Poll: What is your political leaning?
Left Wing
Right Wing
I read World Weekly News while I go to the bathroom.
[Show Results]

What political leaning do you have?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2015, 04:54 AM
RE: What political leaning do you have?
I find this pole reflective of America, two choices, neither representing much of my views. Libertarian.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2015, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2015 05:35 AM by Clockwork.)
What political leaning do you have?
None of these fit me.

I'd rather argue religion. Sometimes arguing over politics feels like the same US v. Them type of bullshit.
13-04-2015, 08:39 AM
(13-04-2015 12:13 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm in the UK, and I'm going to vote green or labour.

I don't know a great deal about politics, but I've made an effort to gather more information for this election.

Green and labour are the only parties which give a fuck about animals, and that is a priority to me. Not only do Tories not care, they actually want to bring back fox "hunting" which should be called fox torture. There is no way I'm going to vote for anyone who wants that. UKIP also support it, so they are out. I don't see the Tories doing a particularly good job running the country anyhow.

I like green because they also care about the environment more than most parties. I may vote for them, not because I expect them to win this time, but to try and get them more seats. I want a voice for animals and the environment in politics. My friend once told me green was a wasted vote, as they would never get a seat. Now they have over 20 I believe.

If I want to try and get someone to actually win. I'll vote labour. They have surprisingly good animal policies, they plan to abolish or improve something like 8-10 different issues. Unfortunately I find them as slippery as the Tories in actually being honest about stuff.

The lib dems I know less about, but I do know they held back the Tories from doing some bad stuff like bringing back fox hunting already, and auctioning off everyone's fucking granny to the highest bidder.

All in all... I think labour or green. Ironically I liked Farage because he was the only one at the debate out of the big parties being properly honest. I could see the others lying through their teeth about various matters. But I'm not going UKIP because they also have crazy ideas like bringing in handguns, promoting fracking, and trying to solve every problem ever by tackling immigration.

Please don't vote for Cameron. Fox hunting is absolutely vile. For those that don't know, it's dragging out the "cull" of a fox as long as possible using dogs, to terrorise the fox and chase it until it's at the point of absolute exhaustion. Sometimes it dies from its heart exploding. Then the dogs rip it to shreds. If a fox "needs" to die, it should be done as quickly and cleanly as possible. Cameron actually said people in the countryside need fox hunting. Fuck off. No one needs to torture animals.

Thanks for reading!

I agree with all of that, but the thing that puts me off the Greens is that they come across as being too idealist and disconnected from reality. Especially when it comes to defense. I get the impression that they believe we have no need of a military, and seem to have the wrong end of the stick with everything regarding defense.

From their own website...

On inspection, there is little or no threat of direct invasion of the UK by any nation. Commitment to a large standing army, a navy of large warships around our coastline, squadrons of fighter planes and a cripplingly expensive missile defence system is therefore unnecessary. Any threat of invasion that might arise in the future is so remote that realignment of the UK military and defence preparations would be possible long before any invasion occurred.

Except of course, that being an island nation, we rely on a strong navy and air force as our first line of defense. Maybe back in the 1930s you could train and equip several fighter squadrons fairly quickly, but modern fighter aircraft take much longer to produce, and it takes years to train pilots. Even in 1940 the RAF were short on men and machines.

It seems the Greens aren't concerned by Putin sending heavy bombers to probe our airspace, while he's busy annexing Crimea and destabilizing eastern Europe. Not to mention the threat of a 9/11 style terror attack.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
13-04-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty liberal, but I don't really fit a party.
13-04-2015, 11:07 AM
None of the above.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-04-2015, 11:26 AM
I am not left-wing or right-wing, liberal or conservative, democrat or republican. Neither would I consider myself a moderate. Labeling oneself is dangerous and limiting. In fact, the whole concept of partisan politics in our particular usage of democracy is dangerous, in my mind. While I am not a conspiracy theorist, I do believe that the political party system in the US has evolved to favor those in power. The politicians of our age are, by and large, not statesmen, in the Platonic sense. While many may at first engage in politics with the goal of service and good-will, most will find that they must pay-to-play. The price is usually one's integrity, rationalized under the auspices that the ends justify the means. The reality is that the "ends" never truly materialize and the perpetuation of the "means" is continued on ad infinitum. The ability to distill a person down into one pot or the other allows a two party system to keep power consolidated and make egregious use of emotional rhetoric to ignite the passion of followers. This passion is convenient as it allows those in power to bypass the reasoning, logic, and analytical part of the brains of voters and leverage instead the tools of fear, false hopes, and other powerful emotions. All the partisan political noise is just a distraction from the real game at hand, which is to procure and weild as much power as possible.

That's all... now I must put my tinfoil hat back on and go hide from the EMFs, UFOs, and NSA.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
13-04-2015, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2015 02:47 PM by AFTT47.)
Far-left socially, center-left economically, center-right on national defense.

Currently though, I do not see the American Republican Party as viable - regardless of the candidate. The party base pulls all of them towards 15th century social policies and middle-ages rejection of science. They are public enemy number one. Until there is a major change, I vote strictly Democrat.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2015, 12:12 PM
I think choosing a label is the wrong way to go. All parties/systems have things that are good and things that are not. I can usually find agreement/disagreement points no matter what group is making a proposal.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
14-04-2015, 09:02 AM
(13-04-2015 08:39 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:13 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm in the UK, and I'm going to vote green or labour.

I don't know a great deal about politics, but I've made an effort to gather more information for this election.

Green and labour are the only parties which give a fuck about animals, and that is a priority to me. Not only do Tories not care, they actually want to bring back fox "hunting" which should be called fox torture. There is no way I'm going to vote for anyone who wants that. UKIP also support it, so they are out. I don't see the Tories doing a particularly good job running the country anyhow.

I like green because they also care about the environment more than most parties. I may vote for them, not because I expect them to win this time, but to try and get them more seats. I want a voice for animals and the environment in politics. My friend once told me green was a wasted vote, as they would never get a seat. Now they have over 20 I believe.

If I want to try and get someone to actually win. I'll vote labour. They have surprisingly good animal policies, they plan to abolish or improve something like 8-10 different issues. Unfortunately I find them as slippery as the Tories in actually being honest about stuff.

The lib dems I know less about, but I do know they held back the Tories from doing some bad stuff like bringing back fox hunting already, and auctioning off everyone's fucking granny to the highest bidder.

All in all... I think labour or green. Ironically I liked Farage because he was the only one at the debate out of the big parties being properly honest. I could see the others lying through their teeth about various matters. But I'm not going UKIP because they also have crazy ideas like bringing in handguns, promoting fracking, and trying to solve every problem ever by tackling immigration.

Please don't vote for Cameron. Fox hunting is absolutely vile. For those that don't know, it's dragging out the "cull" of a fox as long as possible using dogs, to terrorise the fox and chase it until it's at the point of absolute exhaustion. Sometimes it dies from its heart exploding. Then the dogs rip it to shreds. If a fox "needs" to die, it should be done as quickly and cleanly as possible. Cameron actually said people in the countryside need fox hunting. Fuck off. No one needs to torture animals.

Thanks for reading!

I agree with all of that, but the thing that puts me off the Greens is that they come across as being too idealist and disconnected from reality. Especially when it comes to defense. I get the impression that they believe we have no need of a military, and seem to have the wrong end of the stick with everything regarding defense.

From their own website...

On inspection, there is little or no threat of direct invasion of the UK by any nation. Commitment to a large standing army, a navy of large warships around our coastline, squadrons of fighter planes and a cripplingly expensive missile defence system is therefore unnecessary. Any threat of invasion that might arise in the future is so remote that realignment of the UK military and defence preparations would be possible long before any invasion occurred.

Except of course, that being an island nation, we rely on a strong navy and air force as our first line of defense. Maybe back in the 1930s you could train and equip several fighter squadrons fairly quickly, but modern fighter aircraft take much longer to produce, and it takes years to train pilots. Even in 1940 the RAF were short on men and machines.

It seems the Greens aren't concerned by Putin sending heavy bombers to probe our airspace, while he's busy annexing Crimea and destabilizing eastern Europe. Not to mention the threat of a 9/11 style terror attack.

The budget cutting over the past few years by both the UK and the US has created an unprecedented level of private military work, such as cargo ships hiring mercenaries to guard them against pirate attacks that just a short time ago, when fleets regularly patrolled the waters, wouldn't have been a major concern. The cost of that protection is ultimately filtered down to the consumer either way, whether through taxes or higher prices of shipped products.

I don't think most people, comfortable in their bubbles, have any idea how hostile the world really is, even outside of the hot spots that always hog the headlines.

But yeah I'm in the same boat. I like what the Green Party stands for, I just wish they didn't have their heads up their asses, completely hidden from the way the world really works.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
14-04-2015, 11:09 AM
(11-04-2015 04:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  They appear to have a web presence.

The current front page contains Bat Boy, twinkies, and Aliens. This is promising.

I had figured they were totally DOA when I stopped seeing the dead tree edition in supermarkets.

I used to love WWN....I used to be an avid reader. I especially loved it when they dropped into it a real *always* whacky news story into the mix of bullshit. So you're reading something that actually happened, along side a message from bigfoot or Bill Clinton's secret meeting with aliens from mars.

Fucking brilliant!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces