What's A Bible For, Anyway?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 10:11 AM
What's A Bible For, Anyway?
If I’m preparing to overhaul a Pratt & Whitney R-985 airplane engine I’m not going to have a King James volume out on the bench as a supplement to the service manual. I think even the most rabid fundamentalist would agree that for some things, non-biblical written material must apply.

But if there are activities, like overhauling an airplane engine, where written material is necessary to perform the activity, yet is not biblical written material, then to what human activities DOES a bible apply, and most important, how does one make that determination? Rebuilding an airplane engine is a no-brainer, but what about the “service manuals” a psychiatrist would reference?

Some things the bible is used for are fairly clear cut. It details certain things that must be done prior to death in order to achieve a particular post-death existence. It details other things that must be done to attain a “oneness” with its god. It details whom to kill by what method on which pretexts. The instructions in these cases are usually exasperatingly vague and contradictory, but their aim is clear enough.

But for many human endeavors like history, scientific discovery, cooking, child-rearing, medical practice and what kinds of clothing to wear, it’s something of a muddle.

So, what activities is the bible supposed to inform? How does one identify those activities? For which of these activities is the bible the ONLY informing source? And for the activities for which the bible is not the ONLY informing source but requires additional supplemental written material, how does one identify which written supplementary material is CORRECT written supplementary material?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: What's A Bible For, Anyway?
(31-10-2014 10:11 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  If I’m preparing to overhaul a Pratt & Whitney R-985 airplane engine I’m not going to have a King James volume out on the bench as a supplement to the service manual. I think even the most rabid fundamentalist would agree that for some things, non-biblical written material must apply.

But if there are activities, like overhauling an airplane engine, where written material is necessary to perform the activity, yet is not biblical written material, then to what human activities DOES a bible apply, and most important, how does one make that determination? Rebuilding an airplane engine is a no-brainer, but what about the “service manuals” a psychiatrist would reference?

Some things the bible is used for are fairly clear cut. It details certain things that must be done prior to death in order to achieve a particular post-death existence. It details other things that must be done to attain a “oneness” with its god. It details whom to kill by what method on which pretexts. The instructions in these cases are usually exasperatingly vague and contradictory, but their aim is clear enough.

But for many human endeavors like history, scientific discovery, cooking, child-rearing, medical practice and what kinds of clothing to wear, it’s something of a muddle.

So, what activities is the bible supposed to inform? How does one identify those activities? For which of these activities is the bible the ONLY informing source? And for the activities for which the bible is not the ONLY informing source but requires additional supplemental written material, how does one identify which written supplementary material is CORRECT written supplementary material?

The Bible IMO is for life and is a spiritual book. As for the "practicals" there are a great many (it is a large volume of books!) but let's look at a few, all moral or ethical in tone:

The Bible would tell us to ask God for wisdom in overhauling the plane
" " " guide us in selling or financing the plane
" " " help us assess who might make a faithful pilot of the plane
" " " help us find meaning in using the plane for philanthropy or charity
" " " etc.

While I do not debate that atheists may enjoy an airplane, behave morally with an airplane, etc. without the Bible, the airplane is ultimately objectively worthless/purposeless if there is no God. It clearly has temporal life and temporal value that will diminish over time.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 03:03 PM
I really didn't find the bible that useful as a Christian, to apply it to your daily life required you to interpret it, why read, interpret and choose a course of action based on that interpretation?
Just decide a course of action without the superfluous religious nonsense, but that's when we get into a person's ego, how they can proclaim that they know what god said about something and derive some sort of authority from that.
The problem I encountered when I was still a believer was that no one really knew anything better than I did in terms of going about solving problems in life, they only asserted that their way was direct from god.
It was interesting as I sat and watched many of these woo peddlers make "god based" decisions and fail miserably. I knew what kind of deceptive game they were playing and when they failed, it proved they were full of it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
31-10-2014, 03:11 PM
It's nothing but a history of the squabbling Hebrew priests .. the OT anyway.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
The NT is just a buncha bla bla bla, they appropriated from the Jews in Diaspora. to keep their cult alive after they were disappointed the "end-times" didn't arrive as they had expected.

Nothing about it flys.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-10-2014, 03:46 PM
The bible isn't of any use to a Christian anyway.

If something happened tomorrow that proved without question to a Christian that the bible was false.. they would still say they believed because of personal experiences and all the so called testimonies they have.

So the bible is even redundant to a Christian, never mind an aircraft engineer.
31-10-2014, 04:25 PM
The big, heavy ones are good for pressing flowers!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
31-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Door stops.

Super for door stops.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
31-10-2014, 05:01 PM
(31-10-2014 04:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Door stops.

Super for door stops.

.........but then again our Mormon friends might just walk in without even askingConfused
31-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Good for making paper mache stuff, chopped up it makes great confetti, wadded up the pages make fine packing material, cut the pages up and paste together with Harry Potter pages and it makes really silly stories for great party fun. Laughat

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-11-2014, 08:36 AM
The bible is clearly a weapon. Thousands of pages, even the thinnest parchment from 2000 years ago would make it a hefty item. As such, it could then be used as a shield, blunt object, or projectile. Doubtless early Christians were devastatingly accurate with the hurled bible (we all know today that the bible continues to instill an almost insurmountable predisposition to hurl), for how else would one explain their rise to power? Obvious they clubbed disbelievers over the head with it, very effective. I believe there is even some biblical evidence of this. Something about building the Church upon a rock, and let's face it a book that heavy really could be a rock, not to mention that it's a win-win for the Christians. If you don't have rocks in your head to start with (for not believing in the rock, ie the bible), they would just try to insert it manually. While this seems to have been ineffective for the individual (the book absorbed the person, blood specifically, more than the person absorbed the book), it seems to have had some sort of explanitary power as a demonstration of the main idea of getting rocks into one's head, allowing others nearby to join in the fun.
Just a hypothesis.
[+] 2 users Like OddGamer's post