What's Your O.C.D.?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2015, 09:43 AM
RE: What's Your O.C.D.?
What's with all the neat freaks here?

I was the youngest of 6 kids and our house was always messy but we had lots of fun with all our hobbies, art work, music playing, piles of books to read and general clutter. My mother had no intention of trying to keep the house clean. None. It was more important for us to enjoy our childhood and have a great time and that great time didn't involve much cleaning up or military-like order. It was a free-for-all upbringing, no religion, no guilt over a mess. Thank you Mom and Dad.

I think that's why I'm not a germaphobe. I find germaphobes and neat-nuts kinda persnickety and uptight.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
28-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Been a long time since I've been called uptight lol

Just because someone keeps a neat house doesn't mean they don't enjoy having fun and making a mess. I fully believe kids should be outside making mud pies and learning through messY activities

When I worked in childcare I was the go to person for the fun messy stuff. Making slime, play doh etc!

I just don't want hobbit to be embarrassed when she brings her friends home. Lol. Plus, especially as a baby, keeps her environment safe for her

There is also a difference between dirty and messy.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
28-01-2015, 10:26 AM
(28-01-2015 09:56 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Been a long time since I've been called uptight lol

Just because someone keeps a neat house doesn't mean they don't enjoy having fun and making a mess. I fully believe kids should be outside making mud pies and learning through messY activities

When I worked in childcare I was the go to person for the fun messy stuff. Making slime, play doh etc!

I just don't want hobbit to be embarrassed when she brings her friends home. Lol. Plus, especially as a baby, keeps her environment safe for her

There is also a difference between dirty and messy.

We lived in a cabin up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, had an outhouse and no hot water. We took a bath once a week because but in order to take a hot bath my mother had to boil water on a stove and pour it into a big metal tub and mix it with cold water. I think the metal tub was originally used for a horse trough. To save the trouble of a lot of baths my sister and I took a bath together in the tub. In the summer we took a bar of soap down to the Truckee River and splashed around in the freezing water with the soap and called ourselves clean. I was probably covered in dirt and germs from babyhood until 12 years old when we moved to a different house.

As a family we looked like we came out of the book Tobacco Road but the interesting thing is that we were hardly ever sick. None of us ever had an ear infection even though we swam in filthy water and took baths together. But damn, it was such fun. I wouldn't trade my filthy, dirty, poverty ridden, oblivious to religion, childhood with anyone. Big Grin Thumbsup

By the way, this was in the early to mid 1960's and I googled the area of that cabin and it's still there. My grandfather had built it in the 1920's.

(Sorry, off topic.)

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
28-01-2015, 10:32 AM
(28-01-2015 08:14 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  ... including people using the term OCD to describe some habit or pet peeve that they have...

Glad you said it. I didn't want to sound like the only one.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
28-01-2015, 10:35 AM
(28-01-2015 09:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think that's why I'm not a germaphobe. I find germaphobes and neat-nuts kinda persnickety and uptight.

I recently told someone that when I eat Cheetos, I'll let my cat lick the cheese off and I'll eat the soggy leftover. As a kid, my sister would lick my sandwich; I'd shrug and eat it.

Pfft. My mouth had been in worst places.
28-01-2015, 11:31 AM
(28-01-2015 10:35 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 09:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think that's why I'm not a germaphobe. I find germaphobes and neat-nuts kinda persnickety and uptight.

I recently told someone that when I eat Cheetos, I'll let my cat lick the cheese off and I'll eat the soggy leftover. As a kid, my sister would lick my sandwich; I'd shrug and eat it.

Pfft. My mouth had been in worst places.

When we got bad scrapes and cuts my mom had our dog lick the wound. She figured the dog probably had some sort of antibiotic in it's saliva because since they lick their butts and it doesn't kill them they're gonna help heal a wound.

My mom was quite the character.

28-01-2015, 11:48 AM
(28-01-2015 10:35 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I recently told someone that when I eat Cheetos, I'll let my cat lick the cheese off and I'll eat the soggy leftover.

[Image: disgusted-oh-god-why-text-l.png]

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
28-01-2015, 12:26 PM
(28-01-2015 11:48 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 10:35 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I recently told someone that when I eat Cheetos, I'll let my cat lick the cheese off and I'll eat the soggy leftover.

[Image: disgusted-oh-god-why-text-l.png]
Because he likes the cheese.

Smile
28-01-2015, 01:11 PM
(28-01-2015 12:58 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  ...
stone me to death with dirty glasses ...

I used to be obsessively pedantic. I'm better now but sometimes...

People in stone houses shouldn't throw glasses.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-01-2015, 01:12 PM
(28-01-2015 06:52 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 09:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Depending on where I am I seem to be the only person who deliberately does it correctly. My brother seems to insist on placing rolls incorrectly, so I have to, every time, reset the roll. and at my mother's house we seem to be the only two who know how to do it at all!

I have no technique; just stubborn, obsessive wiping...

I really hope those are two unrelated issues
Consider

Dodgy

(28-01-2015 09:27 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 06:37 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I like everything to be neat and orderly. I have been known to spend hours obsessively attempting to re-arrange things in such a way as the be as near to exact in terms of a desired manner of order as possible, and there can be as little wasted space as possible: All DVDs/books/what-have-yous will occupy a certain amount of space on x amount of shelves, two shelves will be dedicated to empty space and one for unsightly storage of miscellaneous items and those which have physical profiles which do not allow them to be stored in a suitable manner.
When such cannot be achieved, I've been known to grow highly irrational and annoyed for reasons I cannot comprehend myself.

My glasses must be streak-free. There cannot be even the smallest of detectable streaks upon them, else I will clean them endlessly until they are actually clean.

I've been told off by my teachers in the past because I tend to obsessively re-write letters and words until they look 'right' to me.

All the notes in my wallet must face the same way and come into alignment.

If I am folding paper, the corners must be near-perfectly aligned (of course, the only applies to the first-fold, after which such alignment is impossible).

The only numbers I care for end in 0's or 5's. Anything else grates me.

The toilet paper roll must be facing away from the wall. That way it is more efficient and comfortable to use.

I tend to refuse to hand-in assignments which are not 'perfect'. Of course, I can never reach said goal, so I've often missed out on points during my school-life as my work was never good enough. Ever.

I will break my stride to avoid stepping on the spaces between cement pavement blocks, or on large cracks within.

When I hang my clothing to dry, everything must be placed in an orderly way based on category; shirts and other upper-torso covering garments occupy one section of the rack or line, pants and such-likes occupy the section apart from them and undergarments occupy the space left in between.

If I am asked to clean a bench or some such, I often ask how clean the asker wants it; if not I might expend an inordinate amount of time on the project cleaning away every single stain or mark I can find until said area is totally clear of offending marks and detritus.

Geesh, Free Thought, hope you're not married. All your little foibles would drive me crazy. Relax, this is the one life we have and it's way too short to spend it endlessly fussing over stuff.

Oh well, whatever. Drinking Beverage

Have you seen me? Marriage will in all likelihood never be a problem for me. Nor long-term relationships.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.