What place comes closest to Utopia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: What place comes closest to Utopia?
Monterey area, California.

I can't speak much about other countries, but I have travelled the USA quite extensively and lived in several corners of it. To my mind, there is no place nearly as amazing as Carmel Valley.

It's 70s year round. Heat of summer, maybe in the 80s. Dead of winter. HAHAHAHA, they don't have winter, it just sorta dips into the 60s some days.

It has all the best parts of California with few of the downsides. Even the big earthquakes only rattle shelves there, it's right on the ocean, the views from above the valley are absolutely magnificent. The first time I went horse riding there, we came around a bend into a view of the valley that was literally breathtaking. It looked like someone had painted it from what their idea of Eden would look like.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
26-03-2014, 01:51 PM
(26-03-2014 12:56 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Dodgy you try being a woman in her mid-40's.....anything over 85 might as well be HELL. Evil_monster Its too hot for me here in NC in the summer. I hide in the a/c all summer long.

While the temp may be in the 80's here there is always some breeze, shade under the palm trees and the water is always cooler.

In the middle of Summer the survival techniques are: properly designed house, elevated with screened balcony, high ceilings and lots of ceiling fans. Hammock with cooler at arms reach full of cold brews. Jump in water as needed. Any questions?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Lying in bed in the dark, listening to good music, with something to look forward to Drinking Beverage
26-03-2014, 02:58 PM
(26-03-2014 01:49 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Monterey area, California.

I can't speak much about other countries, but I have travelled the USA quite extensively and lived in several corners of it. To my mind, there is no place nearly as amazing as Carmel Valley.

It's 70s year round. Heat of summer, maybe in the 80s. Dead of winter. HAHAHAHA, they don't have winter, it just sorta dips into the 60s some days.

It has all the best parts of California with few of the downsides. Even the big earthquakes only rattle shelves there, it's right on the ocean, the views from above the valley are absolutely magnificent. The first time I went horse riding there, we came around a bend into a view of the valley that was literally breathtaking. It looked like someone had painted it from what their idea of Eden would look like.

I must side with you on this one, at least as far as climate and scenery go. The Cental Coast of CA is near perfection, I'm from San Luis Obispo myself. Travelled all over and there's no where I'd rather be geographically... HOWEVER, CA taxes are pretty ridiculous, and the cost of living is pretty high. Lots of competition to live on the Central Coast, I'll have to wait until I'm a millionaire to move back and live comfortably. :-( Until then I hope to bide my time in Vancouver, WA, no income taxes and just across the border from Portland with no sales taxes, that cost of living boost should help with health care costs, etc.

Outside of the US, I can't really say, but definitely consider Vancouver, Canada as well (personally I love the Seattle-area climate), and most Canadians seem pretty happy with the health care up there.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
26-03-2014, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2014 03:21 PM by Free Thought.)
(26-03-2014 11:09 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 11:07 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  No way, these are the factors eliminating California as a Utopia:
-Wildfires
-Earthquakes
-Landslides
-Potential megatsunamis
-Los Angeles

What about drought?

If you people let drought and fire get you down, you'd best avoid Australia then.
We get real bush-fires down here. And we have a history of dealing with decade-long droughts (another such we seem to be entering as I type).

But otherwise it's pretty good down here. Education system is far from the best and it's an absolute bitch getting into higher education, but it's better than the US so I hear, and our medical system seems a damn sight better too.. But it does have some problems all it's own.
Plus the only other nation we actually have to worry about is Kiwiland. Those bastards and their sports teams.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.