What's God's Purpose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2017, 10:23 AM
What's God's Purpose?
A lot of what religion purports to provide is a reason for being; in its words, we exist to fulfill some god's purpose. It's a proven dimension of human psychology that we must ascribe some kind of "meaning" to our existence; we're here to do and experience something more than eating excreting screwing and sleeping, so having something greater than ourselves to "live for" gives our fizzing brains repose.

But if this god we're all supposed to be the reason we're here is itself perfect, knowing everything and thus barred from ever learning anything new, what is ITS purpose? What gives IT a reason to get up in the morning and look forward to the day? Because, as described, the existence it leads can only be one of unremitting tedium and boredom, with nothing it itself can look to as something to live for.

There'd be plenty to fear from such a god, bored out of its mind and having the power to turn galaxies into gas, desperately trying ANYTHING to escape to relentless tedium of not being able to improve itself or gain new knowledge.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
26-04-2017, 10:30 AM
RE: What's God's Purpose?
(26-04-2017 10:23 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  A lot of what religion purports to provide is a reason for being; in its words, we exist to fulfill some god's purpose. It's a proven dimension of human psychology that we must ascribe some kind of "meaning" to our existence; we're here to do and experience something more than eating excreting screwing and sleeping, so having something greater than ourselves to "live for" gives our fizzing brains repose.

But if this god we're all supposed to be the reason we're here is itself perfect, knowing everything and thus barred from ever learning anything new, what is ITS purpose? What gives IT a reason to get up in the morning and look forward to the day? Because, as described, the existence it leads can only be one of unremitting tedium and boredom, with nothing it itself can look to as something to live for.

There'd be plenty to fear from such a god, bored out of its mind and having the power to turn galaxies into gas, desperately trying ANYTHING to escape to relentless tedium of not being able to improve itself or gain new knowledge.

Well, if there ever was a Christian god it must have gotten bored with the whole thing about 2000 years ago, because it hasn't been seen since.
Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
26-04-2017, 10:34 AM
God's purpose is to placate the insecurities of those who don't want to face that he is a product of their imaginations.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-04-2017, 10:37 AM
My theory is that it blew itself apart to escape it's tedious existence and this was called the Big Bang. Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
26-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Who? Huh

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
26-04-2017, 10:57 AM
It's purpose is to sit at my feet and be my best friend. Oh wait, I thought you said dog...

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
26-04-2017, 11:01 AM
According to the church I used to go to, the entire purpose of god was his "plan", which is apparently was to bring all his followers to heaven to worship him forever, then punish everyone else forever and destroy the earth and/or universe.

What's funny is they didn't seem to realize that telling me "heaven" was going to basically be an eternal church service was hardly an incentive to keep believing. Hell a few hours a week was boring enough.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
26-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Control.

That's all, really.
From thunder & lightening to the whimpering teenager strapped into a vest of explosives in a subway train.

The moment you think it is something more than that, you make it more than it is, or ever was.

That's why anyone can be vulnerable to it. It is all too easy to provide it with power - easy to let it exist.

I don't find it to be purposful at all.
I find it to be degrading of and to humanity.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
26-04-2017, 12:17 PM
I can only try to imagine our primal ancestors evolution through consciousness and time. How they evolved socially and mentally, laying the very foundations of what we experience collectively today.

I see god as just a gap filler to knowledge. A convenient explanation for everything unexplainable. The more knowledge we learn, the more that god looks like santa claus.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
26-04-2017, 12:27 PM
(26-04-2017 10:57 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  It's purpose is to have me grovel at its feet, thinking it's my best friend

Fixt.

Facepalm

And 'cause I nearly puked into my own brain, here's the antidote

"I burn down your cities-how blind you must be
I take from you your children and you say how blessed are we
You all must be crazy to put your faith in me"

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post