What positive experiences have you had with xians. Nothing sexual, mind.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2016, 11:21 AM
RE: What positive experiences have you had with xians. Nothing sexual, mind.
(08-02-2016 09:25 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Numerous and uncountable positive experiences with christians.

But none of that positivity was extrapolatable from the christianity.

Much of it was in spite of or irrelevant to what they claimed to believe.

Undecided

My experience echos yours, DLJ. I've had very favorable experiences with Christians... as long as Christianity is not being discussed.

The Christians that I know are warm, kind, honest, hard-working people. They only become rabid maniacs when the topic of Christianity is actually being discussed.

... Okay, and also the decline of American values, democrats who want to destroy the US, abortion, "fruity" liberalism, and illegal immigrants (among other hot-button topics).

Exactly. As long as religion is never discussed everything is ok. It's the same thing with muslims, hindus and every other religion. As long as religion never enters the conversation we're good. Once that threshold is breached the gloves come off and I suddenly become a immoral sinner in their eyes which is ridiculous because their perception of me was just fine up until they find out I'm an atheist.

I think people are generally decent but it's not because of the religion they belong to, it's because it makes life nicer if people get along with each other. It's as simple as that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-02-2016, 11:41 AM
(08-02-2016 11:21 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 09:25 AM)Aliza Wrote:  My experience echos yours, DLJ. I've had very favorable experiences with Christians... as long as Christianity is not being discussed.

The Christians that I know are warm, kind, honest, hard-working people. They only become rabid maniacs when the topic of Christianity is actually being discussed.

... Okay, and also the decline of American values, democrats who want to destroy the US, abortion, "fruity" liberalism, and illegal immigrants (among other hot-button topics).

Exactly. As long as religion is never discussed everything is ok. It's the same thing with muslims, hindus and every other religion. As long as religion never enters the conversation we're good. Once that threshold is breached the gloves come off and I suddenly become a immoral sinner in their eyes which is ridiculous because their perception of me was just fine up until they find out I'm an atheist.

I think people are generally decent but it's not because of the religion they belong to, it's because it makes life nicer if people get along with each other. It's as simple as that.

Similar to the "don't ask, don't tell' policy they used to have in the military. Of course, we're not going to get discharged from the community if we reveal our beliefs. But, there is enough hatred toward atheists, that we have a long way to go before we are accepted as respectable human beings in this country. (USA) Wink

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
08-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I am a former Catholic/Christian and have had many positive experiences with Catholics/Christians I know irl--too many to count really. Many of my family and friends are still Catholics or Christians. There are also Christians on here that I enjoy talking to, who are all around cool people-- like KC, jason_delisle, and Deidre.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-02-2016, 12:42 PM
I've had my fair share of mixed experiences. However, even after my deconversion I have several christian friends who have remained my friend. Granted, I don't know what's going on in their head, i.e. they feel sorry for me since I'm going to burn forever,but nevertheless, they don't point it out.

On a specific instance: I had a long (4 hour discussion) with a pastor last year about my deconversion and he was pleasant, non-combative, rather understanding and said he had struggled with the same questions I had. However, his ill-informed views on logic, the psychology of the brain, fallacies we gravitate toward etc. ushered him right back into the fold with the mental gymnastics he had to perform to keep himself out of cognitive dissonance.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
08-02-2016, 08:53 PM
I was a christian most of my life. My daughter is an atheist and my son is a youth pastor of a Presbyterian church. (weird huh?) Both of my sisters are as christian as I used to be. My son is one of the kindest, most energetic people I know and my sisters have always been sweet and loving. Aside from my husband and daughter, no one else knows of my atheism. I have many positive times with my son and sisters. They know I am skeptical and liberal minded, so they are used to me throwing questions and challenges to them, but we keep it soft and kind.

Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
[+] 1 user Likes rebel*ox's post
29-02-2016, 10:28 AM
I've had lots of positive experiences with Christians.
My long-time best friend is a Christian. She's warm, funny, intelligent, and has one heck of a potty-mouth. Smile At the beginning of our friendship, she did try to evangelize me when I was telling her about stuff that was really bumming me out, but I told her several times that I was a culturally Jewish agnostic, and nothing she could say or do would ever convert me, and she never brought up the Jesus stuff again. Smile
I've had two Christian mental health support workers (I have treatment-resistant major clinical depression) and they were supportive, kind, and never evangelized to me. And both of them graduated from Liberty University.
In my apartment building (all seniors), everyone but me is a Christian, most of them evangelical. Quite a few of them are wonderful people. Among my favorites is a delightful 78-year-old woman, who looks at the most 50, who is a Bible-college-educated evangelical preacher and runs a weekly worship service here. She's sweet, witty and generous. Yes, she punctuates every other sentence with "Praise Jesus," and "God told me to X, Y, Z" and "God is good," and she praises Jesus instead of her doctors and surgeons, but, hey, I just wait for her to finish the jargon. It's ingrained in her. She can't help it. She's never, not once, evangelized to me, although whenever my health problems are acting up, she tells me she'll pray for me. I let her. It makes her feel helpful.
I don't know HOW these people believe what they believe. I just know they do. And behind the Christian-speak and the weird ideas can often be a downright nice person.
[+] 1 user Likes jariel's post
29-02-2016, 10:43 AM
The one thing I can say I honestly miss about church is the potluck dinners. Holy fried chicken, those ladies could cook some fine food. I would almost sit through the sermon, the prayers, and the "so glad to see you back in church" crap to be able to pile up a plate of homemade, chicken-fried gluttony. Almost.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
29-02-2016, 11:59 AM
My wife is the daughter of two clergy. She was brought up a christard. She studied christardology at university. She's better now and no longer suffers from religtardology.

Her father was a cruel SOB and used to mentally and physically abuse her. Thankfully, he didn't sexually abuse her. That's the only reason he's still alive. She refuses to have anything to do with him and hasn't these last 30+ years. He left the family home when my wife was in her early teens. Looking back, it was a good thing.

Her mum isn't much better. She's a tart. She will and has slept with anyone that has a pulse. She even slept with an ex-boyfriend of my wife's. Although she's still a vicar, I know that she doubts the existence of god. For her sake, I do hope that god doesn't exist because, if he does, she's in deep trouble when she dies.

I tolerate my mother-in-law for the sake of my wife who would otherwise have no one else in her life apart from me. My wife didn't want children. I often wonder ....

My wife has seen a number of councilors and psychologists in an attempt to get herself sorted out. She's much better than she was but is still 'broken'. Her words, not mine. There again, we're all broken - just in different ways.

We are all products of society and of our childhood. My wife more so than some. In spite of everything, she's the sweetest person I know, in spite, and not because of, christards and the christardology that they pretend to adhere to.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
29-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Many positive experiences...many more than negative ones.

Being a Christian doesn't make a person bad or evil any more than being atheist does.

I don't judge people based on their belief or non. I do, however, have little patience with those who need to advertise their faith. I have a good friend who is Pentecostal. We are so far apart on the religion scale we can barely see each other. We simply respect and care for one another...no religion required. We have had many discussions and it's never hurt our friendship.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-02-2016, 02:43 PM
My UU minister of 6 years. He was short, wizened, bearded, graying to the point of white, and was always laughing and joking with a knowing, playful sense for the human condition. Great for philosophical conversations and a really supportive and great guy all around. He was a Christian and it was being a Christian that motivated him into that role, and if you looked you could see how elements of that religion shaped his interactions with people, but he was not prone to evangelize or convert at ALL, because he knew it caused harm.

If even 50% of Christians were Christians like that, I wouldn't have a problem with the religion.