What's Your Woo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2006, 08:16 AM
RE: What's Your Woo?
Not sure if mine is pure dumb luck, a guardian angel (yea, I know angels don't exist), or something else.

But there's been times in my life where I've said "holy, fucking shit I should be dead!- How the hell did I survive that without a scratch on my body?!!"

like the time I drove a snowmobile thru a large pine tree and barbed wire fence and saw the barbed wire go whizzing past the tips of my eyelashes as I was sliding under it in the snow.

Or the time I changed my mind about going with friends and they ended up dead with the car wrapped around the tree.

Or the driveby shooting of a graduation party and no one was hit.

Or when...... I unfortunately have a million instances.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 02:57 AM
What's Your Woo?
If we cast aside the curtain of pride and dare to take an honest and humble look at ourselves, we find that we are all fallible humans; each susceptible in his or her own way to various forms of "woo". This cannot be helped. None among us is entirely rational, and the fact is that we probably never will be. For all of our intellectual glamour and sophistocation, we may still, from time to time, hold certain beliefs or viewpoints which are less than reasonable.

Being that this is a somewhat tight-knit community of - for all intents and purposes - anonymous individuals who maintain (for the most part) open minds and understanding hearts; I think, personally, that we should be able to make known, if we so desire, the minor intellectual nonsenses which simmer just beneath the surfaces of our otherwise rational and down-to-earth minds.

For me, it's Sasquatch. I mean, I'm sorry, but it is. It's certainly lessened in its intensity over the past several months, but as a child, I was utterly fascinated by the concept of a tall, upright-walking hominid which stalks the remote recesses of our world. It frightened and fascinated me, and left a nearly indelible mark on my psyche. Please don't misunderstand me; I no longer argue positively for the existence of any "bigfoot" or "yeti". In fact, as of late, I've actually begun making fun of the idea and exercising an acute skepticism toward the notion itself. But I don't know...I've witnessed things. Not a sasquatch, but things which I personally cannot reasonably explain (a precise choice of words, there) and which I will not discuss because they are of little relevance in the realm of logic. I suppose, for the most part, I simply want it to be true, and what's more, it's a significant part of my childhood. There's a sentiment there which, while not entirely reasonable, I simply don't want to let go. This is a logical error, and I acknowledge this.

Again, don't misunderstand me. I no longer assert the existence of any hairy ape-man as being a legitimate part of our world. It's possible - like any "god" - but I'm not going to assert it. I'm now satisfied to count it among the "woo".

Still, if it transpires that I find myself in the woods of the Pacific northwest on a breezy Summer's evening...you can be sure there's gonna be a little part of me that's happy I have my .45 on my hip. And with a twinkle in my eye, I'll be hoping secretly for an encounter with an elusive myth. Wink

So...dare I ask...what's your woo?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2013, 06:29 AM
I believe that the incantations that my Jewish grandmother whispered over my cot when I was born is the reason why I am irresistible to women of all sexes.

I have no other explanation!

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
10-05-2013, 07:05 AM
(10-05-2013 06:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I am irresistible to women of all sexes

Yeah, I hadda read that twice.

Bigfoot, I believe, is that hyper-agency recognition thingy. You don't wanna get it wrong when it happens, so you practice seeing it happen. Cause I don't wanna see no Bigfoot. Big Grin

But I do believe pattern recognition carries through simultaneity to live past lives in the eternal now, so... Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-05-2013, 07:14 AM
For the past for weeks, I have been debating with myself about the creation of a thread I had planned to call something along the lines of "My Little Irrationality" which would have dealt with much the same things as this; the community members Little Irrationalities.

Thank you for creating this, it takes that concern off my back.

Aside from my joking belief that the Internet is Ancient Egypt incarnate, I really don't think I believe any woo that I am aware of. (but come on guys, you know I am right and the Internet being Ancient Egypt incarnate; most of it's denizens spend their hours writing on walls and pretty much worshipping cats)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
10-05-2013, 08:30 AM
stupid question- I'm new here. How did my post become the #1 in this thread? and is out of order from the others?

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
10-05-2013, 08:34 AM
(10-05-2013 08:30 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  stupid question- I'm new here. How did my post become the #1 in this thread? and is out of order from the others?

The forum glitches from time to time like this, tell a mod and they ought to be able to fix it.

Though I have never seen it force back a post to 2006.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
10-05-2013, 08:35 AM
(10-05-2013 08:30 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  stupid question- I'm new here. How did my post become the #1 in this thread? and is out of order from the others?
Posts appear in descending order, according to how stupid the woo believed in is. And since nothing comes even close to believing in guardian angels Tongue

Oh, and welcome Big Grin

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
10-05-2013, 09:04 AM

2006, even... Consider

God, where you been? Figures you'd show up on an atheist forum.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I was supposed to go to Saturday school for the amount of absences that I had and actually decided not to go.
The school was hit by a tornado.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post