What's Next For Apologetics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2015, 09:52 AM
RE: What's Next For Apologetics?
(01-05-2015 09:51 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 09:46 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Yes, can u tell I am a fan of her lectures? lol...

I suppose you are considering what have you written about them Smile

ha ha Wink I'm going to check out those books you sent me this weekend...

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2015, 09:56 AM
(01-05-2015 09:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 09:51 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I suppose you are considering what have you written about them Smile

ha ha Wink I'm going to check out those books you sent me this weekend...

I'm glad.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-05-2015, 07:39 AM
OK, for anyone who cares, I consulted all my Bibles, and this is how the various translations render "Satan" in the book of Job:

"Satan": by far the most common, this appears in the KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, NAB (original edition), NASB, NIV, Douay/Rheims Challoner revision (although one of my two editions of this does not capitalize the name), Jerusalem, New Jerusalem, Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, NET Bible, ESV, and the New English Bible. Note that most of these have footnotes admitting that "the satan" is a more accurate translation of the Hebrew.

"(a) Satan": this appears in the original Douay/Rheims.

"the satan": NAB (newest edition).

"the Adversary": this appears in the Jewish Publication Society's Tanakh (Old Testament only, naturally), in Robert Alter's translation, and in the Revised English Bible (although they revert to "Satan" after the initial appearance).

"the Accuser": used by Stephen Mitchell and Raymond P. Scheindlin (Mitchell introduces the character as "the Accusing Angel" but uses "the Accuser" thereafter).

"man's Enemy/the Enemy": John Knox.

"the devil": St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint.

Finally, the Amplified Bible, consistent with its methodology, tries to cover all bases with "Satan (the adversary and accuser)".
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-05-2015, 07:52 AM
(04-05-2015 07:39 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  OK, for anyone who cares, I consulted all my Bibles, and this is how the various translations render "Satan" in the book of Job:

"Satan": by far the most common, this appears in the KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, NAB (original edition), NASB, NIV, Douay/Rheims Challoner revision (although one of my two editions of this does not capitalize the name), Jerusalem, New Jerusalem, Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, NET Bible, ESV, and the New English Bible. Note that most of these have footnotes admitting that "the satan" is a more accurate translation of the Hebrew.

"the Adversary": this appears in the Jewish Publication Society's Tanakh (Old Testament only, naturally), in Robert Alter's translation, and in the Revised English Bible (although they revert to "Satan" after the initial appearance).

"the Accuser": used by Stephen Mitchell and Raymond P. Scheindlin (Mitchell introduces the character as "the Accusing Angel" but uses "the Accuser" thereafter).

Finally, the Amplified Bible, consistent with its methodology, tries to cover all bases with "Satan (the adversary and accuser)".

Cool, thanks for checking into all of that Smile One of the books I was reading by Hector Avalos was saying the same thing--not just in respect to (the) Satan--but in respect to the whole Bible. A lot of passages have been translated in several different ways. Weird how an all powerful God doesn't want everyone to have the same version of the Bible lol Consider

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-05-2015, 09:51 AM
(04-05-2015 07:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 07:39 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  OK, for anyone who cares, I consulted all my Bibles, and this is how the various translations render "Satan" in the book of Job:

Cool, thanks for checking into all of that Smile One of the books I was reading by Hector Avalos was saying the same thing--not just in respect to (the) Satan--but in respect to the whole Bible. A lot of passages have been translated in several different ways. Weird how an all powerful God doesn't want everyone to have the same version of the Bible lol Consider

It would be strange if god existed. Otherwise it is what one should except.

Satan aside, look on Mary mother of Christ supposed virgin. Hebrew word almah means child of marriageable age - or - a childless young women. When one speak about virgins in OT word betulah is used.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
04-05-2015, 10:30 AM
I think the only step you can take after Sye's style of apologetics is to simply not show up to debates at all.
Just have a sign on the podium that says "god exists".
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Dr. Elaine Pagels, (Princeton) wrote : "The Origin of Satan: How Christians Demonized Jews, Pagans, and Heretics". Evil messenger angels came from Babylon, (like a whole lot of the rest of OT material) ... and it's why many of the angels are named as they are : Micha-el, Rapha-el, Gabri-el ... messengers of El (Elyon).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post