What's That "Bwoop" that precedes all Robocalls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2017, 12:37 PM
What's That "Bwoop" that precedes all Robocalls?
It certainly lets me hang up without wasting any time - but I noticed that it preceded all robot calls. Is there some robot software that all the robocallers use? I hope they don't catch on that their "bwoop" provides an instant signal to hang up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2017, 12:53 PM
RE: What's That "Bwoop" that precedes all Robocalls?
A robofart???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Never heard it...if I don't recognize the caller I don't pick up. Nice to know that's a feature now.
06-07-2017, 01:24 PM
(06-07-2017 12:37 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  It certainly lets me hang up without wasting any time - but I noticed that it preceded all robot calls. Is there some robot software that all the robocallers use? I hope they don't catch on that their "bwoop" provides an instant signal to hang up.

Yes! I've noticed that. I get so many robocalls on our landline phone that I don't answer it anymore. I don't even know why we have a land line anymore. An emergency, maybe? I donno.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-07-2017, 01:53 PM
"Bwoop" means hello in Robot. At least that's what it says in my Robot to English dictionary Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
06-07-2017, 07:17 PM
I am on the MA Consumers' Do-Not-Call Registry list. If I get an unsolicited robocall, I report it and the caller will have to pay a fine of up to $3,000. I have no patience for telemarketers of any kind. Dodgy
06-07-2017, 07:25 PM
That sound is a compressed statement that, when unpacked, says, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you".
06-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Actually, there's no one listening to the dialing. The bot listens for a connection signal, meaning you've picked up. It then puts that call in the queue with an audible signal to the telephone relay system. If there's a crook that's not on the phone trying to steal someone's money at that time they'll take the call. Otherwise the system hangs up and keeps on going down the list.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-07-2017, 10:42 PM
(06-07-2017 07:35 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Actually, there's no one listening to the dialing. The bot listens for a connection signal, meaning you've picked up. It then puts that call in the queue with an audible signal to the telephone relay system. If there's a crook that's not on the phone trying to steal someone's money at that time they'll take the call. Otherwise the system hangs up and keeps on going down the list.

I have a friend who worked for a phone company. He tells me that that these people have to pay for the call, once it is answered. If it rolls to voice mail, they hang up (this much I have seen as true, as we have an answering machine to screen calls, and it displays the number on the TV screen, though I don't watch TV, so don't know about that- but my wife does). He also told me that there is a list of numbers that he has seen that come from the callers that repeat, but which also seem to come from different area codes. Spoofing all over the place, I guess.