What's YOUR testimony?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2012, 02:08 PM
What's YOUR testimony?
I grew up a Christian. And one of the things that continued to convince me that Christianity was true was the emotional testimonies of "Life Change" that resulted from accepting Christ.

Then I realized that ALL religions have these testimonies. And that it's just an emotional placebo.

I saw this testimony from an Muslim actress who "accepted Allah." It looks just like most of the Christian testimonies I've seen. You could replace the name of Allah with the name of Jesus in this and it would be identical.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onedream's post
19-12-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: What's YOUR testimony?
Good topic.
I remember, as a teenager and young adult, that my "testimony" always felt weak compared with the people who were the stereotypical drug-addict turned Evangelist. I grew up in a Christian family, always knowing God and always going to church, so my conversion story was pretty boring. But like you, it was the hardcore cases that became Christians that always worked to support my own faith that God was real.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-12-2012, 02:14 PM
It kind of started that way for me too as far as questioning. But it wasn't even so much the idea that other people had similar testimonies, it was just the fact that there were other religions with populations greater than that of the Christian population. The sheer fact that other, completely different and mutually exclusive, religions exist at the same time and make the same claims about their validity, caused me serious doubt.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Erxomai, I feel ya. I was a pastor's kid. And I had no big testimony. But the stories of peoples' lives being changed by "Christ" helped lend validity. Now I see that Christians aren't alone in our "emotional placebo.'

TheBeardedDude, that was one of the first things that got me thinking too. "What are the odds that I was born into the ONLY correct religion? Further, what are the odds that ALL religions are wrong except one of them?

No, the odds are much greater that ALL religion is wrong.
[+] 3 users Like onedream's post
19-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it was Hitchens (who has since been paraphrased by many, including Seth) who said that all the religions of the world cannot possibly be right as most are mutually exclusive, but they can all be wrong.

I wish I had heard that 10 years ago.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-12-2012, 04:53 PM
(19-12-2012 02:21 PM)onedream Wrote:  TheBeardedDude, that was one of the first things that got me thinking too. "What are the odds that I was born into the ONLY correct religion? Further, what are the odds that ALL religions are wrong except one of them?

No, the odds are much greater that ALL religion is wrong.
Indeed. I've talked to a lot of Christians, though, and asked them what the odds are of them being born into the "correct" religion, and they say they "feel" it to be true. Apparently it doesn't bother them that Jews, Muslims, and members of other Christian denominations feel exactly the same way, for exactly the same reasons. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
19-12-2012, 06:36 PM
(19-12-2012 02:08 PM)onedream Wrote:  I grew up a Christian. And one of the things that continued to convince me that Christianity was true was the emotional testimonies of "Life Change" that resulted from accepting Christ.

Then I realized that ALL religions have these testimonies. And that it's just an emotional placebo.

I saw this testimony from an Muslim actress who "accepted Allah." It looks just like most of the Christian testimonies I've seen. You could replace the name of Allah with the name of Jesus in this and it would be identical.

Onedream, good to have ya back. I missed your insightful threads!

My testimony: I was brought into it. When I was young and forced to go to church I would have this cold shiver run through my back and a feeling of numbness come over me. I thought that was God's power tingling my senses. Then I figured out the Church was fucking cold and boring.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
19-12-2012, 07:01 PM
(19-12-2012 06:36 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
(19-12-2012 06:36 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 02:08 PM)onedream Wrote:  I grew up a Christian. And one of the things that continued to convince me that Christianity was true was the emotional testimonies of "Life Change" that resulted from accepting Christ.

Onedream, good to have ya back. I missed your insightful threads!

My testimony: I was brought into it. When I was young and forced to go to church I would have this cold shiver run through my back and a feeling of numbness come over me. I thought that was God's power tingling my senses. Then I figured out the Church was fucking cold and boring.
19-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I wanted the benefits that I thought religion could give me. Then I realized the benefits were actually all in my head, and amounted to less than what I could come up with on my own.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  '2 and 1/2 Men' Star's Testimony guitar_nut 19 943 29-11-2012 02:48 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys