--do they have a downside? Where else?

I suggest you add Canada to your list. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2014, 12:43 PM
(26-03-2014 12:35 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 11:07 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Dodgy

That's not comfortable, that's Satan's armpit.

Are you crazy? Anything below 60 is unbearable. Let's boost 85 up to 95 and I am the happiest person on the planet.

I'm with you, it was 63F here in the Keys this morning and it was unbearable! Give me 90+ and sea breezes any ol' day.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-03-2014, 12:44 PM
(26-03-2014 11:38 AM)meremortal Wrote:  The stars at night
are big and bright
deep in the heart of

[Image: 250px-Texas_flag_map.svg.png]

Oh, I thought it said DIStopia. Never mind...

Good one, but it's 'dystopia'. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Check out Canada. We got it going on here! Shitty winters but it's an awesome place! And damn good weed Smile.
26-03-2014, 12:47 PM
(26-03-2014 12:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 12:35 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Are you crazy? Anything below 60 is unbearable. Let's boost 85 up to 95 and I am the happiest person on the planet.

I'm with you, it was 63F here in the Keys this morning and it was unbearable! Give me 90+ and sea breezes any ol' day.

Thank you Ferdi! You just gave me my 2000th like! I can die happy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-03-2014, 12:52 PM
(26-03-2014 12:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 12:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I'm with you, it was 63F here in the Keys this morning and it was unbearable! Give me 90+ and sea breezes any ol' day.

Thank you Ferdi! You just gave me my 2000th like! I can die happy.

Our winters dropped to like 12 degrees this year. I'm just ready for summer and 90+ degree weather.

Summer is when I am most happy. Shy
26-03-2014, 12:54 PM
(26-03-2014 09:21 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Well, the closest place to utopia is my "France" game on democracy 3.
We have 10 trillion in the reserves, when the economy crashes, we still make a profit.
You get about full funding your whole life.
No poverty.
A vast amount of government paid medical operations. and lots of free healthcare.
We are an egalitarian society.
Everybody uses alternative fuels or uses buses, and our environment is super clean.
About everyone is happy. (But the church is denouncing me.)

In Alex France, we have technological superiority, so we can control the weather. *

*Fictionalization of technological superiority.
Seriously, does anyone play "democracy 3?"

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
26-03-2014, 12:56 PM
(26-03-2014 12:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 12:35 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Are you crazy? Anything below 60 is unbearable. Let's boost 85 up to 95 and I am the happiest person on the planet.

(26-03-2014 12:52 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 12:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thank you Ferdi! You just gave me my 2000th like! I can die happy.

Our winters dropped to like 12 degrees this year. I'm just ready for summer and 90+ degree weather.

Summer is when I am most happy. Shy

Dodgy you try being a woman in her mid-40's.....anything over 85 might as well be HELL. Evil_monster Its too hot for me here in NC in the summer. I hide in the a/c all summer long.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller