What's The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Done

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 10:11 AM
RE: What's The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Done
Throwing buckets of water onto the road in winter and then calling the police, before retreating to a safe distance to watch...

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2015, 12:19 PM
In graduate school, I got charged with cleaning out the lab refrigerator that had the pyrophoric (ignite on contact with air) reagents and "quenching" the old bottles. Quenching the old bottles involved slowwwwwwly adding rubbing alcohol to the bottle of pyrophoric reagent. When a drop of rubbing alcohol hit the reagent, it would pop sharply and fizz and bubble, but adding a little at a time was not big deal with most reagents.

The problem was the old bottles of 10 molar (VERY concentrated) n-butyllithium. Most of these had solidified from being so concentrated and reacted violently with the rubbing alcohol. However, the biggest problem was that the rubbing alcohol didn't penetrate the solid and eventually you would have a lot of rubbing alcohol sitting on top of the solid. I would have to get a spatula to dig into the solid to get the rubbing alcohol deeper into the bottle. When the rubbing alcohol made its way into the whole made by the spatula, this resulted in some of the most violent reactions I have ever experienced. I still get cold sweats thinking about how bad it could have been if one of those bottles caught on fire.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
23-01-2015, 01:38 PM
(23-01-2015 10:11 AM)bemore Wrote:  Throwing buckets of water onto the road in winter and then calling the police, before retreating to a safe distance to watch...

That's not stupid. That's fucking brilliant!
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
23-01-2015, 03:00 PM
I once managed to knock myself out while under a car up on blocks by twisting off a bolt and hitting myself with a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar to the head......

When I came to - I sat up and clonked my forehead on something sharp - and knocked myself out again......

When I came to - I was too weak to sit up - luckily -- or I'd probably still be there...................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 8 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-01-2015, 03:45 PM
(23-01-2015 03:00 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I once managed to knock myself out while under a car up on blocks by twisting off a bolt and hitting myself with a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar to the head......

When I came to - I sat up and clonked my forehead on something sharp - and knocked myself out again......

When I came to - I was too weak to sit up - luckily -- or I'd probably still be there...................

Laugh out load

Sorry to laugh, but that sequence of events would be perfectly at home in a Three Stooges film...
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-01-2015, 04:10 PM
(23-01-2015 03:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 03:00 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I once managed to knock myself out while under a car up on blocks by twisting off a bolt and hitting myself with a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar to the head......

Laugh out load

Sorry to laugh, but that sequence of events would be perfectly at home in a Three Stooges film...

No need to apologize... I laugh about it too....

Once I blew myself up.... Gunpowder, cannons and tequila should be kept in separate areas...... I was quite scorched, hair smoking - and my girlfriend and her daughter were laughing hysterically. They said the resemblance to Wile E. Coyote was remarkable.......

Even I, with second and third degree burns laughed... Of course the tequila was still working...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Onlinebiker, so far we know you have knocked yourself out, blown yourself up, and you know a guy named Happy.

Any chance you live in a doublewide? Big Grin
I'm just fuckin with ya
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
23-01-2015, 05:10 PM
(23-01-2015 04:22 PM)pablo Wrote:  Onlinebiker, so far we know you have knocked yourself out, blown yourself up, and you know a guy named Happy.

Any chance you live in a doublewide? Big Grin
I'm just fuckin with ya

Nawww nothing so modern....

heh

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-01-2015, 05:28 PM
(23-01-2015 12:19 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  In graduate school, I got charged with cleaning out the lab refrigerator that had the pyrophoric (ignite on contact with air) reagents and "quenching" the old bottles. Quenching the old bottles involved slowwwwwwly adding rubbing alcohol to the bottle of pyrophoric reagent. When a drop of rubbing alcohol hit the reagent, it would pop sharply and fizz and bubble, but adding a little at a time was not big deal with most reagents.

The problem was the old bottles of 10 molar (VERY concentrated) n-butyllithium. Most of these had solidified from being so concentrated and reacted violently with the rubbing alcohol. However, the biggest problem was that the rubbing alcohol didn't penetrate the solid and eventually you would have a lot of rubbing alcohol sitting on top of the solid. I would have to get a spatula to dig into the solid to get the rubbing alcohol deeper into the bottle. When the rubbing alcohol made its way into the whole made by the spatula, this resulted in some of the most violent reactions I have ever experienced. I still get cold sweats thinking about how bad it could have been if one of those bottles caught on fire.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine trying to make pipe bombs when we were kids. Best thing about it, it blew up in his face more than once. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-01-2015, 03:20 AM
(21-01-2015 06:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 01:30 PM)JakSiemasz Wrote:  Got married when I was 23 years old.............

Me too. ... 30 years ago now. Weeping

(21-01-2015 05:54 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I was 16 and wanted to impress a guy. Now I grew up mainly on a small farm so me thinking I'm a bad ass girl I tried to jump a barbed wire fence. Yep u guessed it I didn't make it.

Could've been worse. You could've been a guy.

(21-01-2015 05:54 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I have a huge scare on my leg to prove it. I call it my stupidity scar. Although I have an amazing daughter out of that. Wink

That sounds like an unusual birthing experience.

No we dated for a while and I got pregnant at 17. It's ok she is an amazing girl. I'm glad I had my kids so early in life. Now I can enjoy life with more knowledge and experience. Plus I'll be a great glammie. Smile