What's everyone want for Xmas, Hanukkah, Festivus etc...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2016, 09:26 PM
RE: What's everyone want for Xmas, Hanukkah, Festivus etc...
I just want to relax a little... As for material items, I don't care so much.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like AnaBunny's post
16-12-2016, 09:26 PM
I don't really do holiday gifting, but I do love the post-Christmas shopping Smile

- I need a new lap top
- I could stand for a new pair of Bose headphones
- I could always use some new clothing and/or shoes
- I want new dishes
- I'm also thinking of some new flatware
- Oh, and I got myself some new highball glasses that I'll never use with some early Hanukkah money
(... No ladies at Bed Bath and Beyond, I do not want to create a wedding registry. Can't I just buy some home goods for myself?)
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
16-12-2016, 09:49 PM
(16-12-2016 09:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't really do holiday gifting, but I do love the post-Christmas shopping Smile

- I need a new lap top
- I want new dishes
- Oh, and I got myself some new highball glasses that I'll never use with some early Hanukkah money
(... No ladies at Bed Bath and Beyond, I do not want to create a wedding registry. Can't I just buy some home goods for myself?)

Aliza, do many Jewish people you know buy Hanukkah presents? My understanding is that Hanukkah presents are pretty simple but because it's sometimes at the same time as christmas it's become a bigger thing. I have a Jewish friend who loves to put up a christmas tree and buy presents but I don't think it's a christian thing for her at all. I don't know where she found it but she had a string of Menorah lights on the tree and a Star of David on the top. That's probably not too kosher though is it? Laugh out load

I always have thought of christmas as something fun to do in the middle of Winter when the days are short and the nights are long. Putting up christmas lights sort of brightens up the dark dreary winter months. At least that's the way it is in the Northern Hemisphere. It's also a way to keep the economy perking along. Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-12-2016, 10:25 PM
(16-12-2016 09:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 09:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't really do holiday gifting, but I do love the post-Christmas shopping Smile

- I need a new lap top
- I want new dishes

Aliza, do many Jewish people you know buy Hanukkah presents? My understanding is that Hanukkah presents are pretty simple but because it's sometimes at the same time as christmas it's become a bigger thing. I have a Jewish friend who loves to put up a christmas tree and buy presents but I don't think it's a christian thing for her at all. I don't know where she found it but she had a string of Menorah lights on the tree and a Star of David on the top. That's probably not too kosher though is it? Laugh out load

No, definitely not kosher!Laugh out load "Hanukkah Bushes," as they're known, are very frowned upon in the circles I travel in. I've heard of people who do this, and I've even seen one, but this practice is viewed as a total sell out. -Because why would we want to emulate the Christians? The logic is that if we emulate Christians, our kids will marry them and then our grand kids will be totally assimilated and they'll be jumping up and down in the church pews, worshiping Jesus.

As for gifts, I think it's really something that is more done for children. I don't know the history of Hanukkah gift giving, but I've always concluded that it was a western concession so kids didn't feel left out when their Christian neighbors got a haul of toys. Gifts used to be more practical (socks, books, clothing, etc), but I think these days, Jewish families as a whole are buying more extravagant gifts for their kids. In my family, the kids will have one of the eight nights with an extravagant gift, and the rest of the nights have more modest gifts.

Adults don't exchange gifts among my family and friends. We also don't send holiday greetings or put up decorations. We do, however, make latkes and donuts. Yummy!
16-12-2016, 11:30 PM
(16-12-2016 10:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 09:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Aliza, do many Jewish people you know buy Hanukkah presents? My understanding is that Hanukkah presents are pretty simple but because it's sometimes at the same time as christmas it's become a bigger thing. I have a Jewish friend who loves to put up a christmas tree and buy presents but I don't think it's a christian thing for her at all. I don't know where she found it but she had a string of Menorah lights on the tree and a Star of David on the top. That's probably not too kosher though is it? Laugh out load

No, definitely not kosher!Laugh out load "Hanukkah Bushes," as they're known, are very frowned upon in the circles I travel in. I've heard of people who do this, and I've even seen one, but this practice is viewed as a total sell out. -Because why would we want to emulate the Christians? The logic is that if we emulate Christians, our kids will marry them and then our grand kids will be totally assimilated and they'll be jumping up and down in the church pews, worshiping Jesus.

As for gifts, I think it's really something that is more done for children. I don't know the history of Hanukkah gift giving, but I've always concluded that it was a western concession so kids didn't feel left out when their Christian neighbors got a haul of toys. Gifts used to be more practical (socks, books, clothing, etc), but I think these days, Jewish families as a whole are buying more extravagant gifts for their kids. In my family, the kids will have one of the eight nights with an extravagant gift, and the rest of the nights have more modest gifts.

Adults don't exchange gifts among my family and friends. We also don't send holiday greetings or put up decorations. We do, however, make latkes and donuts. Yummy!

Well, my Jewish friend, Sandy-Jo, is pretty secular and looooves to shop for presents so there ya go. I've never been a Christian but I enjoy bringing something green into the house in the winter. I spent much of my childhood climbing the Sugar Pine trees in the Sierras and bring down their cones which we would then sell to tourists for extra money. Some of them are over a foot long. ( I just pulled this off of google images)

[Image: DSCN3383-768x1024.jpg]

So I have to have a tree in the winter. To me it has nothing to do with christianity at all. Unfortunately for the poor tree, it gets covered with strands of crystals and even a few real Swarovski's crystals. In the end it looks more be-jeweled and sparkly white thing than an evergreen tree. Oh well!Tongue

Now what the hell was this thread about? I forgot. Consider

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-12-2016, 01:32 AM
Money.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-12-2016, 03:56 AM
A sandwich.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-12-2016, 04:29 AM
I haven't gotten laid for a while, so a pleasant fucking would be good Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-12-2016, 05:40 AM
Solitude.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
17-12-2016, 05:42 AM
(16-12-2016 11:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 10:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  No, definitely not kosher!Laugh out load "Hanukkah Bushes," as they're known, are very frowned upon in the circles I travel in. I've heard of people who do this, and I've even seen one, but this practice is viewed as a total sell out. -Because why would we want to emulate the Christians? The logic is that if we emulate Christians, our kids will marry them and then our grand kids will be totally assimilated and they'll be jumping up and down in the church pews, worshiping Jesus.

Well, my Jewish friend, Sandy-Jo, is pretty secular and looooves to shop for presents so there ya go. I've never been a Christian but I enjoy bringing something green into the house in the winter. I spent much of my childhood climbing the Sugar Pine trees in the Sierras and bring down their cones which we would then sell to tourists for extra money. Some of them are over a foot long. ( I just pulled this off of google images)

[Image: DSCN3383-768x1024.jpg]

So I have to have a tree in the winter. To me it has nothing to do with christianity at all. Unfortunately for the poor tree, it gets covered with strands of crystals and even a few real Swarovski's crystals. In the end it looks more be-jeweled and sparkly white thing than an evergreen tree. Oh well!Tongue

Now what the hell was this thread about? I forgot. Consider

Are you gonna use that for....

If so, I advise against it. Cool

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post