What's a saint?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2013, 12:20 AM
What's a saint?
This is something I don't understand. I have never been close to a Catholic, or any other Christian denominations that include saints. I've read up on what must happen to be considered a saint, but I don't know what they mean to religious people. I don't understand veneration, I don't know what role they allegedly serve with regards to the living (for example, are they supposed to protect the living from beyond the grave and so-forth). What does it mean when someone says that [saint] is the patron of [attribute]? Is that their specialty for intervening from death? Are saints given special favor in the afterlife? Thanks heathens.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 12:44 AM by Stevil.)
RE: What's a saint?
Sainthood by soapification
http://cogitz.wordpress.com/2009/09/10/i...e-corpses/
"The church viewed this as a measure of sanctity, and incorruptibles — people whose bodies mysteriously thwart decay — were canonized into the tenets of Catholic mysticism. Incorruptibility became a component of beatification — the process of becoming sainted."
02-09-2013, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 05:25 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Saint's are the Catholic Church's dead middle men, as opposed to their living priests and other members of their hierarchy. You must remember, that just because they believe in an all-powerful creator of the universe that is surely capable of doing anything, their god needs the help of fallible mortals on Earth to manages things on his behalf.

Because, Jesus...

What amazes me is how kitsch it all is, how amazingly brazen it is all made up as they go.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-09-2013, 03:32 AM
I think Atheists should start our own set of saints.

I nominate Paul Erdos.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
02-09-2013, 03:46 AM

(02-09-2013 03:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Saint's are the Catholic Church's dead middle men, as opposed to their living priests and other members of their hierarchy. You must remember, that just because they believe in an all-powerful creator of the universe that is surely capable of doing anything, their god needs the help of fallible mortals on Earth to manages things on his behalf.

I once found a message "Without you, God cannot fulfill his plans."

Anyway, I thought that when we die, we're dead until Jesus returns and resurrects us. In the Bible, there is no "heaven" for humans. There is only New Earth, which is created after this one. So, a dead person interceding for us is exactly the kind of superstition the RCC is supposedly against. I guess they figured out that after 2,000 years, JC apparently has no intention of coming back, so they invented this "heaven," where you go immediately when you die. Convenient.

There are over 10,000 saints (according to the site below),
http://www.catholic.org/saints/faq.php
so I don't think I'm wrong when I say that this makes Catholicism the most polytheistic religion in history. Enjoy the list:
http://www.catholic.org/saints/stindex.php
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Ah, easy peasy.

It's all part of the christian monotheistic / one-god policy.

There's the option to worship the trinity and all the thousands (over 8,000 according to http://catholicexchange.com/saints-101-h...are-there/ ) of saints when...

Huh

No, hang on.

Consider

The three are one and the beatification of all the dead...

Consider

Wait, I've got this.

Idea

It's like santa and his elves

Thumbsup

02-09-2013, 05:16 AM
Roger Moore. On the telly.

People believe in weird shit. One of the weird things people believe in, is dead people. One of the things the Catholic church believes in, is money. Match made in heaven. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-09-2013, 06:29 AM
My my protestant church "saint" was equivalent to "christian", or perhaps "true christian". That's how they dealt with the word appearing in the Bible while distancing themselves from the Catholic concept.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM
As I learned it, saint is anyone in heaven. People who are called saints here are just the ones the church could confirm were righteous enough to surely be in heaven.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
I think the Catholic church like to think that they are divinely guided.

By giving their fellowship Sainthood, by meeting certain miraculous criteria, they are trying to prove to their flock that the Catholic church is the way to heaven. It's conformation for those with this conformation bias

That god guides the church and gives her signals and proof that her loyal followers are going to heaven and looking down and helping out other Catholics.