Poll: What is your political leaning?
Left Wing
Right Wing
I read World Weekly News while I go to the bathroom.
[Show Results]

What political leaning do you have?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2015, 01:28 PM
RE: What political leaning do you have?
LH,

You're probably noticing from the responses that there is tendency to be non-committal.

I suspect this is because of the level of intelligence here; specifically these are people who understand 'nuance' and as such find it uncomfortable or irrelevant to assign a label to themselves ... as DD said: it ain't so black and white.

On your voyage of discovery into uncharted waters, I'm guessing you are attempting to do some charting. So perhaps it might be more worthwhile to narrow things down to specific topics (LGBT issues, abortion, animal welfare, welfare state etc.)

As a prompter, perhaps you might like to consider this from Jonathan Haidt et al at moralfoundations.org:

To summarise:
1) Care/harm
2) Fairness/cheating
3) Loyalty/betrayal
4) Authority/subversion
5) Sanctity/degradation
6) Liberty/oppression

Quote:Much of our present research involves applying the theory to political "cultures" such as those of liberals and conservatives. The current American culture war, we have found, can be seen as arising from the fact that liberals try to create a morality relying primarily on the Care/harm foundation, with additional support from the Fairness/cheating and Liberty/oppression foundations. Conservatives, especially religious conservatives, use all six foundations, including Loyatly/betrayal, Authority/subversion, and Sanctity/degradation.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-04-2015, 02:07 PM
I like the concept of Libertarianism, but without the religious bias that accompanies most libertarian politicians, making me effectively worthless.

In the end I just vote for whoever is least likely to take away my guns, silently wishing the candidates I would otherwise actually like would just abandon that particular issue so I could vote for them.

'Murican Canadian
11-04-2015, 02:13 PM
(11-04-2015 02:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  In the end I just vote for whoever is least likely to take away my guns...

So.... Tea Party Republicans then? Tongue

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
11-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I've kind of flip flopped over the years. I voted Republican in my younger years because I was raised that way and I was in the military. When I was about 24 I started voting Democrat because I was serious about the separation of church and state and really into my atheism. President Bush and his faith based initiative used to drive me mad.

When I got to be about 32 I started realizing that social issues are going to evolve over time and I really am not affected by them all that much. Gay marriage will happen. Religion will become less important, hopefully with a boost in science. I've become a one issue voter. I vote for pro gun candidates with an A rating from the NRA.

America has a problem that nobody wants to acknowledge. Although crime rates are on the decline, they're not low enough that I feel safe enough to be unarmed. Murders, home invasion robberies, carjackings, assaults, burglaries, rapes etc. are still far too common. I won't be a victim. My family won't be victims. I vote for the candidates that won't make it easier for criminals to succeed in victimizing me. And when there is no hope of voting in pro gun people I move to a new location. I love California but I couldn't live there anymore with the gun laws. I moved down south.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
11-04-2015, 02:22 PM
If you have to pin me down--- I ran for Sheriff as a libertarian......

But, I don't agree with the whole of the Libertarian plank.......

I'm pro-choice, pro-death penalty, anti-drug - but pro-legalization.

I think prostitution should be legal - but think women should pay men instead of the other way around...

I'm a fucking walking contradiction...

YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT????????

....(I may have been from New York in a previous life....... except I don't believe in such nonsense....)

That clear it all up?????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-04-2015, 02:26 PM
(11-04-2015 02:21 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  ...
I started realizing that social issues are going to evolve over time and I really am not affected by them all that much.
I moved down south.

I'm spotting a contradiction, there.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-04-2015, 02:31 PM
(11-04-2015 02:13 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 02:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  In the end I just vote for whoever is least likely to take away my guns...

So.... Tea Party Republicans then? Tongue

I'd give a tea party republican a vote all the while feeling bitter that they best represent my interests and wishing it could be another way.

'Murican Canadian
11-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Left. Government is the only check on large corporations doing whatever will make a profit regardless of harm done or long term consequences.

One cockroach at a time.
11-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Depends what side of the bed I get out of on a morning.. I went through high school with the right side of it against a wall. Fucking communist mother trying to trick me.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
11-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Oh, weeping spaghetti monster, I'm getting ol' Lumi flashbacks...

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post