What's Naturalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2014, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2014 04:23 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
What's Naturalism?
In laymen's terms, can someone explain what naturalism is? Someone recommended me checking out the Religious Naturalist Association (RNA) [pun intended]. It seems interesting but all I got out of it is that their an atheist group that is in awe and wonder about everything, which I am but I'm not seeing a differentiation. Are all naturalist's atheist? Can you be both? Is naturalism logical or is it based on assumptions?

"Naturalism: a philosophical viewpoint according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted."

Here's the article I was recommended if anyone's interested: http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2014/11/23...ntent=2048

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2014, 04:21 PM
RE: What's Naturalism?
(23-11-2014 04:10 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  In laymen's terms, can someone explain what naturalism is? Someone recommended me checking out the Religious Naturalist Association (RNA) [pun intended]. It seems interesting but all I got out of it is that their an atheist group that is in awe and wonder about everything, which I am but I'm not seeing a differentiation. Are all naturalist's atheist? Can you be both?

"Naturalism: a philosophical viewpoint according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted."

Here's the article I was recommended if anyone's interested: http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2014/11/23...ntent=2048

Naturalism is basically stated as: "The philosophical position that 'Shit happens without magic'."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
23-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Can't imagine there being naturalist theists, they are mutually exclusive.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
23-11-2014, 04:32 PM
So atheism is about what we DONT believe. What DO naturalists believe? Is it logical or based on assumptions. It sounds like it's basically the philosophy behind simply being an agnostic atheist?

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
23-11-2014, 04:39 PM
(23-11-2014 04:32 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  So atheism is about what we DONT believe. What DO naturalists believe? Is it logical or based on assumptions. It sounds like it's basically the philosophy behind simply being an agnostic atheist?

One does not need to accept naturalism as an atheist, and accepting naturalism leaves room to be some manner of deist.

However, naturalism and atheism are highly correlated as beliefs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-11-2014, 04:50 PM
(23-11-2014 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  One does not need to accept naturalism as an atheist, and accepting naturalism leaves room to be some manner of deist.

would you mind expanding on this. Why wouldn't an atheist accept naturalism, and why would an atheist accept naturalism? Does it have to do with including God as part of nature?

23-11-2014, 05:08 PM
(23-11-2014 04:50 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  
(23-11-2014 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  One does not need to accept naturalism as an atheist, and accepting naturalism leaves room to be some manner of deist.

would you mind expanding on this. Why would an atheist not accept naturalism, and why would an atheist accept naturalism? Does it have to do with including God as part of nature?

Why would an atheist not accept a naturalism as a philosobull viewpoint?
Let's make no mistake; despite the few studies which suggest correlation between atheism and intelligence, atheists are no less prone to Woo-ish bullshittery than anybody else; there are plenty of atheists who believe in ghosts and magic and the like.

Why would an atheist accept naturalism as a philosobull view?
Naturalism due to it's having no room for things outside the natural has no space for deities either, which are by nature universally reported to either be supernatural or an over-glorified natural process. Of course, it rejects the hippy 'glorified process' god as well because the natural process doesn't need that extra borderline supernatural element.
Atheist who are not embroiled in Woo would logically default to the stance of naturalism even if they didn't know it existed, as a logical consequence of removing the element of god-magic from the universe leads only to the conclusion that the universe works itself without magic. If they don't admit this, they basically need to appoint a new deity to run things.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-11-2014, 05:24 PM
(23-11-2014 05:08 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Why would an atheist not accept a naturalism as a philosobull viewpoint?
Let's make no mistake; despite the few studies which suggest correlation between atheism and intelligence, atheists are no less prone to Woo-ish bullshittery than anybody else; there are plenty of atheists who believe in ghosts and magic and the like.

Why would an atheist accept naturalism as a philosobull view?
Naturalism due to it's having no room for things outside the natural has no space for deities either, which are by nature universally reported to either be supernatural or an over-glorified natural process. Of course, it rejects the hippy 'glorified process' god as well because the natural process doesn't need that extra borderline supernatural element.
Atheist who are not embroiled in Woo would logically default to the stance of naturalism even if they didn't know it existed, as a logical consequence of removing the element of god-magic from the universe leads only to the conclusion that the universe works itself without magic. If they don't admit this, they basically need to appoint a new deity to run things.

Cool. I'm think I'm on board. Nothing's magic (thus far lol).

BUT when they say everything is natural, is that an absolute / is that gnostic knowledge, or is naturalism saying that it's extremely probable that everything is natural.

23-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Based on my religion class (so this could be absolute bs)

Naturalism is when everything that organic things do is directly tied into their genes. As in the reasons for liking chocolate milk and sadism both are predetermined by your genes.

This seems to be a load of bs. I think it's just plain wrong and my school needs to update their definition of whatever this is.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
23-11-2014, 05:37 PM
(23-11-2014 05:29 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Based on my religion class (so this could be absolute bs)

First off, that made me laugh.

Anyway, I'm looking it up right now. From my very limited knowledge, it seems to be that everything has a cause. it's the opposite of believing in the supernatural. "All known phenomena are governed by the laws of causation. Including life." This brings up philosophical paradox of "do we really have free will" which is probably what you're talking about when you reference everything is based on our genes. Here's my sources thus far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXzWt5LWXtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgVgAqpFxMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauXU1DlhYs