What positive experiences have you had with xians. Nothing sexual, mind.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2016, 08:43 AM
RE: What positive experiences have you had with xians. Nothing sexual, mind.
All the times they didn't talk to me? Lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
08-02-2016, 08:55 AM
My mother was ordained a Methodist Minister when I was in my late teens; we've had our ups and downs, lol. Other than that I'm a novice musician and over the course of 20 years in that "hobby" I've played with all kinds of other musicians most of whom, if not outright Christians were probably theists in some capacity. In 2015 my band became very friendly with a husband and wife team and their band. They're all Christians, although it's not a "Christian" band if you know what I mean. Anyway, they're some of the nicest friendliest people I've had the pleasure of jamming with and I've learned a lot from them. Thus far religion hasn't come up at all other than their teenage kids spent a week on some kind of charitable mission through their church and we talked about that some. The fact that they're Christian and I'm not hasn't raised any kind of issue at all.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
08-02-2016, 09:01 AM
My entire childhood.

I remember we would go out after Sunday school and they would have chalk for us. We would draw all over the parsonage and the sidewalks. The entire place was filled with rainbows and sunshine. Twice a year our school would go into the church where a faculty member with a guitar would sing with us. I loved being part of the Christmas plays in the church, I was so proud when I was tasked with moving the statues of the wise men as they drew closer to the blessed virgin and the holy child.

When I was 14 we all went to this outdoors camp together. We did rock climbing and kayaking and biking. We had so much fun together.

I remember doing paintings of Jesus from a window that was in the church. I remember my teacher said it was so good that she had it put up as part of the student art exhibit.

I remember how proud my family was at my first communion.

I remember the joy around the baptism of my brothers.

I remember the welcoming nature of the church, how everyone seemed so happy to see us. As if we were always welcome there.

I remember how proud my grandma was when I told her I was studying Latin and church history.
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
08-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Maybe I'm just lucky to have grown up in the Northeast United States where people generally don't care about your religion but most of the atrocities I've had to bear from Christians have been grammatical in nature in the form of polluting my Facebook newsfeed. Oh well, we all have our cross to bear after all!
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
08-02-2016, 09:25 AM
(08-02-2016 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Numerous and uncountable positive experiences with christians.

But none of that positivity was extrapolatable from the christianity.

Much of it was in spite of or irrelevant to what they claimed to believe.

Undecided

My experience echos yours, DLJ. I've had very favorable experiences with Christians... as long as Christianity is not being discussed.

The Christians that I know are warm, kind, honest, hard-working people. They only become rabid maniacs when the topic of Christianity is actually being discussed.

... Okay, and also the decline of American values, democrats who want to destroy the US, abortion, "fruity" liberalism, and illegal immigrants (among other hot-button topics).
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
08-02-2016, 09:31 AM
I grew up in the northeast. I actually grew up in NYC, which is a pretty diverse place. I had friends who were jewish, protestants, and buddhists. And NO ONE CARED.

I now live in Okla-fucking-homa, so it's no wonder that EVERY bad experience I've had has been in the south.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
08-02-2016, 10:31 AM
(08-02-2016 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Numerous and uncountable positive experiences with christians.

But none of that positivity was extrapolatable from the christianity.

Much of it was in spite of or irrelevant to what they claimed to believe.

Undecided

We've got to remember, the majority of mainstream Christians in this country, you wouldn't even know they're Christians. They lead a very secular life, attend church once a week and maybe feel the inspiration or "calling" from church to do a stint of volunteer work here and there or donate to some charities.

So I think we've all had positive experiences with Christians that had little to do with the fact that they are Christians.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
08-02-2016, 10:47 AM
(08-02-2016 10:31 AM)mgoering Wrote:  ...
We've got to remember, the majority of mainstream Christians in this country,

Which country?

Probably most countries where christians are feeling safety in numbers.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-02-2016, 10:59 AM
I have and have had many friends and acquaintances who are more-or-less cultural Christians and that's all well and good.

However, I can't think of a single positive experience with any True Christians™.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-02-2016, 11:09 AM
(08-02-2016 08:43 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  All the times they didn't talk to me? Lol.

I should probably be nicer.

Ive had many lovely experiences with christians, they usually just dont involve religion.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post