What's a forum about?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 10:25 AM
What's a forum about?
I have been battling with staying or leaving this site. I've had it decided for me yesterday. For the most part all I seen is personal attacks on people. I had one on myself too. That was the deciding factor. If I want to get FUCK YOU thrown at me I would go to a bar. I refuse to stay on a site that all it is , is personal attacks and undue mean spirited hate. So I have dealt with enough hate for a life time. I don't need it on some stupid forum. Good bye
You need to stop and think about what you write.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 10:31 AM
RE: What's a forum about?
Care to be specific? Blaming an entire site full of people for attacks is a little ... undeserved.

See when you get a boat load of people all together personalities clash, ideas do battle, and arguments happen. You can't avoid that in life, you can't run from it, you can't pretend it doesn't happen. You just deal with it as best you can.
If for you that means leaving then so be it. Sucks but that's life.

However I would like to know the answer to the question posed in the thread title.

What is a forum about?

To me it's a place where you can come and share your thoughts and ideas, and learn about how other people think and operate. It's a valuable resource to be exploited.
It's a place to find community, and to even maybe make friends. It's a place to bitch, and argue, it's a place to agree and disagree.
What is it to you?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
22-02-2012, 10:42 AM
(22-02-2012 10:25 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  I have been battling with staying or leaving this site. I've had it decided for me yesterday. For the most part all I seen is personal attacks on people. I had one on myself too. That was the deciding factor. If I want to get FUCK YOU thrown at me I would go to a bar. I refuse to stay on a site that all it is , is personal attacks and undue mean spirited hate. So I have dealt with enough hate for a life time. I don't need it on some stupid forum. Good bye
You need to stop and think about what you write.

[Image: far-side-god-jerks.jpg]

[Image: vjp09.gif]
22-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm sad to see you got NEOA Sad You were pretty cool.
22-02-2012, 12:07 PM
By Egor in jimmygun's thread?

The forum is a place with very few rules- I think we'd like to keep it that way. If you find Egor (or anyone) offensive, it would be best to put him on ignore. He's shown himself to be insensitive, callous, and overly aggressive at times. But I don't think it's cause for either party to leave- by force or choice.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
22-02-2012, 12:16 PM
(22-02-2012 12:07 PM)kineo Wrote:  By Egor in jimmygun's thread?

The forum is a place with very few rules- I think we'd like to keep it that way. If you find Egor (or anyone) offensive, it would be best to put him on ignore. He's shown himself to be insensitive, callous, and overly aggressive at times. But I don't think it's cause for either party to leave- by force or choice.

I have no idea whether the whole 'Egor' thing is what is being referred to in the OP but I'm assuming it is.

As far as Egor goes I don't find his conduct to be particularly tasteful at times, but I've also been rather irritated by people's reaction to him.

Can we really claim to hold the moral high ground when his threads have been derailed to shit and there have even been threads appear aimed at mocking him? I don't think so.

It also find it incredibly hypocritical when people feel he's derailing a thread or causing arguments that ruin a thread, and then they react by posting messages to him in that thread saying they don't agree and that he's a dick, that just derails the thread more. If he makes one post that people don't like and then six people reply to it, not only are they making him more likely to post there again, they're adding in more irrelevant posts.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
22-02-2012, 12:28 PM
People don't like to let his dickishness go unchallenged. Can you blame them?

I'd rather people not allow him to be a bully. I certainly won't. If it contributes to the thread derailment, then so be it. The thread split was a necessity.

22-02-2012, 12:29 PM
(22-02-2012 12:28 PM)kineo Wrote:  People don't like to let his dickishness go unchallenged. Can you blame them?

I'd rather people not allow him to be a bully. I certainly won't.

If someone feels he's derailing a thread and has a problem with it then they should PM him. That way they can discuss their concerns without derailing the thread even more and provoking him into posting on it again.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
22-02-2012, 12:44 PM
(22-02-2012 12:29 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 12:28 PM)kineo Wrote:  People don't like to let his dickishness go unchallenged. Can you blame them?

I'd rather people not allow him to be a bully. I certainly won't.

If someone feels he's derailing a thread and has a problem with it then they should PM him. That way they can discuss their concerns without derailing the thread even more and provoking him into posting on it again.

A PM works just as well sometimes, so I don't wholly disagree with you. The only downside is that no one else can contribute to the discussion.

If you're someone experiencing grief, anger, frustration and you come to this forum for support but encounter someone who aggressively shoves you in the direction you don't want to go (to put it mildly- this also includes dismissal of your grief)- which would you prefer? That people silently rebuke that person but you never see it and you're left to wonder why you even came here (where you thought you could get support from like-minded people), or that people publicly call that bully out for their tactlessness so you know you have support of the community?

I stayed out of jimmygun's thread specifically because of Egor because I knew that if I really started reading it I wouldn't be able to resist posting in response. But what little I did read was pretty shameful and I'm glad people called him out on it from what I could tell. It's unfortunate that it derailed the thread, but it was dealt with.

22-02-2012, 12:47 PM
(22-02-2012 12:44 PM)kineo Wrote:  A PM works just as well sometimes, so I don't wholly disagree with you. The only downside is that no one else can contribute to the discussion.

If you're someone experiencing grief, anger, frustration and you come to this forum for support but encounter someone who aggressively shoves you in the direction you don't want to go (to put it mildly- this also includes dismissal of your grief)- which would you prefer? That people silently rebuke that person but you never see it and you're left to wonder why you even came here (where you thought you could get support from like-minded people), or that people publicly call that bully out for their tactlessness so you know you have support of the community?

I stayed out of jimmygun's thread specifically because of Egor because I knew that if I really started reading it I wouldn't be able to resist posting in response. But what little I did read was pretty shameful and I'm glad people called him out on it from what I could tell. It's unfortunate that it derailed the thread, but it was dealt with.

Maybe the answer is for people to send PM's but just post a little message in the thread that they have done so. That way they can publicly show support without causing a heated debate that completely derails the thread.

Best
Worst
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forum hit over 500000 posts donotwant 4 248 05-03-2014 06:10 PM
Last Post: TSG
  This is the forum's 20,000th thread. Chas 21 363 02-03-2014 07:32 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor
Smile Packages to forum members! Ferdinand 46 945 18-01-2014 10:51 AM
Last Post: Ferdinand
Heart Fanfics about Forum Members Ferdinand 186 4,206 06-12-2013 10:34 PM