What's Up!? : My Story

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2014, 01:48 PM
What's Up!? : My Story
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just wanted to say what's up and share my story. I'm 23 years old. I went to Catholic grade school and high school, however, it was partially due to the fact that public schools in my area weren't very safe so Catholic school provided a safe learning environment for me. Catholic school wasn't a terrible experience. We had to attend Mass once a week as a class which was yawn inducing and I'd usually fall asleep in the pew. Aside from that "Religion" was obviously one of our subjects of study, but we never learned about other religions, of course, only Catholicism. It was a very easy subject at least, pretty much a guaranteed A. My biggest gripe about my experience with Catholoc school is the lack of objectivety. I did have all of the basic science courses: Physics, Biology, Chemistry, but I don't recall ever learning about evolution. That pisses me off. Good thing I furthered my education and now I'm at a public college. Growing up I was always a half-ass Christian. Deep down I knew it was complete nonsense. The only reason I believed was because of indoctrination and I often used it as a coping mechanism. I avoided the deep questions because it was always too scary to think about. Three years ago I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and it changed my perspective on life. Once I finally got better and wasn't in excruciating pain I began to question my "faith," which was already rocky to say the least. It only took me a few days to realize the spectacular lack of logic and the ironic lack of morals associated with all religions. From that point until a few months ago I considered myself a Deist, maybe agnostic. I didn't really think about it too much after that. However, about a year ago me and my girlfriend of five years broke up and it seemed like one thing after another was going wrong for me. You see even though I was never convinced of a "God" I always had this notion that there was some abstract divine universal power at work, which aligns with the saying "things happen for a reason." That was the worst part for me, accepting the fact that many things occur randomly and other things occur for logical reasons, but never for some divine purpose. So if I'm down on my luck and things are going bad for me its up to me to turn things around, not "good things come to those who wait." I researched even more and became an atheist. I don't feel down about it though, in fact its quite the opposite. I feel liberated. I love the Ricky Gervais quote "atheists having nothing to die for , we have everything to live for." Being an atheist means I value every second and I want to make the very most of this life because I truly believe it is the only one. I'm not afraid of death because I think it will feel a lot like 1874... in other words nothingness or ultimate peace. I don't need to cling fairy tales and mind-numbing stories that are based on the writings of desert people of thousands of years ago.

When I told my parents I was an atheist my dad didn't believe me and my mom thought I was going through a phase. Over time I convinced them that I was being serious. They're stuck in their ways but their fairly accepting of my beliefs. My parents as well as the rest of my family and friends only go to church when its convienent (like easter and xmas) for them and they only ask for prayers when someone dies. A couple of my friends are agnostic to some extent, if that makes any sense. But its unbelievably irritating to hear people mention god in everyday conversation, hear religious references at sporting events and concerts, all of my favorite athletes thank god on a regular basis, and the list goes on and on.... So I joined the forum to let out my frustration and discuss deep topics with open-minded people because there's a serious lack of that in my life. Also, even though I came out to my parents and close friends I'm still hesitant to express my beliefs to new people, family and friends that I don't have close relationshops with, and on social networking sites.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant I don't blame you if you skip it. Just wanted to introduce myself! amen
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ImJustSaiyan's post
26-07-2014, 02:32 PM
RE: What's Up!? : My Story
Welcome!

You will find other ex-Catholics here...myself included.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Welcome!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Way too long for my squirrel like attention span but welcome! I'm sure you'll fit in very well.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-07-2014, 10:52 PM
tldr2
Hi ImJustSaiyan, good to have you here. It may be easier on the eyes, if you worked that wall of information into maybe groups of 4 or 5 line paragraphs. Just Sayin' (doh!)

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-07-2014, 06:13 AM
Welcome

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller